For those struggling to dial in tones

Awesome video, thanks for the tipsies! It's always good to get reminded that if it doesn't sound right then it is 99% probably a setting somewhere, rather than giving up and blaming the gear.

I think so but I'm not sure... I just plug in and play. I'll find out Saturday.

Thanks again for this thread.

~ss

Just my 2 cents here, I play 535s as well, I struggled with them until one day my sound engineer pointed out that I had my IEM levels WAAAAY too loud for my ears. I turned the levels down a bit and this made a world of difference to my tone through my 535s. Now and then I forgot the advice and the level creeps up, almost always I notice I sound terrible and then I edge the level down again and it sounds great!

hello,, new here,
I am having a lag between switching scenes,, its long enough to thow me off, Is there something I can do to bring down the lag time between sceens,? I am using one amp and various efx and gain, to build a 4 scene basic rig, cleaand to crunch to lead,,,,,scenes across the bottom and efx on the top, its about 80-85 percent CPU usage,,, are pre sets faster?

Thanks

hello,, new here,
I am having a lag between switching scenes,, its long enough to thow me off, Is there something I can do to bring down the lag time between sceens,? I am using one amp and various efx and gain, to build a 4 scene basic rig, cleaand to crunch to lead,,,,,scenes across the bottom and efx on the top, its about 80-85 percent CPU usage,,, are pre sets faster?

Thanks

Lag is caused by switching the X/Y state of the amp or cab block. The best approach is to attach a scene controller to the input drive to control your gain between stages; if you look in this thread you'll find this issue addressed https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...icks-compiled-list.116158/page-5#post-1541583

Ive seen a ton of vids, and watched utube for 3 hours,tried to build lean presets, and still, big enough lag between the scens and presets unless i have almost no efx in the chain,having some real issues getting presets to cover all my tunes, is there a way to increese the memory so it can handle it without overloading the CPU? tried the Glen Dulane presets and there is still lag between changes,I just cant have a hole in my switching esp since I am the only gt, in the band, its very noticeable esp coming thru a loud PA, says my sound man,
This thing sounds great, the efxs are stellar, the editor is fantastic, but the lag might be a dealbreaker,I would have GLADLY paid another 2-300 bucks to just have this unit be able to handle things, without stalling, and turning off efx,, This is not a bashing, I also own 2 other devices in this class, just trying to find the right unit for me,,
Thanks all

So changing amps, and X/Y switching cause/contribute to lag,,,,The whole idea was to be able to have a marshall lead tone with a fender clean tone,matchless rythem crunch,etc..,and full pedalboard set up,at my service,,, but if all these changes amps causes lag, if X/Y causes lag, if too many efxs,cause, lag,,whats the solution? a lot of these tunes need pitch changes, drop tuning, tons of chorus and delay, all on at the same time,going from crystal clean twang to marshall stack,,,,there must be routing schemes to control the CPU drain,,,like Ive said I spent the whole day yesterday on Utube with this in friont of me,researching ,I am a guitar player, not a tech,,but this old dog is tryin hard,to learn new tricks,this might not be the right tool for the job Im doing ,,maybe its,, operator error??? could be,
again not bashing ,,at all,,,,,just trying to get this sorted out so I can use this,I like it,thanks for any help.,, directions,,

If there's no way to avoid having to switch amps then you should get an AxeFx. Many around here found their way with only one amp controlling the input gain, adding drives or using an amp bypass for clean tones. Depends on your requirements.

In my most humble opinion, options and capability can be paralyzing sometimes. Being able to switch from a guitar sound at one end of the spectrum to something completely opposite is incredible, I mean, what a time we live in where this is even possible without a complex switching system controlling multiple amps! But when is enough enough?

I have played in cover bands, wedding bands, and for major recording artists, both in studio and on tour. I say that to say I have never needed to have 3 or more completely different tones avaible at an INSTANT...not ever. The volume knob, pickup selector and touch can do wonders for changing the inherent sound of the guitar. i wonder if the sheer sound quality and capability of the Fractal stuff leaves us wanting more more more always. I mean, why not 8 complete rigs? Why not 12? I am not bashing your needs for live performance at all! No one can tell you what the right rig or sound is ultimately. I'm on this quest for flexibility just like you so I speak from a place of brotherhood, not of judgement. I've had the AX8 for about 6 months and between the X/Y, patch change, and drive settings, I've been able to cover absolutely everything that's ever been asked of me by the producers and artists I work with. It's really been a complete solution for me. Often, when I'm preparing for a tour, I'll build a super complex rig and eventually find my way back to something simple. I get lost in the exacting nature of my desire for accuracy and specificity of tone which can really detract from my actual musical performance. I then simplify and sit back and just play and it always works out better in the end. That being said, sounds like you need an Axe FX2. Good luck on your quest! Let us know what you go with.

Last edited:
Ive seen a ton of vids, and watched utube for 3 hours,tried to build lean presets, and still, big enough lag between the scens and presets unless i have almost no efx in the chain,having some real issues getting presets to cover all my tunes, is there a way to increese the memory so it can handle it without overloading the CPU? tried the Glen Dulane presets and there is still lag between changes,I just cant have a hole in my switching esp since I am the only gt, in the band, its very noticeable esp coming thru a loud PA, says my sound man,
This thing sounds great, the efxs are stellar, the editor is fantastic, but the lag might be a dealbreaker,I would have GLADLY paid another 2-300 bucks to just have this unit be able to handle things, without stalling, and turning off efx,, This is not a bashing, I also own 2 other devices in this class, just trying to find the right unit for me,,
Thanks all

The solution is in the post by Leon (2112) just above. It is to use scene controllers to adjust the amp gain and volume to get different drive levels and avoid amp x/y switching. I have an all purpose 5 scene preset that goes from clean up to very dirty with no switching lag. If you absolutely have to have 2 different amps in the same patch then there is no way round it, there will be some lag. I am perfectly happy having a Marshall based patch and then a Vox based patch etc. so this is not a limitation for me. When you consider every thing else the AX8 does, and does very well, it is a small price to pay, again for me, as I appreciate everyone has their own idea of what they require and what is acceptable.

I suppose I have come to accept that there is no single perfect solution, (at least that's within my budget and my limits as to the amount of gear I am prepared to carry around), and I am very happy to work with what I have, which is no hardship as gear these days is pretty great really, especially when I look back on what was available to me when I first started.

The solution is in the post by Leon (2112) just above. It is to use scene controllers to adjust the amp gain and volume to get different drive levels and avoid amp x/y switching. I have an all purpose 5 scene preset that goes from clean up to very dirty with no switching lag. If you absolutely have to have 2 different amps in the same patch then there is no way round it, there will be some lag. I am perfectly happy having a Marshall based patch and then a Vox based patch etc. so this is not a limitation for me. When you consider every thing else the AX8 does, and does very well, it is a small price to pay, again for me, as I appreciate everyone has their own idea of what they require and what is acceptable.

I suppose I have come to accept that there is no single perfect solution, (at least that's within my budget and my limits as to the amount of gear I am prepared to carry around), and I am very happy to work with what I have, which is no hardship as gear these days is pretty great really, especially when I look back on what was available to me when I first started.

I do understand, I have many rigs here, but was, l / am looking for an all in 1 floor solution,for the gigs when you have 8 min to get on and off stage, my kemper, as great as it sounds,, is falling apart after 3 soild years of giging, the back panal jacks are worthless, and now needs a jack panel, and more cabels etc, I play in a modern country band and go from chicken pickin to screamin Rock in an instant, An AX8 with full power would be the answer , thats what I thought I was getting, just did not read the specs as I should have, this is no slight to Fractal, Its a fantastic unit, but I just cant deal with the amount of trickery needed to get the most out of it, This is a REALLY great place with very helpfull folks, the AX8 is on ebay,,back to hauling the kemper rack around, Ill try the headrush next,, Helix sounded like FIZZ on all the high gain stuff,ll be back when they double the power in this bad little boy,,Thank you for all the help,
Mario
www.mariomassi.com

I do understand, I have many rigs here, but was, l / am looking for an all in 1 floor solution,for the gigs when you have 8 min to get on and off stage, my kemper, as great as it sounds,, is falling apart after 3 soild years of giging, the back panal jacks are worthless, and now needs a jack panel, and more cabels etc, I play in a modern country band and go from chicken pickin to screamin Rock in an instant, An AX8 with full power would be the answer , thats what I thought I was getting, just did not read the specs as I should have, this is no slight to Fractal, Its a fantastic unit, but I just cant deal with the amount of trickery needed to get the most out of it, This is a REALLY great place with very helpfull folks, the AX8 is on ebay,,back to hauling the kemper rack around, Ill try the headrush next,, Helix sounded like FIZZ on all the high gain stuff,ll be back when they double the power in this bad little boy,,Thank you for all the help,
Mario
www.mariomassi.com

If you're prepared to use a Kemper and accompanying floorboard but you like the AX8 tones, an Axe-Fx 2/MFC setup would be the way to go. Or you could try some of the many "clean to mean" style presets on Axechange and adapt them to your liking if you don't want to fiddle too much.

Nevertheless, best of luck on your search for the perfect rig.

If you're prepared to use a Kemper and accompanying floorboard but you like the AX8 tones, an Axe-Fx 2/MFC setup would be the way to go. Or you could try some of the many "clean to mean" style presets on Axechange and adapt them to your liking if you don't want to fiddle too much.

Nevertheless, best of luck on your search for the perfect rig.
in fact,, the Kemper sounds much better to me, because of the profiles(Please not bashing any products, its only as good as what you put in it,it has no sound of its own,,) but its falling apart,needs footswitch cables,very slow start up time.. no spring verb, still !!! and Im trying to make things simple, fast and easy,, to gig and fly with,, not more complicated,,like I said, some of these gigs are ,, get on stage and ready to play in 8 min,,I need a simple solution that still has TONE,,why cant somebody just make it?/ I am sure I am not the only guy who would PAY for this,,in a new york second,,What I need is,,,,,,, an AX8 with both chips, Id glady pay 2 grand for it, Im just a working giger with a bad back who loves his room full of vintage amps and wants tone for gigs, without the cartage,I need to walk into a gig with my dual chip/ bad boy AX8 in one bag/hand , my Fuchs or Morgan combo in the other hand,, and my double ax sack on my back,,,Is that asking too much???

Enjoy your stay; it's the middle of winter here in Perth so it's wet and windy, but hopefully the east coast treats you to some sunshine!

It was sunny and warm, much like an American spring/summer, but everyone was wearing winter coats and all hotels and restaurants had their heat on. I walked around wearing shorts or jeans and t-shirts. Weird. :D Really nice place and I'd love to return some day.

Mario
www.mariomassi.com
Not a bad thought - full blown AX-8+ with same processing as AxeFXii. For me the AX-8 is perfection itself: everything I need and nothing I don't.

Back
Top Bottom