For those struggling to dial in tones

I'm visiting Australia this week and I'm disappointed that I'm on the wrong coast or I'd buy you a pint. Nice job.

Enjoy your stay; it's the middle of winter here in Perth so it's wet and windy, but hopefully the east coast treats you to some sunshine!

Very helpful and I really appreciate the way you "turn up, turn down" various parameters to show the difference WITH an explanation that is clear.
Big help, and yes...required viewing for those new to Fractal or anyone who wants to experience with the tones they have and "add mojo."

Big Thanks!!

@2112 , have you plugged a bass into your ax8 as yet?
Almost daily. I tend to use the same preset for almost everything (The USA Bass model with a user IR of a Carvin cab) I demo/write. I have a few friends who are great bass players (ie not guitarists just hacking away on root notes) and I really want to get some of them in to my home studio and have them design and demo a few presets some time soon.

Soooooo... the bad sound example at the beginning is similar to what I hear when I use IEM's (Shure 535's) any way to fix that?

Also... What are you using to record? I'm having trouble getting a good sound when I use my TonePort UX2 and GarageBand... Yeah I know I need to upgrade the UX2 but until then any tips/advice on getting the great tones like you had? I also have a new 2017 MacBook Pro if that makes any difference

Thanks @2112

~ss

Last edited:
Thanks so much for sharing this video
I am in my late 40's and I had the the fractal for a while now and read the manual but thier are so many awsome ideas you can do with this fractal Axe 2 unit that is can be really overwhelming
but I like that how You put words to these kind of frustrations
like my sound is too booming or why are my Dynamics not where I wanted them to be and what kind of option do I have etc....
much appreated Sir

I'm preaching to the choir here as nearly everyone here seems to get great results fast, but for anyone struggling with the AX8 (or any other modeller) I've put together a video that will help troubleshoot the common issues I see pop up regularly. I also talk a bit about why terms like "fake" and "digital sounding" can get in the bin .

I using a

Axe-Fx II XL+

How do I do the first problem solving tip
On my Axe unit?
Thanks Inadvance

Soooooo... the bad sound example at the beginning is similar to what I hear when I use IEM's (Shure 535's) any way to fix that?
~ss

I also use Shure 535s, and I don't have that problem at all. You'll probably have to do some troubleshooting. If it sounds stellar through the FOH, then you can pretty much forget everything in this video. Then it is most likely a problem at the mixing desk send to your IEMs (could you be overloading your IEM input?)

I also use Shure 535s, and I don't have that problem at all. You'll probably have to do some troubleshooting. If it sounds stellar through the FOH, then you can pretty much forget everything in this video. Then it is most likely a problem at the mixing desk send to your IEMs (could you be overloading your IEM input?)

Hey thanks for the reply... the IEM problem has always been a issue for me, no matter where or what I play the tone always sounds great, with an amp or in this case with the AX8 at the FOH. But the tone always sounds like I'm running direct in the IEM's or when I'm recording in GarageBand, just like @2112's example of bad tone at the beginning of the video... I've even had the sound guys listen to the tone in the headphones vs the FOH and they never have an answer.... I'll buy someone a cup of coffee if they can help me figure this out! And I don't think I'm overloading the signal.

---

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the reply... the IEM problem has always been a issue for me, no matter where or what I play the tone always sounds great, with an amp or in this case with the AX8 at the FOH. But the tone always sounds like I'm running direct in the IEM's or when I'm recording in GarageBand, just like @2112's example of bad tone at the beginning of the video... I've even had the sound guys listen to the tone in the headphones vs the FOH and they never have an answer.... I'll buy someone a cup of coffee if they can help me figure this out! And I don't think I'm overloading the signal.

---
Start your own thread about this and post a clip and the preset. Lots of help will come your way.

Unless Leon @2112 doesn't mind working it out here?

Start your own thread about this and post a clip and the preset. Lots of help will come your way.
Unless Leon @2112 doesn't mind working it out here?

Sorry for the hijak... but thought It was similar because lot's may be struggling dialing in IEM tone and what struck me was how his example of bad tone and good tone was exactly what I hear in the IEM's vs FOH

~ss

Almost daily. I tend to use the same preset for almost everything (The USA Bass model with a user IR of a Carvin cab) I demo/write. I have a few friends who are great bass players (ie not guitarists just hacking away on root notes) and I really want to get some of them in to my home studio and have them design and demo a few presets some time soon.

Sounds good.

I'm preaching to the choir here as nearly everyone here seems to get great results fast, but for anyone struggling with the AX8 (or any other modeller) I've put together a video that will help troubleshoot the common issues I see pop up regularly. I also talk a bit about why terms like "fake" and "digital sounding" can get in the bin .

I was expecting to be like 'meh' as I am with so many tutorials. You've got a knack - most excellent!!!

Sorry for the hijak... but thought It was similar because lot's may be struggling dialing in IEM tone and what struck me was how his example of bad tone and good tone was exactly what I hear in the IEM's vs FOH

~ss

Are you getting your IEM feed from FOH?

Hey thanks for the Vid. What can you say about rules around the input trim and the setting of the IN 1 (INSTR) INPUT PAD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom