For Those Familiar with Both the AX8 and Helix--Serious Question.

dank

Inspired
I say "serious," because I'm not a tire kicker, and I don't pose hypothetical inquires. With that out of the way, I have a complete Axe FX II rig that I use for regular gigging. I have a dedicated RCF monitor for myself on stage, and I send a signal to FOH.

I am very interested in the AX8 for the most obvious reasons- less bulk, no rack case to carry. I am on the waitlist for the AX8 and have come to terms with its limitations, one of those being one amp at a time. I am fine with that. My band plays Classic Rock and current dance music. No metal, no hip hop and nothing eclectic.What little time I have, I learn songs for the band. I get the sound I need for the particular tune, and I'm done. Without belaboring the obvious, I don't tweak a patch to death.

While I only scratch the surface of the Axe's capabilities, I love the platform because of the excellent amp tones, IRs and effects. Further, It's quite impressive how often the unit is updated. Since I am willing to go with the AX8, a floor unit, why not consider the Helix?

For those of you who own both the AX8 and the Helix or have spent considerable time with them, how are the amp tones? To be more specific, my go to amps are Fender Deluxe, Fender Twin, Vox AC30, Marshall Plexi, Mesa anything, Carr, etc.

Any advice you can give is certainly appreciated. Thank you.

Dan

I own all three units, and I can assure you that if you are used to FAS quality, you will be dissatisfied with Helix amp tones, at least at this stage of their development. tAken on its own merits, Helix has many positives,most lay in routing, I/O, etc but tones_____IMO. No contest.

i don't own a helix but i've tried in vain to find any clips of the clean fender tones and have not found a single one. The clean tones are gorgeous on the ax8. I sold my kemper shortly after getting the ax8. Hard to imagine classic rock tones being any better on the helix.

My AX8 sounds/feels just like my Axefx 2. Go with what you know. hippietim summarizes it very well.

I haven't played a helix (no interest), but I've heard from a number of reliable sources that they still don't model the power amp sound and feel, just the preamp.

I tried the Helix under less than perfect conditions (headphones, shitty showroom guitar), and I was not impressed by any of the tones, I was able to get.

But think about it this way - In Helix you get what, 5 different Marshall models - I cannot count the number, you get with Axe - To me that is a huge difference. With Helix, I would have to dig deep to get a Marshall sound I like. With Axe, there almost has to be at least one model in the ball park, and then it just takes a little tweaking to hit it home.

The amp tone is my main concern. Thanks to all for advising me not to spend money on the Helix. I'll just wait my turn on the list.

Sigh...

what Hippietim said.
I had the Helix for a few days before sent it back. I am sure I would have gained a lot more from the Helix if it had stayed with me a little longer but soon I knew the sound was just not for me. Hard to describe. I seem to be also one of the few who like the smaller footprint and the design and appearance of the AX8 more. Today came my AX8. I knew after 15 minutes this thing delivers the tone I want - even if it turns out to be a steep learning curve. But it is not as steep as I expected.

I have a Helix and an AX8. I'm deeper into the Helix so far because I had it first.

If you are happy with the AxeFX and know how to use it, I do not see any reason to consider the Helix unless:

You must have two amps at once;
You need more flexible routing options;
You need scribble strips;
You need 10 assignable footswitches;
You need audio over usb;
You need to be able to control the XLR and 1/4" outs separately;
You need a lot of effects in a single patch;
probably some things I'm omitting.

In other words, unless there is something the Helix offers that the AX8 does not, stick with what you know works for you and works great.

I'll differ and say there is no reason NOT to try the Helix. I'm not saying it because I own one. I'm not saying because of how my experience with it is so far.

I think anyone interested in one who has the opportunity should buy one. Why? Because return policies are pretty liberal, and if you're ordering it over the Internet, you can consider the return shipping a rental fee if you don't like it.

More importantly than that, nobody has your ears, fingers, guitars, pickups and tastes. Thus, it's up to you to decide what works for you. So, what is there to lose really? Also, from what I've read elsewhere, Helix makes a boss floor controller for your Axe II if all else fails.

Or you can decide to forgo all of that, which is also cool. You already have a top notch rig, and I'm sure there's more to the current lineup of amps and pedals that you haven't even touched.

Mikah,

I'd certainly like to at least try a Helix, as our ears do differ. So what did I do? I called my local Guitar Center this evening to see if they had one available to audition. The salesperson tells me that all they have in stock is a return, and I'm not permitted to try it.

Way to lose a sale, pal!

I have the Axe fx ,but I have heard some great Helix clips the key in most it appears is the IR's.

The clips I dig use the Ownhammers and yes I can tell an audible difference vs stock YMMV

Back
Top Bottom