For FAS : Windows 8 support for drivers and Axe Edit ?

Most things that work in 7 will work fine in 8 but there might be some gotcha's.

we are testing Windows 8 RTM at work now so far we haven't had many issues.

I just installed my AxeII drivers in Windows 8 enterprise RTM from my work technet sub and the installer fails. I went into device manager and manually pointed it at the driver folder created by the installer and it it picked it up. I then noticed a second device with AxeFX in the title, I did the same again and it installed also. I can now select AxeII as the audio interface and can confirm that AxeEdit is working with it also.

Spence

Does anybody like Windows 8 ? I have it installed in a virtual machine and so far I just think it is dumbed down and not my idea of an OS, probably ok on a tablet but I have my doubts for work use.

I've been using Win8 Ent RTM x64, and Office 2013 preview, on my Pc in the office for the last month. The Metro/lack of old start menu took a little while to get used to but on the whole I love Win8, it's very fast and once you get used to the interface it starts getting more productive. My favs for work are the Remote Desktop Metro App and the integrated messenger/email app. Also loving Office 2013, it's also very quick and looks great too.

One thing I will say is that Win8 works much better on a big, hi-res monitor, it's not so great on my laptop.

I'm going to be testing Win8 as a DAW over the next few days which I'm looking forward to, initial tests indicate that it's quite a bit better than Win7, which was pretty good!

Spence

I just have mine go straight to the desktop menu and have a third party start menu utility to make it pretty much like win7. The really cut out that fat on win 8 and made it really fast. Audio latency will probably be to high for serious work in the metro interface, but in desktop mode performance is supposed to be quite good.

Audio latency will probably be to high for serious work in the metro interface, but in desktop mode performance is supposed to be quite good.

There is a good blog on the Cakewalk website that says as long as Metro apps are written in C++, or wrapped in C++, then they will have kernel level access to the audio drivers which should mean very good performance even in Metro :)

I'm going to be testing Win8 as a DAW over the next few days which I'm looking forward to, initial tests indicate that it's quite a bit better than Win7, which was pretty good!

Spence
Thanks for the feedback Spence, how it works out with the DAW, Visio etc would be interesting.

I just installed my AxeII drivers in Windows 8 enterprise RTM from my work technet sub and the installer fails. I went into device manager and manually pointed it at the driver folder created by the installer and it it picked it up. I then noticed a second device with AxeFX in the title, I did the same again and it installed also. I can now select AxeII as the audio interface and can confirm that AxeEdit is working with it also.

Spence

Thanks xpenno - did exactly the same thing for me, I followed your instructions and it connected perfectly. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom