For fans of Porcupine Tree, Muse, Rush, etc....

Did the bass also go through Axe-FX? That thing sounded huge! Could've used a dirtier amp on it if you wanted to approach a more Muse-influenced sound, but it still sounded great. Nice and punchy.

Were all of the ambient effects Axe-FX too? Some really nice textures going on there.

The tone I liked best was toward the end, maybe about 30 seconds before the band paused for the synth pad and the piano, and then proceeded with the final repeat of the head.

Enjoyed it very much. Thanks for posting! :)

FreaqyFrequency said:
Did the bass also go through Axe-FX? That thing sounded huge! Could've used a dirtier amp on it if you wanted to approach a more Muse-influenced sound, but it still sounded great. Nice and punchy.

Were all of the ambient effects Axe-FX too? Some really nice textures going on there.

The tone I liked best was toward the end, maybe about 30 seconds before the band paused for the synth pad and the piano, and then proceeded with the final repeat of the head.

Enjoyed it very much. Thanks for posting! :)

Thanks for listening. All guitar effects are Axe-FX (like the echos in the verse). Synth fx are either Reason FX or some other plugins.

The bass on this track was actually synth bass from Reason. I have a real bass but sometimes I just get better tones using "fake" bass via Reason. For a bass line like this where I wanted something really tight and percussive with the kick drum the "fake" seemed to be the way to go. I also discovered the trick where adding a bit of grit and actually removing some low-end via a high-pass filter can increase the overall impact of the bass in the mix.

For the main intro riff guitar tone I layered a single coil neck pickup sound for that clean cut with a heavier dirty sound that was a blend of Recto and JCM 800. 3 tracks total. The other "heavy" rhythms were the same but without the single-coil blended on top.

Thanks again! :)

very nice, and you can guess from my avatar that I'm a big Porcupine Tree fan ;) (and Rush too)

yeah, really good! :)
The first half made me think of "Rush meets The Mars Volta" and the guitar solo + heavy part afterwards (piano especially)
was a bit like Liquid Tension Experiment. Despite this comparison with bands I really like, you've your own thing going, thumbs up!
Tones and arrangement are equally great. Thanks for sharing!

Seb

I saw Porcupine tree, amazing band, would love to get a bad cat amp modelled!!!

Great clip!

If you guys like these bands, check out some australian talent in:

Karnivool - (checkout themata / cote / goliath / deadman, change part 2)
www.myspace.com/karnivool

Cog
www.myspace.com/cogrockmusic

Dead Letter Circus - (Lines / Alien)
www.myspace.com/deadlettercircus

Circles (more djenty)
http://www.myspace.com/listentocircles

Rob Maric from dead letter circus is actually a member and user here and is an awsome guy! I think he goes by deadletter

Thanks for listening and for the band suggestions.

I've gotten both Karnivool albums but I'm having trouble really getting into them. They do some very engaging things musically but vocally I just can't get past the fact that the guy sounds like a weak version of Maynard from Tool. I'll keep trying though ;-).

Speaking of Australian bands, I recently discovered Closure in Moscow. They're kind of like Mars Volta meets real song writing...

Ian Kenny (singer from Karnivool / birds of tokyo) takes a bit of getting used too... ive been listening to them since 2001, and seen them live over 30 times... he is amazing live and has a very powerful voice. listen to synops of themata!

To be honest im not a fan of closure in moscow...

Love mars volta recordings, saw them live and was very dissapointed with the vocalist...

Back
Top Bottom