for all you metalheads in waiting

FPFL

Experienced
I am among those who don't consider "high gain" to be a thing that is as easily bucketed as others who don't know and love metal as sincerely seem to. it has flavor and variety.

my short summary is this - the AFII is very good news for us. There is even a preset called "Djentelmanly". Don't know if that's new to the AF2 but its well tweaked for 'Destroy Erase Improve' riffage. You have to laugh! Props to whoever at Fractal came up with that one. For more British high gain the HB/HBE and Euro amps continue to be classic, as well as boosting an 800 for the late0 80's Slayer era vibe.

Even the presets on the AFII show a real love for the flavors of high gain. Modelling both the red and the orange channels of the Recto is a great start (assuming folks know that difference already) and the Das Metal amp (which AF1 owners already know) sounds even better in the AF2.

I am too busy to post clips but will in July at some point when I get actual vacation and recording time. Still so much to learn.

Thanks for the heads up man. Can anyone at Fractal confirm if Misha had anything to do with the "djentlemanly" preset? haha

edit: So I asked Misha and he said he wasn't involved, and doesn't even have an Axe II yet.

Last edited:
Thank for the post,
Another big part of Metal too, is the "Shred Factor". From a Neo-Classical Heavy Metal Fusion point of view, the reports I got early on, was that this AX FX II has the fastest response than any other attempt at tube replication.

I recently aquired the magic box..
With previous digital amp simulation, there appears to be a lag in response from the pick strike to the actual note, so this was a problem. Watch this clip and see if you can hear what I am talking about. A slight jumbled blur, like there is pong type delay. Real tube response doesnt have this issue, and the AXE FX II is the answer we have all been waiting for to jump on board.

Hoo frickin rah to the axe 2 metal marines! Dudes as I suggested in my maligned post ( by the ,
'57 tweed heads and fuzz luvers) let's band together and share ideas! My axe2 comes Monday !

I dove into a few of the high gain presets today, and stopped on the recto orange and red presets for a while, I used to have one of these and that sound was there in spades, I actually like the sound better than what I remember my recto sounding like.

Got to be honest, I bought this thing for metal but oh man has it exceeded my expectations by far in only the first day. Just the presets are blowing my mind.

Thank for the post,
Another big part of Metal too, is the "Shred Factor". From a Neo-Classical Heavy Metal Fusion point of view, the reports I got early on, was that this AX FX II has the fastest response than any other attempt at tube replication.

With previous digital amp simulation, there appears to be a lag in response from the pick strike to the actual note, so this was a problem. Watch this clip and see if you can hear what I am talking about. A slight jumbled blur, like there is pong type delay. Real tube response doesnt have this issue, and the AXE FX II is the answer we have all been waiting for to jump on board.

"There is more to life than increasing it's speed" - Ghandi.
And more to music too :)

Last edited:
Thank for the post,

TOO.... MUCH.... SHRED.... weird coming from a guy who doesn't mind listening to yngwie malmsteen sometimes.

I think the axe fx II is so versitile that any style guitarist can be satisfied by it's sounds. I look forward to sharing some Metal style sounds as soon as I dial in a few patches. For now, I have to learn the basics.

I only have to wait until Tuesday... I only have to wait until Tuesday... I only have to wait until Tuesday... I only have to wait until Tuesday... I only have to wait until Tuesday...

Yes! Every note should be savored and enjoyed like a $500 glass of wine.

I make no apologies for playing fast, it's a part of the Metal as a power chord and scream.

I apologize if I made it sound like shredding is bad. I just think that you hit more notes than yngwie normally does and that's pretty extreme. My brain can't process so much shred at one time :shock

Back
Top Bottom