For all you gigging with your AX8's!

From Twitch terms of service, mentioning when you need a license:

• Cover Song Performance – Performance of a song owned by someone else, with the exception of a live performance in your Twitch stream. If you do perform a cover song in a live Twitch stream, please make a good faith effort to perform the song as written by the songwriter(s), and create all audio elements yourself, without incorporating instrumental tracks, music recordings, or any other recorded elements owned by others.
As long as you aren’t using copyrighted recordings as you play, you can perform any song if you’re playing it on an instrument live.

Very good @chris , but how many people can play drums, keyboards, bass, and sing to create the backing in addition to performing the electric guitar live? They said not to incorporate any copyrighted parts that means backings created and OWNED by OTHERS. Unless you can prove the backings are pubic domain you could be in trouble. I wonder why Bandcamp wouldn't just tell me this instead of telling me to get streaming sync licensing? I guess they want to promote Bandcamp primarily as an Indie platform for original music. They refuse to give any advice for streaming cover music aside from saying you must obtain a sync license and it is your entire responsibility should any legal matters arise.

I'll keep bandcamp from this day forward for original music if I go that route. Right now I'm at a crossroads, do I focus on becoming a creator or go the cover route? It is so much more fun playing rock covers, compared to creating ones own music where you have to have boatloads of creativity to produce money making music for decades on end without running out of ideas and enthusiasm.

Very good @chris , but how many people can play drums, keyboards, bass, and sing to create the backing in addition to performing the electric guitar live? They said not to incorporate any copyrighted parts that means backings created and OWNED by OTHERS. Unless you can prove the backings are pubic domain you could be in trouble. I wonder why Bandcamp wouldn't just tell me this instead of telling me to get streaming sync licensing? I guess they want to promote Bandcamp primarily as an Indie platform for original music. They refuse to give any advice for streaming cover music aside from saying you must obtain a sync license and it is your entire responsibility should any legal matters arise.

I'll keep bandcamp from this day forward for original music if I go that route. Right now I'm at a crossroads, do I focus on becoming a creator or go the cover route? It is so much more fun playing rock covers, compared to creating ones own music where you have to have boatloads of creativity to produce money making music for decades on end without running out of ideas and enthusiasm.
Why do you need backing tracks? Do what you do on your YT videos live.

Why do you need backing tracks? Do what you do on your YT videos live.

You clearly didn't read up on all the criticism I received in this thread on doing guitar covers solo, live without backings, singing, a looper, or a band. (The last couple of pages)

Are you telling me the opposite of these guys here? It's refreshing to get a new perspective from someone so accomplished in the music industry.

I encourage you to share more of your thoughts on this matter. I am starting to feel more optimistic on my current footing. :)

I've heard the Boomerang III in action. It's amazing but requires use of the hands . I saw an ambient master use it.. Beautiful to see in action.

The Beat buddy is more along my lines. I DON'T wish to use a laptop to sync to drums though.

I'll look into that one as an option.
The Boomerang does not require the use of hands. I use mine almost daily and only ever spin knobs if I want to tweak the setup (such as adjusting the individual track levels).

streaming is different from a live gig.

i agree you'll have trouble getting and keeping a gig if all you do is play various guitar parts from songs.

on a stream, you can do whatever you want within terms of service. someone going to a bar to hear music has certain expectations - singing, full arrangement, etc.

it's true that stream viewers may have similar expectations, but the only thing being transacted is time - your time doing the stream, and the viewer's time watching it.

some successful music streams on twitch have someone taking 8+ hours recording a song in a DAW. lots of pauses, doing one track at a time over and over, etc. "most" may not be interested in watching that, but a lot of people do watch it. streaming also gives you the capability of talking to chat a lot more than you would at a gig. it can be casual, it can be tight and professional, it can be whatever you want.

will you get 100 viewers on your first few streams? probably not. but you'll be actively performing, rather than practicing and having no live experience for years.

livestreaming is its own can of worms for sure. but you can do it for 1 hour, 4 hours, whatever you want. once you setup, you don't have to move gear around, you can be as casual as you want, and you can develop a following by doing it consistently.

even if someone isn't the best guitarist in the world, if you start the stream regularly - which can be once a week, 5 times a week, whatever, just be consistent with days of the week and start time - you inevitably create a following of people who will watch you because they know they can see you at those times.

i don't know the specifics of Youtube livestreaming covers terms of service - it seems to be a constantly moving target with whats allowed. i'm more familiar with Twitch, and there is a really good community of musicians there, and viewers always looking for someone new.

i would say give Twitch a try. you won't be immediately successful, but no one is. but you're actively doing something. you can practice on stream - yes people watch that, again not "a lot" of people, but it happens.

don't worry too much about camera gear - a simple webcam is more than enough to start. if anything, make sure your audio comes through clearly - the interface you already have should work. but if even if you just use the mic on the webcam to capture your speakers in the room and voice, it's a start and will work. people aren't expecting a AAA performance on day 1.

at some point, get a mic plugged in and your guitar direct to improve audio quality. camera quality can definitely wait as long as it's decent enough to see you playing.

you'd need the software OBS to stream - it's free.

everyone starts somewhere. start now, rather than 5 years from now. people can watch you progress and improve. you can interact and get feedback from people. you can share what you do with the world now.

might there be negative comments? sure, we all get it. but it's people on the internet saying something. who cares, ultimately. you can ban them if they are just negative or stupid. it's your Twitch channel, you're in control.

start it up. do it today. we can practice forever, but if our goal is to share what we do, we can do it right now.\

take a look at the music category. there are a lot of DJ's (i wish they'd separate DJ vs instruments... but oh well). but there are a lot of guitars, pianos, etc. so many possibilities with streaming.

https://twitch.tv/directory/game/Music

streaming is different from a live gig.

i agree you'll have trouble getting and keeping a gig if all you do is play various guitar parts from songs.

on a stream, you can do whatever you want within terms of service. someone going to a bar to hear music has certain expectations - singing, full arrangement, etc.

it's true that stream viewers may have similar expectations, but the only thing being transacted is time - your time doing the stream, and the viewer's time watching it.

some successful music streams on twitch have someone taking 8+ hours recording a song in a DAW. lots of pauses, doing one track at a time over and over, etc. "most" may not be interested in watching that, but a lot of people do watch it. streaming also gives you the capability of talking to chat a lot more than you would at a gig. it can be casual, it can be tight and professional, it can be whatever you want.

will you get 100 viewers on your first few streams? probably not. but you'll be actively performing, rather than practicing and having no live experience for years.

livestreaming is its own can of worms for sure. but you can do it for 1 hour, 4 hours, whatever you want. once you setup, you don't have to move gear around, you can be as casual as you want, and you can develop a following by doing it consistently.

even if someone isn't the best guitarist in the world, if you start the stream regularly - which can be once a week, 5 times a week, whatever, just be consistent with days of the week and start time - you inevitably create a following of people who will watch you because they know they can see you at those times.

i don't know the specifics of Youtube livestreaming covers terms of service - it seems to be a constantly moving target with whats allowed. i'm more familiar with Twitch, and there is a really good community of musicians there, and viewers always looking for someone new.

i would say give Twitch a try. you won't be immediately successful, but no one is. but you're actively doing something. you can practice on stream - yes people watch that, again not "a lot" of people, but it happens.

don't worry too much about camera gear - a simple webcam is more than enough to start. if anything, make sure your audio comes through clearly - the interface you already have should work. but if even if you just use the mic on the webcam to capture your speakers in the room and voice, it's a start and will work. people aren't expecting a AAA performance on day 1.

at some point, get a mic plugged in and your guitar direct to improve audio quality. camera quality can definitely wait as long as it's decent enough to see you playing.

you'd need the software OBS to stream - it's free.

everyone starts somewhere. start now, rather than 5 years from now. people can watch you progress and improve. you can interact and get feedback from people. you can share what you do with the world now.

might there be negative comments? sure, we all get it. but it's people on the internet saying something. who cares, ultimately. you can ban them if they are just negative or stupid. it's your Twitch channel, you're in control.

start it up. do it today. we can practice forever, but if our goal is to share what we do, we can do it right now.\

take a look at the music category. there are a lot of DJ's (i wish they'd separate DJ vs instruments... but oh well). but there are a lot of guitars, pianos, etc. so many possibilities with streaming.

https://twitch.tv/directory/game/Music
Great post! I’m on it!

Great points up above by @chris . You could start a live stream to track your progress with the goal of becoming "gig" ready. Who knows? Your goal may change in the process and you'll be happy streaming. In order to hope to play a complete live set, solo, on electric guitar though you'll need to be working towards something that will appeal to a live audience for an extended period (incorporate a looper, guitar synth, etc.). The great thing with this approach is that you can just add that to reasons to watch your stream.

Anyone know how I can send a private message to a member on this forum? I don’t want to clutter this thread.

as I understand the Twitch terms a backing track is not a problem unless it contains samples of the original song. this said you could create your own backing track using MIDI files from the internet to have them play e.g. drums, bass, and keys via your DAWs plugins, render it to a wav file and use the result as your own backing track.

@fcs101
@ChristThePhone
@Purplestrats

I decided I needed to add a Gibson Les Paul to my collection and wanted the Slash sound.

So I picked up a brand new Slash Signature Gibson Les Paul Standard in November Burst last night.

Scheduled to arrive in a week.

Now I can finally play lovely G&R tunes... lol.. with identical Slash tones... :)

It cost me just under $5000 CAD with tax, free delivery. Nice Slash signature embroidered into the guitar headstock.

I can't wait. Now I've got the USA Fender Strat Special and Slash Signature Gibson Les Paul Standard to add to my FAS AX8 and Redsound Elis 8 FRFR speakers.

I'm really motivated now to be spending 3-6 hrs a day on the guitar, and put on my best performances!

I can't wait to start gigging on Twitch with these two babies. :)

Live streams starting as early as this week.

Special thanks to @chris for all his help/motivation getting me up and running on Twitch!

Last edited:
Nice guitar but man, 5k 😲

You can get a Gibson les Paul Standard for cheaper , say around $4180 CAD with tax but it won't have the same PUPS slash uses, so in essence it defeats the purpose of nailing the G&R tone (Appetite for Destruction, Use your Illusion II) .

That's why I opted to spend the extra $$$ to get the authentic Slash G&R tone by buying a Slash signature guitar, modelled after 1950's style Les Pauls where the PUPS were more softer sounding than the PUPS in modern Gibson guitars which are more hard rock and metal.

You can get a Gibson les Paul Standard for cheaper , say around $4180 CAD with tax but it won't have the same PUPS slash uses, so in essence it defeats the purpose of nailing the G&R tone (Appetite for Destruction, Use your Illusion II) .

That's why I opted to spend the extra $$$ to get the authentic Slash G&R tone by buying a Slash signature guitar, modelled after 1950's style Les Pauls where the PUPS were more softer sounding than the PUPS in modern Gibson guitars which are more hard rock and metal.
Congratulations on your new guitar!! Of course we want some pics when it is delivered. The pickups in this model are not the same as the Slash Signature Seymour Duncan pickups that he uses in his guitars, but I am confident Gibson did a great job on the Custom Burstbuckers they used.
Hope you love the guitar and it will be great inspiration and motivation to play!

Yeah I'll post a pic or two when it arrives. I also managed to convince the store to give me a 15% discount given the fact that I purchased it after their boxing week sale was over.

So it now comes in at about $4129 with tax!

... sure glad you got a discount. I've never paid full price for any new guitar. In store or online. It's just a matter of asking nicely.
I'm just disappointed when Gibson or other brands don't use the artist's actual aftermarket pups, but that's probably more of an OCD thing than a tone thing for me.

I'd wager your choice of amp (or amp model) and speaker cab (or IR) will have much more effect on hitting the desired tone than the pickups.

Last edited:
I'd wager your choice of amp (or amp model) and speaker cab (or IR) will have much more effect on hitting the desired tone than the pickups.

Yes I agree, which is why I'm using custom presets for the G&R tone which model the right amp and cabs.

@guitaroholic
@Jeronimo
@ChristThePhone
@fcs101
@chris
@Habuman

Do any of you feel gigging alone is enough to get your body toned and in shape for a 3 hour concert standing up?

I am assuming you're moving around heavy amps, speakers, and playing some heavy guitars too.

All of this would constitute a gigger's workout that SPECIFIC to the type of songs he/she is playing.

My newly arrived Gibson LP seems to be getting me in shape!

The Fender Strat not so much.

Comments?

I'm nowhere near the shape I was in a few years back. Gotten a little lazy. But still gigging almost every weekend. 3 hours set with a 15 minute break between sets.

You can get/be in good physical condition prior to but nothing beats actually getting up on stage (wood, concrete, carpet floors) with the hot lights, volume of the band/PA, extra noise, and unexpectedness that is different at every gig. It all adds up.

Once you start gigging you will figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom