Footswitches Frozen In Perform Mode

Thanks @Admin M@. I'll repeat the sequence a few more times as I practice this week to see if it crops up again. I'll also try it using my layout with the per-preset placeholders.

Quick status report. Not sure if this is 'the problem' or not, but I did change my FC3 layout to the one that has per-preset placeholders for 1, 2, 3 (to match the per-preset settings on my presets), practiced through my set a few times, and then rehearsed with the band last night, with no repeat of the issue.

Hi,
I’ve been using the FM3 for most of my fly dates. I recently updated my firmware. Last night (at a show) my onboard foot controllers froze up. I use the fc usually in “effects” mode so I can access comp, dist, and delay per preset. The foot controllers were completely frozen so I couldn’t turn on/off effects nor could I scroll up/down (fc in hold mode) to the next preset. I turned the unit off and back on several times with the same unfortunate result.
Has anyone had this issue?
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Curious if the issue I experienced last night is the same bug?

I turned on my FM3 (still on the same preset from last week's gig - I only use one Preset).
My first button is dedicated as a Control Switch and it engages the whammy when pressed. (think Tom Morello - 2 octave whammy during solos).
Well, when I turned on my FM3, the 2 octave whammy was 'on'. I pressed button 1 (my control switch that is supposed to activate it)...nothing happens. It's just stuck on.
I use the other 2 buttons to bounce around the 4 scenes I use, and the whammy is now 'off' (good news). But that Control Switch no longer works. I press and it does nothing.

I went to a couple other presets that are set up the identical way, and that control switch not working on any of them.

I reboot the FM3 - everything works as it normal again.

I've been using my FM3 for a few months with this configuration and have changed nothing...other than downloading the latest firmware (and sometimes beta)....but I haven't changed firmware for a few gigs, and this only happened last night.

Anyone else experience something like this?

OP, seems like a bug to me... What FW are you running?
I was running whatever the current version was when I posted, a couple back I think. I updated shortly after that but it didn't help. Sorry, I've only just noticed the responses as I'd sorted it before anyone came back. This worked for me:

Setup > FC Controllers > Reset > Load Factory Default Layouts & Settings.

I should say that this happened again since and both times it was while FM3 Edit was running and I was setting up switching layouts in Perform Mode. The only safety fallback I found is to set up another bank of patches for live use where the scene layout is set up the same way.

I've run into this two times this weekend too. I do change presets and scenes using midi in + manual selection via footswitches. After the footswitches stop working I have to restart the unit to make them respond again. I'm on FW 5.02. Still need to figure out what specific constellation it is as I did only notice after a few preset/scene changes via midi.

Gig over the weekend, encountered a similar issue, trying to figure out what to do next.

I was on the last 5.03 beta (the release candidate, which I assume is functionally the same as the version released today). I use one preset per song, and I do all of my scene switching via foot switches (per-preset layouts), but I change presets via midi using BandHelper from an iPad, with the Yamaha MD-BT01 connected via bluetooth.

Multiple times over the course of the night (at least 5+) the foot switches locked up and would not function; I still had sound, but I was stuck on whichever scene I had last selected. I could choose a different song in BandHelper and the FM3 would change presets, but the foot switches still wouldn't work.

A few things to note:
  • I don't send scenes in my midi strings in BandHelper; for example, to select Preset 442 I'm sending 3, 0, 58
  • Unlike some others, the scribble strips still display scene names, they just don't function when I step on them
  • Power cycling the FM3 has, so far, been the only way to resolve the issue
I have never had this happen at home or at rehearsal, but it has happened at two different gigs recently using two different firmware versions (I was still on the last version of firmware 4 at the previous gig) which gives me a sneaking suspicion it's related to crowded RF environments in the places we've played; maybe because the midi is connected over bluetooth, it's confusing the FM3 when there's a lot of noise?

I'm hoping this gets figured out so just wanted to add in my experience!

I just had it occur again while practicing. Preset had no per-preset switches configured. Was using a layout that assigned the first switch to CS1 as momentary (was playing Unchained and using the switch to un-bypass the Flanger). If you've ever played that song, the flange comes in and out through the chorus, so I'm playing chord-with-no-press, then low-E-string-ride-switch-pressed, and repeating that pattern. When it happened, I kind of stepped on the switch but slipped off the slide, and very quickly pressed and held it. Immediately, the scribble strips went to the dashes and stopped functioning. I could still change everything using buttons/knobs, but the switches never recovered during the next hour or so I left the unit on. Btw, I was connected to PC via USB with FM3 Edit running.

My config when it happened:
FM3 Lockup.png

FM3 Lockup 2.png

FM3 Lockup 3.png

I hope that's helpful.

This has been happening to me for years now. It doesn‘t freeze as often as it used to with recent firmwares but it still happens and at very inconvenient times. I hope they find a fix.

Gig over the weekend, encountered a similar issue, trying to figure out what to do next.

I was on the last 5.03 beta (the release candidate, which I assume is functionally the same as the version released today). I use one preset per song, and I do all of my scene switching via foot switches (per-preset layouts), but I change presets via midi using BandHelper from an iPad, with the Yamaha MD-BT01 connected via bluetooth.

Multiple times over the course of the night (at least 5+) the foot switches locked up and would not function; I still had sound, but I was stuck on whichever scene I had last selected. I could choose a different song in BandHelper and the FM3 would change presets, but the foot switches still wouldn't work.

A few things to note:
  • I don't send scenes in my midi strings in BandHelper; for example, to select Preset 442 I'm sending 3, 0, 58
  • Unlike some others, the scribble strips still display scene names, they just don't function when I step on them
  • Power cycling the FM3 has, so far, been the only way to resolve the issue
I have never had this happen at home or at rehearsal, but it has happened at two different gigs recently using two different firmware versions (I was still on the last version of firmware 4 at the previous gig) which gives me a sneaking suspicion it's related to crowded RF environments in the places we've played; maybe because the midi is connected over bluetooth, it's confusing the FM3 when there's a lot of noise?

I'm hoping this gets figured out so just wanted to add in my experience!
I believe my problem was due to the Yamaha MD-BT01 overheating. I played a gig this weekend with a hardwired MIDI connection and had zero freezes. Turns out this was not related to Fractal at all on my end.

Happened to me again today while practicing….first time in a while. Had FM3 Edit running, similar to my previous post, but wasn’t doing much switching. The FM3 had been on for a few hours, mostly idling. Seems less frequent in 5.03, but still there.

I had two freezes happen again yesterday on a gig. It froze up after a few hours (the gig was 4 hours long), during the last set. i am starting to wonder if this is due to heat or if it just happens after a certain length of time? I reboot the FC6 attached to the FM3 by removing and reinserting the xlr cable and it works again for a short time and then locks up again from switching anything. Worked flawlessly up until that point and my CPU% is around 60-70%.......I am hoping one day this gets resolved as it's really frustrating to be having this happen on gigs.

It has happened to me much more frequently lately, once at rehearsal and twice during the early part of two different gigs. Very frustrating.

I've had the switch freeze issue for the last three Sundays I've played at my church, and I may be starting to home in a little bit on the issue.

I prepare/practice at home with the FM3, and even though I sometimes have it on for most of the day, I very rarely experience the switch freeze at home. However, at church, both at rehearsals and during the service, the switch freeze is frequent, to the extent that the FM3 had become unusable for live performance for me. Today, for example, I set up for rehearsal before the service, and they froze during the first song. I powered off/on, it resolved, and then it happened again during the 2nd song. Powered off/on before 1st service, and they froze during the 1st song. This repeated for the 2nd service.

I have suspected that the issue has something to do with the switch hold function, possibly in conjunction with per-preset switch overrides. I use per-preset overrides, so I configure each preset's switch settings (using PP#1/2/3). My switch setup is simple - each switch selects a scene (1, 2, and 3, in order). Sometimes I need a 4th sound for a given preset, so I set up switch 1's hold function to select scene 4.

Before the 3rd service, I made the following changes, and I had no freezes during that service:

• Reset 'Hold Function Mode' to its default of 'Automatic' (had been set at 'Switch up')
  • Reset 'Hold Function Timeout' to its default of 0.50 seconds (had been set at 0.75 seconds)
  • Removed Hold functions from the three presets I used during the service
  • For two of the presets where I needed a 4th scene, I set the Tap function to toggle scenes 1 and 4
Since I didn't use the hold function after the changes, the two values I reset related to hold function weren't really tested, but thinking back, I feel like the issue worsened after I had made those changes from the default values. Not quite a smoking gun yet. However, I had major problems the last three times out with it, had major problems through two services, removed Hold functions, and then had no issues.

I'll keep the current config and report back. I'm running 6.0 beta 3 currently.

I've had the switch freeze issue for the last three Sundays I've played at my church, and I may be starting to home in a little bit on the issue.

I prepare/practice at home with the FM3, and even though I sometimes have it on for most of the day, I very rarely experience the switch freeze at home. However, at church, both at rehearsals and during the service, the switch freeze is frequent, to the extent that the FM3 had become unusable for live performance for me. Today, for example, I set up for rehearsal before the service, and they froze during the first song. I powered off/on, it resolved, and then it happened again during the 2nd song. Powered off/on before 1st service, and they froze during the 1st song. This repeated for the 2nd service.

I have suspected that the issue has something to do with the switch hold function, possibly in conjunction with per-preset switch overrides. I use per-preset overrides, so I configure each preset's switch settings (using PP#1/2/3). My switch setup is simple - each switch selects a scene (1, 2, and 3, in order). Sometimes I need a 4th sound for a given preset, so I set up switch 1's hold function to select scene 4.

Before the 3rd service, I made the following changes, and I had no freezes during that service:

• Reset 'Hold Function Mode' to its default of 'Automatic' (had been set at 'Switch up')
  • Reset 'Hold Function Timeout' to its default of 0.50 seconds (had been set at 0.75 seconds)
  • Removed Hold functions from the three presets I used during the service
  • For two of the presets where I needed a 4th scene, I set the Tap function to toggle scenes 1 and 4
Since I didn't use the hold function after the changes, the two values I reset related to hold function weren't really tested, but thinking back, I feel like the issue worsened after I had made those changes from the default values. Not quite a smoking gun yet. However, I had major problems the last three times out with it, had major problems through two services, removed Hold functions, and then had no issues.

I'll keep the current config and report back. I'm running 6.0 beta 3 currently.
I just did a pretty long 3+ hour gig without issue using firmware 6 beta 3. I also have hold functions to activate alternate delay and drives. I have wondered if that has something to do with the freezes but it doesn't seem to happen specifically from using that feature. It seems to happen at random.

Reactions: JD_
Same story. Switch freeze issue at gigs. Last gig it happened for three times. I switched off power every time it was non responsive, but it happened again. I used 3rd button of FM3 for scene change and for tuner (when holding it). As i had to change for drop D several times and use the tuner holding 3rd button it froze up. Most time it happened when using hold function. But once knob 1 became unresponsive when i just tapped for a scene change. FW 5.03. But yesterday i used 6.00 beta 8 and it happened again in the beginning of show when i checked my tune with FM3's tuner.

UPDATE:
I played several more shows on tour and freezing continued to happen. It always happened when i used tuner with hold function, especially when i tried to switch off tuner mode with short foot tap. When i used 2-3 seconds tap, things were fine almost every time.
Last show i used polytune to check and tune my strings and didn't use hold function, and FM3's tuner mode. And there were no freeze bugs.
All this gigs i played with 6.00 beta 8 FW.
Hope things will be fixed with future FW, because hold function is very useful.

Per my previous posts, I had removed hold functions from the FM3's built-in switches. However, I had not removed them from my Moskey external switch, on which I use hold functions for decrementing preset and for toggling the tuner. I had multiple freezes playing live yesterday, several in a row. After the first and second freezes, I believe I continued to use the Moskey, but after the 3rd freeze within 5 or 10 minutes, I started switching presets between songs using the Value wheel and starting the tuner using the A knob press, and was able to use the FM3's switches (set for press only, no hold functions) for the rest of the gig with no issues.

I hope someone can figure this out soon, as it is very painful when playing live.

Back
Top Bottom