Footswitches Frozen In Perform Mode

mort_75

Hi all,

I think I am encountering a glitch in perform mode. All three rings illuminate and the buttons do nothing. All other modes work as standard. Is it possible I've inadvertently set something myself, or is it likely an issue? Just updated the to the latest firmware and it made no difference. I thought I'd ask before comitting to a factory reset.

FM3.jpg

I had something similar happen a day ago, the far left hand button stopped responding when pressed. The LED would change if I enabled and disabled the block from the UI, and the block would respond over midi, but the front panel switch appeared dead when pressed. Cycling the power to the FM3 fixed the problem and it hasn't reappeared since then.

I’ve had this happen twice at gigs. Very unnerving. Had to cycle off the unit and didn’t have a problem rest of both shows.

I've been seeing something similar in the last couple weeks. Sometimes the footswitches stop responding altogether. Happened once while practicing at home this week, once at a rehearsal, and once at the gig today. When it happened at home, the screen had changed to the tuner by itself (tuner is on a Moskey external dual switch configured as a stand-in switch). Today at the gig, I looked down at the FM3 and it had changed itself to the layout screen. Each time I've had to reboot the unit to restore function. The first two times I was on 5.02 beta 1; I upgraded last night to 5.02 release to see if that would help, but then had the issue at the gig today. Definitely unnerving when it happens at the gig and you have to reboot between songs.

I’ve had this happen twice at gigs. Very unnerving. Had to cycle off the unit and didn’t have a problem rest of both shows.
are you using stand-in switches? trying to find common circumstances among reports.

are you using stand-in switches? trying to find common circumstances among reports.
I am using an AIRSTEP midi controller. I have not used the fm3 live without this. And…happened again last night at a gig. I switched scenes going from a lead to a clean and the clean never came in. I was stuck in the lead scene. I had to just wait til the end of the song and power down the unit. Hope this can be resolved. It’s happened a few times and all have been at shows.

I am using an AIRSTEP midi controller. I have not used the fm3 live without this. And…happened again last night at a gig. I switched scenes going from a lead to a clean and the clean never came in. I was stuck in the lead scene. I had to just wait til the end of the song and power down the unit. Hope this can be resolved. It’s happened a few times and all have been at shows.
Are you using stand in switches?

Did you change scenes using the midi controller? When you were stuck, did the midi controller work? Did the on-board switches work? What exactly was stuck? The details are important for figuring out what’s happening.

Are you using stand in switches?

Did you change scenes using the midi controller? When you were stuck, did the midi controller work? Did the on-board switches work? What exactly was stuck? The details are important for figuring out what’s happening.
The fm3 freezes. The midi controller works. I’m able to press on it’s switches and see the corresponding lights. However doing so does nothing on the fm3. I’m just stuck on a scene.

The fm3 freezes. The midi controller works. I’m able to press on it’s switches and see the corresponding lights. However doing so does nothing on the fm3. I’m just stuck on a scene.
Are you using a Plex Delay Block by any chance?

As I have replied in the main FM3 forum, I have had something very similar and it turned out to be a Plex Block causing the CPU to spike while I was playing - this is the same Plex Block that worked fine in FW4 and only started to freeze up in 5+.

I did find though that if I stopped playing, the unit caught up with itself and then started switching.

Since I removed that Plex Block its been fine and yes I agree, its very unnerving on a gig!!

As an FYI, I'm using an FC6 and midi-wise I'm using the Midi Transmit to channel switch a 5150 - and thinking about it, it hasn't frozen since I've gone back to using the FM3/FC6 in "normal" amp modelling mode with an FRFR with no need for midi - does that indicate something??

Are you using a Plex Delay Block by any chance?

As I have replied in the main FM3 forum, I have had something very similar and it turned out to be a Plex Block causing the CPU to spike while I was playing - this is the same Plex Block that worked fine in FW4 and only started to freeze up in 5+.

I did find though that if I stopped playing, the unit caught up with itself and then started switching.

Since I removed that Plex Block its been fine and yes I agree, its very unnerving on a gig!!

As an FYI, I'm using an FC6 and midi-wise I'm using the Midi Transmit to channel switch a 5150 - and thinking about it, it hasn't frozen since I've gone back to using the FM3/FC6 in "normal" amp modelling mode with an FRFR with no need for midi - does that indicate something??
Nope

I wasn't using a Plex delay either, but was using delay and reverb blocks, both fairly heavily. However, my idle CPU on those presets was only 70 to 74%.

The thread status has changed to 'not a bug'. How was that determined? Does that mean that this is a suspected hardware issue with my FM3?

I had this issue too. I hope I have solved it. It has worked on a show and a few rehearsals.
Here is what I did.
1. Uploaded current firmare to FM3 and FC6
2. Upoaded factory presets
3. Erased ALL Foot Controller Layouts
4. Upoaded my Presets
5. Reprogrammed Footswitching stuff manually

FIngers crossed I am not speaking too soon.

Just experienced the issue again and know the sequence of events that led to it, so thought I'd post it. I was practicing for my Sunday gig, and this is near or identical to how I've used it live and experienced the problem.

• Turned on the unit, played through one song, using FM3 switches to switch between scenes. Presets all have FC Per-Preset definitions, for PP1, 2, and 3.
  • Used Moskey external switch tap function to increment preset; tap function attached to stand-in switch:
1651076449363.png
  • Played through that song, switching between scenes a few times using FM3 switches
  • Used Moskey switch hold function to decrement preset twice (same stand-in switch, hold function) to get to preset for 3rd song
  • Started playing through that song, switching scenes a few times on the FM3 through the song. Mid-way through the song, stepped on FM3 switch to change scenes. It failed to change and the FM3's switch labels all changed to "---".
1651076480704.png

I had FM3 open during this time, although that is probably not relevant, since this has happened to me while playing live, with no PC connected. Of the presets I used leading up to it, the first is at 68%, the 2nd at 66%, and the last one, where I had the issue, is at 73%. The third preset has a pitch block, which was not engaged at any time.

Interestingly, I started to type this up and then had to get on a call for 40 minutes or so. When I turned back to finish, I looked down and noticed that the switch labels had returned to normal and the switches are functional again. Whatever failure condition existed seemed to resolve itself over time. Obviously still a problem though, as I have to reboot when it happens while playing live.

One other thing I noticed. I normally use a preset per song, and each song has per-preset FM3 foot switches (1, 2, 3). In that case, I use a layout that is set up for per-preset switches:
1651075975582.png

However, sometimes I have presets that I haven't configured for per-preset, so I'll use a different layout that just switches between scenes:
1651075822317-png.100832

When this occurred today, I was on the layout that switches scenes (NOT on the per-preset layout) AND the three presets had per-preset switches defined. So both were present. Not sure if that's relevant, but having done a lot of software debugging myself, I thought it might point to an area for investigation.

Thanks,

-JD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom