Footswitch Disable and X/Y Activation

Jalevinemd

Inspired
I like the option with Firwmare Version 2.00 of having the blocks activated with the footswitch depressed.

Unfortunately, I also liked being able to switch X and Y by simply holding the footswitch down for a bit longer.

It seems that with the new firmware, I can't have it both ways. Or am I missing something? Assigning the X/Y to a function switch and then stepping on the footswitch to toggle between X and Y involves an extra step and is awkward to do quickly on the fly. Is there anyway I can program the FX8 so I can have my cake and eat it too?

The laws of physics prevent this. If you choose for the block to engage/bypass immediately as you hit the footswitch, then that's going to happen. The DSP can't travel into the future, determine how long you hold the switch, and then decide not to do the engage/bypass instantly. In theory, an update could allow it to instantly engage/bypass and then also do an x/y switch on hold, but I' m not sure that would be useful in any circumstance.

The original behavior uses the footswitch release (rather than initial hit) as the trigger, and how long you press the switch determines what happens.

Oh well...maybe soon.
How would the switch know if you are pressing it down or holding it down?

Best solution is to tap the switch quickly so it comes up fast.

All switches with "hold" functions work this way from any manufacturer. It simply can't know if you intend to press or hold until you release the switch.

I see what you guys are saying. I guess I thought there could be a threshold value programmed into the switch so that if it's depressed and held for more than 1 second it defaults to Y and anything less than the threshold defaults to X. I didn't realize that the switches truly were directional.

Chris...your advice about simply stepping and releasing quickly is the best. Honestly, when I do that it's almost impossible to tell if the switch is activating on depressing or releasing it...especially if you don't depress it all the way down. :encouragement:

I see what you guys are saying. I guess I thought there could be a threshold value programmed into the switch so that if it's depressed and held for more than 1 second it defaults to Y and anything less than the threshold defaults to X. I didn't realize that the switches truly were directional.

Chris...your advice about simply stepping and releasing quickly is the best. Honestly, when I do that it's almost impossible to tell if the switch is activating on depressing or releasing it...especially if you don't depress it all the way down. :encouragement:

There is such a parameter on the FX8. You can determine how long you must hold the switch down before it changes to y. I think factory default is .5 seconds which works for me. It can be longer or shorter. But the time must be measured by when you release the switch

But now it seems he changed the topic. Seems like he is saying he wishes a hold is always "switch to Y" and a tap is always "switch to X." Before it seemed like he was discussing tap = engage/bypass and hold = XY.

But now it seems he changed the topic. Seems like he is saying he wishes a hold is always "switch to Y" and a tap is always "switch to X." Before it seemed like he was discussing tap = engage/bypass and hold = XY.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm clearly not using the appropriate terminology consistently.

You had it correct, Chris. I was hoping that a quick "tap" would be "switch to X" (engage or disengage the X effect) and a longer "hold" would be switch to Y (engage or disengage the Y effect.)

Back
Top Bottom