FM9 put 10 years worth of grey on my hair tonite.

I have always loathed the H9 from afar. One button, overpriced, only runs one effect at a time unless you do some magical spend $500 on it upgrade combination. It's one of those pieces that everything about it irks me enough that I don't care if 70% of my cited gripes are inaccurate :D

I’m Pretty sure without even asking they’ll point fingers at one another and both units work just fine on their own. It doesn’t really matter who isn’t playing nice because I NEED the FM9 to work. Im not really sure if I can do anything differently to make this more stable and never happen again. Everything is powered and cabled with working equipment. Nothing else I can really do from a user level. I wish I could eliminate the tap tempo footswitch but I cant. The FM9 has to receive tempo information and the H9 needs to be out of the way.
Yeah....that sounds frustrating.

Can the FM9 not do what you're using the H9 for? Did you try gitfruit's suggestion and boot everything before connecting the MIDI cables?

Or is it at the point that you just want to yeet the H9 because it's less important? That's probably what I'd do.

At a gig and the FM9 would not boot. First it went thru the boot sequence and landed on a white screen. Then just a white screen.

Out of sheer terror and desperation I started unplugging things in the order of least need. Pulled out the 2 midi cables and it booted right away.

Going to dive deeper to see why my fractal gear hates my H9. The AX8 would get weird with it sometimes too.

Sounds broken - just sell it to me.

Yeah....that sounds frustrating.

Can the FM9 not do what you're using the H9 for? Did you try gitfruit's suggestion and boot everything before connecting the MIDI cables?

Or is it at the point that you just want to yeet the H9 because it's less important? That's probably what I'd do.
I can of course live without the h9. I may try booting the h9 last. Wish my power supply on my board was smart enough to delay its power by a few seconds.

This is why my FM9 board is always in the Yukon XL with the Axe III and pedalboard for it if playing far away from the house.
Local in town gigs, no problem. Run grab spare on break. Charleston area? Heck NO!!! Both rigs go!!! Sorry the H9 doesn't
play nice with the FM9...

I was in a busy agency cover band for a while but had to step away for a bit. If/when I get back to a more serious gigging situation, I think I will definitely invest in a second FM9 or FM3. But in the past, I would bring my Tech21 RK5 which can go direct to the board and it has a clean amp model, with reverb, delay, overdrive and a separate button for clean boost. It also has cab modeling. It sounds excellent for its price point and is so easy to setup. I use a variax which can handle alternate tunings and my half step down songs or drop D songs easy. But I’d consider getting a digitech drop just in case. I know you’re an experienced gigger but I’m just sharing to contribute some decent ideas. So I have my fm9 and Variax as my main rig direct to board. For my birthday, I bought a second Variax as a gift to myself. I have the Tech21 RK5 that I bring to every gig in case all else fails. But before I got my second Variax, I bought the Mooer GTRS guitar. This guitar is kind of nifty; it has amp, cab, and effects modeling on board the guitar and can connect via Bluetooth to the app where things can be edited. But the guitar can also connect direct to board. Now it’s not fractal quality, but if you spent some time tweaking, it will do fine. So I’m covered in multiple ways. But I think the best would be two FM9s or FM9 and FM3 but that would be a lot to carry. The advantage of the Tech21 unit is it can fit in any bag real easily as an extra and the Mooer GTRS is just an extra guitar. Just sharing some ideas. Cheers

I have not done a fly date in a while, but before I had the FM3, I used a sansamp flyrig. Cheap and sounded decent as a backup. I even used it for a few gigs when I could not travel with the Axe FX. It’s so light that it fit inside my guitar case. Now I have an FM9 and an FM3. I’d take the FM3 on a flight as my first choice. But I’d still bring the Flyrig as a backup.

I was in a busy agency cover band for a while but had to step away for a bit. If/when I get back to a more serious gigging situation, I think I will definitely invest in a second FM9 or FM3. But in the past, I would bring my Tech21 RK5 which can go direct to the board and it has a clean amp model, with reverb, delay, overdrive and a separate button for clean boost. It also has cab modeling. It sounds excellent for its price point and is so easy to setup. I use a variax which can handle alternate tunings and my half step down songs or drop D songs easy. But I’d consider getting a digitech drop just in case. I know you’re an experienced gigger but I’m just sharing to contribute some decent ideas. So I have my fm9 and Variax as my main rig direct to board. For my birthday, I bought a second Variax as a gift to myself. I have the Tech21 RK5 that I bring to every gig in case all else fails. But before I got my second Variax, I bought the Mooer GTRS guitar. This guitar is kind of nifty; it has amp, cab, and effects modeling on board the guitar and can connect via Bluetooth to the app where things can be edited. But the guitar can also connect direct to board. Now it’s not fractal quality, but if you spent some time tweaking, it will do fine. So I’m covered in multiple ways. But I think the best would be two FM9s or FM9 and FM3 but that would be a lot to carry. The advantage of the Tech21 unit is it can fit in any bag real easily as an extra and the Mooer GTRS is just an extra guitar. Just sharing some ideas. Cheers
I bought the RK5 to Trinidad for a gig. I love RK and Tech 21 and know a lot of their management and employees, but that unit was just not for me. I couldn’t return it fast enough.

I see H9s on a lot of Fractal boards (mostly with FM3). I'm curious: what do you use it for?

Don't get me wrong--I'm not judging; I have a Keeley Halo on my FM9 board. I'm sure the FM9T can do what it does but I still have it on there. 🤷🏾‍♂️

What didn’t do it for you?
It didn’t sound like a complete enough solution to play thru. Tried it thru the fx return of a DSL. The delay was ok and I think I remember the verb being usable that way but the drive just sounded abrupt and ugly to me. In front of the amp it worked fine, but I hate time based fx in front. Wouldn’t dream of going direct with it. No 4CM, this just wasn’t the product for me.
I see H9s on a lot of Fractal boards (mostly with FM3). I'm curious: what do you use it for?

Don't get me wrong--I'm not judging; I have a Keeley Halo on my FM9 board. I'm sure the FM9T can do what it does but I still have it on there. 🤷🏾‍♂️
Really love their delays, black hole verb, the trcerachorus rocks, some of the special fx in there too can be fun. Their fx really seem to add a dimension to things.

Back
Top Bottom