FM9 Proper Setup for Plugins

Nimbas

Inspired
Love my FM9 - everything's great using it as an audio interface with 2 monitors at my desk. I have it plugged up USB to my computer - with it's own patches recording is easy. It even makes playing my games sound great.

One thing I was curious of though is how to setup it to use as an audio interface with plugins like say Helix Native. I want to send the guitar (without any FM9 amps or effects) right into native and hear it's processed outcome - like say if I wanted to just hear an amp and cab and reverb from native - but not mixed with a dry signal. I did some searching yesterday and I can't seem to find any videos on this - only revamping and stuff like that.

Off the cuff I'd think you'd want to send like Input 1 > usb(something) - then set the interface for that usb(something) as it's input - then of course the FM9 is already picking up the output from usb because I can hear my computer games and such so that should be normal. I just can't tell how to do that.

Perhaps I'm over thinking it. Thanks in advance.

USB 5 and 6 are the FM9’s raw unprocessed input 1. Just set the input of the track to USB 5, turn on input monitoring on the track, and mute the output of whatever preset is loaded on the FM9, or go to a blank preset.

USB 5 and 6 are the FM9’s raw unprocessed input 1. Just set the input of the track to USB 5, turn on input monitoring on the track, and mute the output of whatever preset is loaded on the FM9, or go to a blank preset.
So you don't need any configuration on the grid at all? Not even an Input 1 > Output 1?

So you don't need any configuration on the grid at all? Not even an Input 1 > Output 1?
From your description, you don’t want to use anyth No n the grid, so why put stuff there? What you want to do doesn’t require a preset at all.

USB channels 5/6 bypass the grid and are a copy of the AxeFX input. So it doesn't matter what you have in the grid. You'll just need to mute the output of the AxeFX so you only hear the monitored signal through the plugin. For example, change the Output 1 mode to "Mute" in your I/O settings. This is all covered in the recording guide mentioned above.

I guess I kind of wishing the setup was within a patch rather than being system settings I have to remember to switch back and forth. So like when I want to play that way - I just go to that patch - and return to normal when I use my normal patch.

I was expecting the setup to be something like take Input1 (or whatever) > Usb Output (5/6) (which I guess we don't have configuration of. Then have another block from whatever usb input is coming back to the AxeFx and send that to Output 1.

No way to leave normal settings alone and just have the entire thing patch driven?

No way to leave normal settings alone and just have the entire thing patch driven?

Sure, just create a preset that consists only of an input 1 block connected to an output 2 block (remembering to turn the level of that output block down by 20 dB). Use usb channels 3/4 as input to your track that contains the plugin. That way, assuming you're monitoring output 1, you won't need to mute anything on the AxeFX. Just turn on input monitoring on the plugin track and you're good to go.

I am trying to use my FM9 in this config and I cannot get it to work at all (using L6 Helix Native on a Logic Pro X channel/track).

1. Logic has a basic track set to Input 5
  2. Loaded up a preset on FM9 that is just Input1 to Output 1
  3. I can hear the guitar coming out of my Yamaha monitors (as expected - input 1 to output 1)
  4. I can see the signal level in the channel in logic
  5. Using Native on that track, I do not get any 'amp sim' or preset sounds, only AFTER I stop record and pressing play
I am missing something simple...

It sounds like you just need to turn on input monitoring. Depending on how you want it to work, you can turn on Logic's "Input Monitoring Only for the focused track". in Settings -> Audio -> General, then turn on input monitoring for that track.

Although your steps 1 and 2 don't make sense, you would normally do one or the other, but not both. And you need to mute the FM9 output. See the instructions above or see the "Monitor Through DAW" instructions in the recording guide.

It sounds like you just need to turn on input monitoring. Depending on how you want it to work, you can turn on Logic's "Input Monitoring Only for the focused track". in Settings -> Audio -> General, then turn on input monitoring for that track.

Although your steps 1 and 2 don't make sense, you would normally do one or the other, but not both. And you need to mute the FM9 output. See the instructions above or see the "Monitor Through DAW" instructions in the recording guide.
Thanks I did have input monitoring on. But if I mute the FM9, I don't hear anything at all (as Logic is routed through my FM9)

Thanks I did have input monitoring on. But if I mute the FM9, I don't hear anything at all (as Logic is routed through my FM9)

The mute setting for the output mode does not affect pass through audio coming from the computer. If muting the output by setting the FM9 output mode to mute affects audio coming from the computer, you must be sending the computer audio through the grid. Don't do that :).

Sure, just create a preset that consists only of an input 1 block connected to an output 2 block (remembering to turn the level of that output block down by 20 dB). Use usb channels 3/4 as input to your track that contains the plugin. That way, assuming you're monitoring output 1, you won't need to mute anything on the AxeFX. Just turn on input monitoring on the plugin track and you're good to go.

Why is that needed?

Thanks, I still struggle with USB levels. Even reamping DIs recorded with the FM9 sometimes I feel the reamp tones are less gained

Back
Top Bottom