FM9 Power Protection

guitarjim

Experienced
I'm transitioning from an Axe-FX II to the FM9. As I had a rack anyway, I had a Furman power conditioner in it, but moving to the FM9, I'd like to ditch the rack completely if possible as having less to carry around was a big part of downsizing the rig. How important is it to have surge suppression and/or conditioning in front of the FM9?

The FM9 is an expensive piece of gear. A good surge suppressor/conditioner is cheap by comparison. Yeah, it's important to protect the FM9 (and any other gear IMHO). How bad would you feel if a power spike blew out your FM9 because you didn't spend $50-$150 on a good suppressor/conditioner?

I use the CyberPower 1000 VA AVR Battery Backup and Surge Protector. Delivers hours of battery backup time in case of outtage.

Worth a few hundred dollar investment for such expensive gear.

The FM9 is an expensive piece of gear. A good surge suppressor/conditioner is cheap by comparison. Yeah, it's important to protect the FM9 (and any other gear IMHO). How bad would you feel if a power spike blew out your FM9 because you didn't spend $50-$150 on a good suppressor/conditioner?
you can't get a good conditioner for 50-150 bucks. Nothing under 150 is going to catch a spike and correct brown power. Nothing under 400 really

Last edited by a moderator:
Take this with you to the show :D
It's called putting it in a rack. If you're plugging your 2k+ gear into someone's dirty power then the joke is on you when the power spikes, goes dim, goes out and your equipment goes with it. an average club has a 10 ton AC unit. do you know what kind of draw that pulls on start up?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with what's been said. A good surge protector and battery backup is essential. I mean I even use it in my condo. For gigging it's a must. Why risk damage to thousands of dollars worth of equipment? Consider this -- in addition to your FM9 you have to plug in your guitars , Amps, and FRFR units. You could blow them all out. And will your insurance company even cover your damages if they found out you didn't use a surge protector?

Maybe power surges is more common in some countries or areas? I have never used any kind of surge protection on any of my gear in my 25 years of playing music and gigging. Never had any issues apart from some small amount of noise in some venues. Never had any electrical appliances being damaged by power issues at home either.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I get the "insurance" of having surge and conditioning, but I'm not quite understanding the need to lug around 100 pounds of battery backup. If the power goes out, I'm at the bar.

Furman AC215-A. Two 120VAC outlets, surge protection, clean power conditioning, powers both my FM9 and an outboard stomp box, connected via wall wart. Fits under my Temple Audio Duo 24, additionally secured by Temple Audio bracket.

My Furman was connected to the FM9 via a modified 3-prong IEC/AC cable, so the the cable would fit through one of my Temple Audio access holes. If perhaps you have soldering ability, you can do this yourself, or pay a tech to help you wire a cable through. (My guitar tech/luthier buddy helped me with mine.) The power source of the Furman was a Temple Audio Micro IEC switch. The Furman stays switched on, the TA Micro powers the Furman on/off.

Last edited:
I think you need to find a compromise that works for you between size, weight, expense, and level of protection. There are some small and relatively light and portable UPS option available but to be honest, I never carry one, even though they are a great idea, think I need to start using one. You are operating a computer catered to sound production.

If you are on a big tour, sure, why not go with some expensive (and heavy) power conditioning. Otherwise, seems like overkill to me. Let insurance handle any replacements necessary if the venue manages to fry your equipment. Always bring a backup! Really comes down to your personal degree of risk tolerance and how expensive or irreplaceable your rig is.

I am usually more concerned about getting electrocuted by hinky power than I am about my equipment frying, although I don't want that happening either. At home/studio I have a UPS and power conditioner. For performances the PA is fully protected by a power conditioner but not in use for my modeler. I think it is always important at a minimum though to always plug in through some kind of surge protector. I also like using GFCI surge protectors as they provide additional fast-acting protection against shock hazards and are inexpensive, small, light, and easy to stuff into a backpack or gigbag side-pocket.

Last edited:
A lot of people will tell you that a battery backup is essential. But the truth is, pretty much nobody actually gigs with one. Especially if they’re running a floor rig. Where you gonna put many pounds of electronics wrapped around a lead-acid battery?

I've been using an APC UPS at gigs, it has surge protection and will run the Fractal for +/-30 mins I figure it's a computer so protect it like I would a computer, we play a lot of festivals so it protects me from random power outages. It's small enough to live in my leads box.

I'm in the UK but use this: UPS

Back
Top Bottom