FM9 Output settings

jlglespaul

Inspired
What should my setting be for Output 1 going to main PA -10 or +4 dbV?
What should if be for Output 2 going to FRFR Speaker?

thanks

Unfortunately, there is no universal answer to this question since It depends on your gear.

Ideally, you want the output to be consistently hitting the -6 db level on the input of the FOH mixer board input(s). This will give you the best signal to noise ratio with plenty of headroom to prevent clipping the input on dynamic peaks. The same logic applies to your FRFR speaker. Unfortunately, most FRFR solutions do not feature input meters. At best they might have an input clip light. If your FRFR has an input clip light then turn up the output on the FM9 to the point where the FRFR input clip light flashes while playing your loudest scene and then turn down output 2 until it no longer lights up.

Keep in mind to also watch the output meters on the FM9. If you are clipping the output on the FM9 at the -10 setting they you should switch to the +4 setting. If the +4 setting is providing enough signal to clip the inputs of your FOH mixer even at low settings then the -10 setting will provide you with a greater usable range on the output knobs.

Anecdotally, I run both my FM9 and my Axe-FX III at +4.

I hope that helps.

Unfortunately, there is no universal answer to this question since It depends on your gear.

Ideally, you want the output to be consistently hitting the -6 db level on the input of the FOH mixer board input(s). This will give you the best signal to noise ratio with plenty of headroom to prevent clipping the input on dynamic peaks. The same logic applies to your FRFR speaker. Unfortunately, most FRFR solutions do not feature input meters. At best they might have an input clip light. If your FRFR has an input clip light then turn up the output on the FM9 to the point where the FRFR input clip light flashes while playing your loudest scene and then turn down output 2 until it no longer lights up.

Keep in mind to also watch the output meters on the FM9. If you are clipping the output on the FM9 at the -10 setting they you should switch to the +4 setting. If the +4 setting is providing enough signal to clip the inputs of your FOH mixer even at low settings then the -10 setting will provide you with a greater usable range on the output knobs.

Anecdotally, I run both my FM9 and my Axe-FX III at +4.

I hope that helps.
In addition, it also depends on how you set the Output knobs on the front and how loud the presets have been dialed in.

Back
Top Bottom