FM9 for Just Effects

Have been using my AxeFx III and FM9 as standalone units for live stuff for the last couple years and love them. I thought it would be fun to pull the trigger on the new Marshall JTM reissue and try using the FM9 solely for effects. Any issues running everything in front of the amp (usually just boost/drive, reverb, and delay, maybe a little modulation) or do you those of you who do this use the four cable method? The amp has an effects loop. Haven't really tried it before and thinking that might be a little above my pay grade...

Thanks.

I think it all depends on how clean you wanna set your amp. If you set it clean, I haven’t found a huge advantage to doing the 4CM. I don’t have experience with this amp though. I’ve tired it both ways using a Mesa Fillmore 50. Clean channel half way on gain works great in front. Drive or high channel I have to go 4CM otherwise it’s a mess

If you haven’t looked already, pgs. 34 and 36 in the manual have Fractal’s recommendations for configuring the modeler.

Basically, use Humbuster cables from the modeler to the amp, and don’t insert an Amp or Cab block because you’re relying on the Marshall to supply those.

Well, you could use the Amp block if you’re using it like a Drive block, but everything will be filtered by the Marshall’s preamp+amp+cab+speaker, so it won’t sound quite the same, but that’s why Cliff gave us knobs to turn. :)

Have fun!

Last edited:
Approach the FM9 like you would a regular pedalboard. You can 100% just run all of your effects straight into the amp, and it'll sound like running a pedalboard into a JTM45. If you decide to mess with the loop, 4CM works great, although I'm a little surprised that that new 45s have an effects loop to begin with- usually loops are for preamps that are contributing a significant amount of distortion, so that you have your distortion coming from the pedals and preamp, and then time based effects in the loop. The JTM45's preamp was never super gainy- iirc, it's heavily "inspired" by the 5F6A Bassman.
I use my Fractal stuff for just effects all the time, and it works great. Have fun!

Don't overlook the cool possibility of running our amp models into the power amp return. This is also covered in the manual on pp. 30-31

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/FM9/FM9-Owners-Manual.pdf
This is actually my favorite way to run my FM9 with my real amps. I've tested on numerous occasions with the amp models vs my real amps. Without fail, I've found that the Fractal models sound and feel every bit as good to me so there's really no need to run 4CM.

This is actually my favorite way to run my FM9 with my real amps. I've tested on numerous occasions with the amp models vs my real amps. Without fail, I've found that the Fractal models sound and feel every bit as good to me so there's really no need to run 4CM.
Right? I wish I had a "red pill" for all of the people who fight this notion to struggle against the overcomplicated rigs that poor @Mark Day helps to support.

Right? I wish I had a "red pill" for all of the people who fight this notion to struggle against the overcomplicated rigs that poor @Mark Day helps to support.
Exactly. Don't bother with 4CM, just run an instrument cable from an output to your amp's fx loop and disable cab sims. Easy peasy.

But...well...you know how it is... :)

Edit: this is not to invalidate anyone's chosen method. Just saying what works for me and maybe a little nudge to give it a shot if someone hasn't. Fractal gear is capable of doing just about anything and doing it very well.

Last edited:
This is how Alex Lifeson does it.

Fractal even made his effects block available for download if you want to check them out.

Exactly. Don't bother with 4CM, just run an instrument cable from output 1 to your amp's fx loop and disable cab sims. Easy peasy.

But...well...you know how it is... :)

Edit: this is not to invalidate anyone's chosen method. Just saying what works for me and maybe a little nudge to give it a shot if someone hasn't. Fractal gear is capable of doing just about anything and doing it very well.
So you don’t run it into the front of the amp? I’ll definitely have a drive in there. Also, the manual suggests running it out of output 3. Is that not necessary? Although that’s with using it with just the effects.

So you don’t run it into the front of the amp? I’ll definitely have a drive in there. Also, the manual suggests running it out of output 3. Is that not necessary? Although that’s with using it with just the effects.
I have run 4CM but never just into the front. That's because all my amps have Effects loops. Recently though, I'll just run a cable straight into the effects loop return of my amp which bypasses the amp's preamp. Instead I use the amp models in the FM9.

For you, you could run a cable straight from output 3 to the FX return of the amp and use a fractal model of a JTM (Brit 45?). I'd say you probably should try that and compare it with the tone just playing straight into your amp. See if you can dial it in to sound and feel the same or better. Could be eye opening.

Output 3 actually does make a ton of sense as in a way it's built for that.

Thanks. My first thought was just to start simple and use the FM9 as just a "pedalboard" into the front of the amp and see how that sounds. I'll try your idea too, although it's kinda what I'm doing now with my Axe. I'm running the Axe into a Hafler power amp then into the 2x12 I'll be using with the Marshall. Wondering how much different the Marshall's power amp would sound than the Hafler.

I used to use my Axe-FX III in the effects loop of my tube head-effects only-with traditional pedals in front of the amp. Not quite what you're looking for, but it worked great. MIDI-enabled amp, plus an RJM Effect Gizmo to handle all of the other switching.

Now I'm down-sizing, simplifying, and plan to use my FM9 with my 2203 clone, 4CM. I can use the FM9 for pre-effects in front of the amp's preamp, then post effects in the loop. I also have presets with amp modelling disabled, sending directly to the effects return on the 2203. I also have some presets set up for direct to FOH, so the FM9 becomes my backup if my 2203 has an issue. Or if for some reason my FM9 has a problem, I can plug straight into the 2203 to at least get through the gig.

Lots of options. Starting simple makes a lot of sense though :)

Another thought. Using the FM9 as a pedalboard gives one the option of scenes instead of the tap dancing one may have had to do with traditional pedals. I can’t imagine more than eight different pedal combinations I’d need for our set list. I’m really looking forward to trying this.

FM9 is great as an effects only unit. I have used it with an AC15 and AC30 at band practice and it sounds killer, both times all into the front. I do set the amps VERY clean though and use the Riot and tube driver pedal models for my gain. I think you can get some cool effects using delays in front of gain, but my preference is after.

I even set all my song patches up so that I can swap back and forth between the amp and the built in amp model. When I have it set to amp model output 3 still goes to the front of the amp so I could run an amp on stage without micing and have all FM9 going FOH

Brought the AC15 to use at my last gig but in the end it became too much of a hassle. Stage volume was causing issues for the sound man during sound check and rather then fight it out I just went straight FM9 and the AC15 was simply a stage prop.

If you find you do not like your time based effects/reverbs/delays going into the front, definitely experiment in the loop. Even with your amp set clean, if the output going into the front is too hot, you can push you preamp section into breakup thus adding distortion after those effects.

Back
Top Bottom