FM9 Firmware Version 6.00 public beta (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHY is there an on\off choice to use gapless switching? CPU penalty? Why would you NOT want that switched on?

I'm just looking at this thread first time, skimmed through 20 pages (pretty fast I admit) and I saw this question asked more than once but no answers (unless i missed it)
When I tested right now, setting Spillover and Gapless on and off, moving preset up and then down, I don't notice any change in CPU having Spillover and Gapless enabled so it seems like a no-brainer enabling this, or at least having it enabled on default.

The only thing I can think of is that previously it was mentioned that for spillover to work reliably, you have to have the same blocks in the two presets you're moving between. So if you have a long cavern reverb in preset 1 and a short hall reverb in preset 2, it could lead to strange artifacts and you wouldn't get the spillover effect because the reverb block would use the algorithm in preset 2 as soon as that's loaded. Me, I pretty much use the same reverb and delay blocks in all my presets. And I think now when there's no penalty switching channels, I'll create one master delay block and use in all my presets and just select what channel I'm using.

WHY is there an on\off choice to use gapless switching? CPU penalty? Why would you NOT want that switched on?

I'm just looking at this thread first time, skimmed through 20 pages (pretty fast I admit) and I saw this question asked more than once but no answers (unless i missed it)
Yes, you missed it ... slight CPU bump.

Yes, you missed it ... slight CPU bump.
Yep, double-checked now. 1.5% increase on one of my presets. And for me it was all in the gapless setting. Enabling spillover didn't affect CPU at all for me. Definitely low enough for me that I think it should be enabled on default, but what do I know 😀.

Also tested the spillover as per my previous post. Long (20s) reverb in one preset and a short 1.5s reverb in another and it just gets cutoff when loading the new preset, as expected. Couldn't here any artifacts or any strangeness, again not expecting it, and that was my memory of previous limitations (which may well going back to Axe Fx 2 days).

Many of my presets are set up in such aw way that they are already mostly gapless, and the pedal controllers I use in nearly every preset can't blend in/out effects parameters across different presets. Coupled with slightly higher CPU usage, it gets into the range where the FM9 is starting to act up if the editor is communicating with it. The little bit of extra burden that FM9-Edit comms adds is a nice little buffer to keep a preset in the reliable range. May try the Scenes/Channels setting and see how it goes....

Reactions: KFF
Many of my presets are set up in such aw way that they are already mostly gapless, and the pedal controllers I use in nearly every preset can't blend in/out effects parameters across different presets. Coupled with slightly higher CPU usage, it gets into the range where the FM9 is starting to act up if the editor is communicating with it. The little bit of extra burden that FM9-Edit comms adds is a nice little buffer to keep a preset in the reliable range. May try the Scenes/Channels setting and see how it goes....
Yeah, that's what I'm in the process of doing. Previously I had presets with 2 drives in them because I didn't want a gap. Now I use 1 drive and 2 channels. I may actually ditch the drives and use more amp channels moving forward. I had some presets with 3 delays in them and that's also now down to 1. With no gap penalty for using channels, I restructure my presets to use more channels and that saves a lot more CPU than the gapless penalty.

Yeah, that's what I'm in the process of doing. Previously I had presets with 2 drives in them because I didn't want a gap. Now I use 1 drive and 2 channels.

I have a subset of presets where I stack drives (GriddleCake -> Klone is a nice combo) to get four sounds out of two buttons. The single drive block presets already have channels with different drives in them, but mistly only get switched before starting due to gaps. Might be a bit more inclined to switch them now....

I may actually ditch the drives and use more amp channels moving forward. I had some presets with 3 delays in them and that's also now down to 1.

I run my delays in parallel to get more control over the delay, but don't often switch their channels.

With no gap penalty for using channels, I restructure my presets to use more channels and that saves a lot more CPU than the gapless penalty.

When I finally finish updating my presets (from the FM9 -> FX3 combination I was running to FM9-only), I will start going through and see what improvements can be made without messing up the way they work....

When I tested right now, setting Spillover and Gapless on and off, moving preset up and then down, I don't notice any change in CPU having Spillover and Gapless enabled so it seems like a no-brainer enabling this, or at least having it enabled on default.

The only thing I can think of is that previously it was mentioned that for spillover to work reliably, you have to have the same blocks in the two presets you're moving between. So if you have a long cavern reverb in preset 1 and a short hall reverb in preset 2, it could lead to strange artifacts and you wouldn't get the spillover effect because the reverb block would use the algorithm in preset 2 as soon as that's loaded. Me, I pretty much use the same reverb and delay blocks in all my presets. And I think now when there's no penalty switching channels, I'll create one master delay block and use in all my presets and just select what channel I'm using.
The way around the spillover glitches is to have two reverb blocks (or delay). Scene 1 (or preset 1) has Reverb Block 1 with a long cavern that is active, and Reverb Block 2 with a short hall that is bypassed. Scene 2 (or preset 2) has Reverb Block 1 with a long cavern that is bypassed, and Reverb Block 2 with a short hall that is active. When you flip back and forth both spillover properly. Works the same with delay.

Having played around some more on this beta, I agree with what others have previously mentioned in that I’m perceiving a greater clarity to my amp sounds, and it just seems easier to tame either the lows or highs to get the sound you’re after.

Great update! 😀

After doing a System reset, a Layout reset and a reboot after that it's functioning again.
FWIW I had the exact same problem last night with footswitch #6 - was not registering presses in any layout or even in the "EZ setting" FC menu. MLM switch combo is disabled, but I tried toggling it on and off & saw no behavior change. For me, a simple power cycle brought the switch back - I made no other layout resets/changes.

My guess is that one of the reasons is that it because there's a slight CPU usage bump, and some user presets maybe already around 80%. This would allow you to run and reconfigure your presets by getting rid of redundant blocks (Amp, Cab, Delay, Reverb, etc) that were originally set up as a "pseudo gapless" workaround. When you get rid of that extra drive, amp, delay, etc block you have in your preset to avoid gaps (because you don't need to do this anymore), it will save a lot more CPU % usage than the slight bump when gapless is turned on.

I've had my unit for only a few months, so I don't have a lot of this work in front of me. Just waiting on the official release, and preset building will be so much easier. Thanks Fractal!

Possible Bug...in FM9 edit / presets/ manage...when I try to drag and drop a preset to swap with another or to an empty slot, it takes 30-40 seconds to look like it is doing it, then when I press save it takes 10 seconds or so to save it, I wait a few more seconds and close the panel only to find that the presets are still where they were...they did not swap places.
I tied swapping and just moving to an empty slot...no dice....it always worked within seconds before.

Possible Bug...in FM9 edit / presets/ manage...when I try to drag and drop a preset to swap with another or to an empty slot, it takes 30-40 seconds to look like it is doing it, then when I press save it takes 10 seconds or so to save it, I wait a few more seconds and close the panel only to find that the presets are still where they were...they did not swap places.
I tied swapping and just moving to an empty slot...no dice....it always worked within seconds before.
Ken,

IIRC, swapping presets in user slots was not an option, though copying to an empty slot, then deleting the former preset is. There is less control regards this, but it's necessary to work more slowly so as to avoid corrupted files or system crashes.

The key to copying to an empty slot is straight-forward, the empty slot auto-saves what you've copied. Only thing you need to clean up is delete/save the former preset from the user slot you copied from, so as to free up user slot space.

My personal preference is to work with the FM9-Edit toolbar > Preset > Copy a Preset, which opens up the preset screen where you can select where you'd like to copy your preset to. Much easier.

This way, you can place your choicest presets at the beginning, middle or end of your user slots, and default to wherever you might need to by working with FM9-Edit & presets.

Ken,

IIRC, swapping presets in user slots was not an option, though copying to an empty slot, then deleting the former preset is. There is less control regards this, but it's necessary to work more slowly so as to avoid corrupted files or system crashes.

The key to copying to an empty slot is straight-forward, the empty slot auto-saves what you've copied. Only thing you need to clean up is delete/save the former preset from the user slot you copied from, so as to free up user slot space.

My personal preference is to work with the FM9-Edit toolbar > Preset > Copy a Preset, which opens up the preset screen where you can select where you'd like to copy your preset to. Much easier.

This way, you can place your choicest presets at the beginning, middle or end of your user slots, and default to wherever you might need to by working with FM9-Edit & presets.

Swapping presets has always worked for me by just dragging one over the other and then pressing save...I did try to drag to an empty slot as well with no luck...thanks for the reply anyway...

Swapping presets has always worked for me by just dragging one over the other and then pressing save...I did try to drag to an empty slot as well with no luck...thanks for the reply anyway...
This is new info to me. I've most always needed to use "save preset to a new slot", now rendered "copy preset" to open the preset screen where things can be moved around. Simply highlighting a new slot and clicking OK works without any difficulty...swapping had never occurred to me before simply because I learned the old school way first...

What edit version are you using? As stated above there is a new one that fixed this bug from the earlier version.

I'm loving the Beta 6 stuff. However I am having trouble backing up getting an error message time out
anyone know what's up or how to fix?
1706393627847.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom