FM9 Firmware Version 6.00 public beta (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this the latency tweak Clif was talking about ? hmmmm. ,,, still much appreciated !
I'm not certain. I need to go review that conversation. I seem to recall him saying the amp block may be doubling something. Too bad that wasn't 128 samples, or more. Ha

Off to review.

I'm not certain. I need to go review that conversation. I seem to recall him saying the amp block may be doubling something. Too bad that wasn't 128 samples, or more. Ha

Off to review.
That’s what he was talking about FM9 had an extra buffer in the code somewhere
IIRC ,

That’s what he was talking about FM9 had an extra buffer in the code somewhere
IIRC ,

It appears that perhaps there's a bug in the FM9 and it's adding an extra 64 samples of latency. I will discuss this with the head engineer on that project tomorrow.

Yes, the next release reduces the latency.

So 64 samples was initially mentioned. Later says this release will "reduce" latency. It did by 32 samples. So perhaps it was a double 32 sample buffer in the Amp block, giving 64 samples total? Great to get back regardless.

I have an FM3 and 9 but won't be able to test for a few days. Perhaps someone else will geek out and compare. He does mention they should be the same... with identical paths, obviously.

Great update all around!

Here's the preset (minus the phaser block because something had to go) with gapless off...

Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 7.16.52 PM.png

And gapless on...

Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 7.17.55 PM.png

It looks like a lot could be learned examining that setup, DP25. Would you be willing to post it?
Interestingly, it won't let me right now. FM9 Edit errors out on me...wait. I managed to do it using manage presets > export. Wait again...I try to attach it and it says the file is empty. Hm.

@m_brown or whoever is handling FM-9 Edit, that might be something to check on. Preset export is acting strange.

When I go to export I get:

"Communication time-out:
Unable to complete the following communication request: File Export to Sysex : patch_dump
Please check the selected ports in the Settings / Preferences dialog and try again."

I've tried restarting FM9 Edit, but that didn't help. I tried deleting a block to get it below 80% and that didn't work either. Tried restarting the FM9...no workee.

Here's the preset (minus the phaser block because something had to go) with gapless off...

View attachment 133782

And gapless on...

View attachment 133783

Interestingly, it won't let me right now. FM9 Edit errors out on me...wait. I managed to do it using manage presets > export. Wait again...I try to attach it and it says the file is empty. Hm.

@m_brown or whoever is handling FM-9 Edit, that might be something to check on. Preset export is acting strange.

When I go to export I get:

"Communication time-out:
Unable to complete the following communication request: File Export to Sysex : patch_dump
Please check the selected ports in the Settings / Preferences dialog and try again."

I've tried restarting FM9 Edit, but that didn't help. I tried deleting a block to get it below 80% and that didn't work either. Tried restarting the FM9...no workee.
New version of Edit solves this:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-edit-1-02-08-to-support-fw-6-00-public-beta.201281/

I just built a preset with the new Brit 800 2203 and 2204 high amps. I am going to use this with my Fryette power station and a real cabinet. I usually lower the high and low resonance on the speaker tab of the amp. I do this on all my presets that I use with an amp and cabinet.

I save the preset but it won't save the resonance settings, it goes back to default Is anyone else seeing this?
Those settings are saving fine here. I checked every parameter on the speaker page of FM9 edit and even rebooted the FM9. I checked all four of the 800/2203/2204 models.

That did it. Here you go @Angry Buzzy

For anyone wanting to try this, keep in mind it's at 84.9% CPU on my FM9T lol

Edit: it's also very much a work in progress. Scenes are named but not dialed in, etc.

Edit 2: I also have it setup to play through my entire setup right now which includes my studio monitors which are just stereo AND my three FRFRs. This means the mixer blocks aren't tweaked to be ideal for either of those two "systems". My plan is to save one preset for use with the FRFRs and one for use with the monitors. The cool thing is that you can easily just use the single preset for either system or both by just dialing in the mixer blocks appropriately. Output 1 goes to my pair of PXMs and my studio monitors; Output 2 goes to my FR-12. That may seem a little backward if just looking at the picture of the preset, but the routing and mixer blocks allow me to mix as much wet or dry signal as I want into either of the outputs. I got this idea from @GreatGreen

Edit 3: Lol...now it is at 84.9% occasionally hitting 85% and generating the warning. Fine, I just deleted the Multi-Delay block and it's down to a very comfortable 74% now. That's the "take 2" version.

Edit 4: Seems that little CPU bump to 85% was generated because the Multitap Delay block was set on Space Tape. When I set it back to my normal Aurora Delay setting it went back down to 83.7%.

Attachments

• Dirty Little Unicorn.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Dirty Little Unicorn take 2.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Wow! There can’t be too many companies - in any walk of life - who so regularly improve and enhance an already great product. Hats off to Matt B, Cliff and the perfectionists at FAS. Thank you one and all.

This video that Leon did is great! Lots of great info and examples here, and the one thing I have to say that I REALLY appreciated about this video was the "Conclusion" part of the video. I'm thankful for him expressing just how generous it is for Fractal to work as hard as they do for us. Mentioning too about how he thought we wouldn't see gapless until a new product, and here it is. I was literally praying to the Lord about it that it would be really cool if this made it to the FM9 :) and now it's here :) I'm very grateful to the Lord for that, and very grateful to Cliff, Matt B., and the rest of the Fractal team who work tirelessly because they have the passion and belief in their product to do so for US, when we really don't deserve it. It's made the work I do so much more efficient, and I am very grateful for all of this! As Leon mentioned too, the Fractal community is a great place to teach and learn more about this awesome gear, so I'm thankful for that! Looking forward to checking this new firmware out!

Happy playing, everyone!

He shows you exactly how to get gapless to work with all presets:) Well that did it! The batch trick is the cats meow!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes... all need to be saved in new firmware if you want to use gapless.

From release notes...

"For preset changes to use the gapless switching the preset must be saved under the currently running firmware version. To do so, perform a “store” operation on the preset from the FM9 panel using the “STORE” key. Alternatively, use the Save Preset (ctrl + s) function from the FM9-Edit Preset Menu. This is required even if there are no changes made otherwise to the preset. Note that the preset will no longer be compatible with previous firmware versions after the store operation."

There is a way to do them all at once. I'll go back and try and find the post for you. Meantime... you may want to do a backup of all your presets if you haven't already.
Found it, The Batch save! Thanks so much!!!!!!

Reactions: KFF
Try this. It's not clear as day, but you should be able to figure it out. If not, let me know and I'll type it out clearer.

It will take a few minutes to save them all... naturally. But far better than the alternative.

Good luck. It's easy enough.
Neither did I, this is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: KFF
Yes.

BOTH presets need to be saved with the new firmware.

If you've saved both, have all the global settings set properly, and still feel like there's a gap please attach both presets to a post for investigation.
Mine all seem gapless even before storing/re-saving. is that possible? just curious. obviously not an issue.
(using just channel/scene)

I tested this some more and I am very stumped as to what is going on. This is in regards to the post above. I did some more testing and see this behavior-

This is all happening in FM9 edit, the version that was just posted earlier today.

1. Preset 463 Plexi amped, I have four scenes. Each scene has the 1987x amp on it on a different channel with different settings on each channel. Not a complex preset, amp, delay, reverb , filter and a volume pan. I lower the speaker resonance, both high and low on each scene and save it. If I change scenes the settings I see on the cab tab on the amp for resonance it is changed back to the much higher high and low settings before the save.

This is where it gets odd. If I switch down to preset 462 using the - button and then go back up to preset 463 using the + button I see my changes, the speaker resonance settings are at the lower setting. If I use the + button and go to preset 464 and and then go back to preset 463 using the - button the resonance is back to the higher default setting. I can go back down to 462 and then come back up to 463 using the + button the lower settings are showing again.

I have not changed anything outside of switch presets up and down with the + and - symbols in FM9 edit.

The preset in slot 464 will not save these settings, no matter what I do as soon as I change scenes or go up or down a preset it shows the higher resonance settings despite me having saved it,

Truly stumped here.

They need to be saved for gapless preset changes ;)
So save is required only for presets to be gapless? I don't switch presets unless I change songs so I didn't even test that.
The scene switches seem smoother without saving though. I only gave it a minute though to test that things still work.

Two questions. I may have missed it and it may be obvious; forgive me;

1) does the speaker drive and speaker thump need the amp to be reset to reflect those changes?

2) as far as the triode algorithm updating upon recall of preset, I assume that means since I updated on a blank preset that the triode algorithm updated when I went back to my main preset?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom