FM9 Firmware Version 6.00 public beta (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean it feels like a delay before switching, instead of an audible gap (=silence)?
(Oh, and did you turn the Gapless setting on in the Setup, because it defaults to Off and i haven't seen you mention that specific setting.)
Yes, definitely a little delay, and probably no audible gap, I’ll listen closer and confirm tomorrow. I’ll start a dedicated thread so I don’t hijack this one.

Just updated but did not make any changes required for gapless switching. Why is a blank preset using 12% CPU now? I did not notice this before (but maybe it did)?

1706067115633.png

Ok, figured out why I’m not completely gapless, I think. SW1 activates on the way down but 2 & 3 activate on the way up, so there’s a gap. Sorry for the false alarm. I don’t know how to fix/change 2 & 3, if this is just a settings thing I can take this out to a separate thread.
Had holds assigned to SW2 & 3. Took those off and now the gapless is working. So good!!!!!! Posting one last time, in case anybody else has this issue. Sorry for the derail.

Last edited:
Wow, the new triode algo really perked up the sparkle and immediacy of the 65 Bassguy Bass (all I've tried so far).

Can't wait to dig into some of the other improvements!

Possible weirdness with the way the LFO works? Previous use of stopped LFO for making two CC switches (one momentary, one latching) interact like a pair of 3-way switches on either end of a hall (each negates the other's on/off state) worked with Duty Cycle switched by one from 50% to 5%, and the Output B Phase switched from 18% to 180%. Had to fairly drastically change the LFO and Rate modifier settings to get it working again.

Would post the preset, but experiencing the FM9-Edit communication timeout issue mentioned in the release thread for 1.02.07 FM9-Edit.

Screenshots of the settings before:
Screenshot%202024-01-23%20at%208.41.04%E2%80%AFPM.png
Screenshot%202024-01-23%20at%208.41.09%E2%80%AFPM.png
Screenshot%202024-01-23%20at%208.41.18%E2%80%AFPM.png

After:
Screenshot%202024-01-23%20at%208.40.39%E2%80%AFPM.png
Screenshot%202024-01-23%20at%208.40.45%E2%80%AFPM.png
Screenshot%202024-01-23%20at%208.40.53%E2%80%AFPM.png

Update: happens across multiple presets the same way. Same fix applies.

Just stopped at this preset, which I exported from 5.01 on 18-Jan-2024, same issue, same fix. Hopefully that will give a clue as to the source or trigger for the changed behavior. You'll want to be on an even-numbered Scene to get a Rotary sound. :)

Not a show-stopper, as I found alternate settings to make it work, but thought it might be worth looking at if you're looking for things that changed without a code change in that area having been intentionally made.

Update Too: If all that was in this update was the updated triode algorithm that is making the amps sound so fantastically present, punchy, and and tactile, it would have been worth the wait. The Delux Verb! Man does it sound JUICY! With the updates, I dialed the treble knob back about half a number, and it's just so amazingly bouncy, full, bright, crisp, but not ice-picky.
:)

Update Tree: Nevermind on the LFO weirdness. Probably due to the changed stuff, per the following bit in the release notes. Will have to readjust the things, I guess, since my (ab)use case is probably pretty far our on the tails. :)
New Controller LFO “Shape” control. (Controllers>LFO1, LFO2) Based on the new Tremolo LFO, “Shape” controls the shape of the LFO for all types except Square and Random. This replaces the old “Astable Beta” parameter. To learn how this and other LFO parameters interact, watch the Monitor as you make changes.

Last edited:
Just updated but did not make any changes required for gapless switching. Why is a blank preset using 12% CPU now? I did not notice this before (but maybe it did)?

View attachment 133732
I just checked an Empty preset on 5.01. It is running at 13.3% on my Non-Turbo.

EDIT.. After updating to 6.00 beta 1. Empty preset 14.1%. With Gapless set to 'All', 15.5%

Last edited:
So, just because I am ALWAYS late to the party. Did we need to perform this function on the Axe3 to get gapless switching? I honestly dont know if I am now gapless on my Axe3 as I have been working on setlists as of late
Yes... All the things are required for both FM9 and Axe Fx III.

Is there a way to update all presets automatically on the unit? Afaik there was once an option which allowed to update all presets to the current firmware version?

So, just because I am ALWAYS late to the party. Did we need to perform this function on the Axe3 to get gapless switching? I honestly dont know if I am now gapless on my Axe3 as I have been working on setlists as of late

Yes... All the things are required for both FM9 and Axe Fx III.
It is NOT required to resave presets to get gapless switching on the Axe-Fx III. There's no mention of having to do this in the Axe-Fx III's release notes.

Is there a way to update all presets automatically on the unit? Afaik there was once an option which allowed to update all presets to the current firmware version?
I used the Batch Setter option in the editor to set Level of Output 1 block to 0dB since that's the value they all have already.

Also, I think you can go into Manage Presets, select all presets and click Save.

Very nice job ! The FM9 becomes Gapless!
Why offer gapless adjustment options ? I did not see a significant increase in system load

We're all gonna do a full backup BEFORE, right? ;)

Been doing a full backup almost daily, due to the amount of overdue updates from 5.01 that had never gotten done.

I thought I had them all a week or so ago, but found some more that still had stuff needing to be updated from when I was previously running the FM9 and the FX3 together.... :D

Hopeing I missed something somewhere.. I did all of "Gapless Preset/Scene/Channel Switching : A new parameter in SETUP > Global Settings > Gapless Channel/Scene/Preset has three settings; Off, Channel & Scene, and All. For preset changes to use the gapless switching the preset must be saved under the currently running firmware version." followed by "To do so, perform a “store” operation on the preset from the FM9 panel using the “STORE” key. Alternatively, use the Save Preset (ctrl + s) function from the FM9-Edit Preset Menu" But i still hear the gaps when switching from preset to preset.. running beta 6.0 and edit 1.02.07..

Anyone know if restoring an all-presets backup after upgrading to 6.00 will accomplish the same thing as saving presets one by one to enable the gapless switching? I'm thinking maybe not.

Pretty massive update for the FM9 - it will take quite some time to check out all the changes.

Just a query on the MkV models - I was very pleased to see that the green and red channel of the MkV amp are listed in the changes. I got the impression from forum discussion on the blizzard of earlier AXE III updates that these MkV channels arrived there with switches allowing selection of the three modes of the MkV green channel - clean, fat and tweed. The Fat switch is there on the tone page. There is a preamp sag control on the preamp page - is anyone seeing any other switching options for the tweed mode on the MkV green channel on the FM9 model?

Last edited:
Anyone know if restoring an all-presets backup after upgrading to 6.00 will accomplish the same thing as saving presets one by one to enable the gapless switching? I'm thinking maybe not.
Use the batch setter on a param you never touch. I used the Output Level of the Output2 block, but any one that's always the same in EVERY preset will do nicely. @austinbuddy has a nice how-to in this post: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-firmware-version-6-00-public-beta-1.201261/post-2513909 a couple pages back in the replies on this thread. :) HTH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom