FM9 Firmware Version 5.01

Love the Phantom! One of my all time fave fighters!

Here's a throwback to me flying an F-4 Phantom simulator in 96 at Holloman AFB. A group of 10 of us Marine GCI guys got to go on det to Holloman and control flights for the 120th Silver Lobos, who transitioned from F-4s to F-16s and were hosting the Luftwaffe in F-4s and Tornados. I think most other squadrons there were flying the F-117. We got to sit in one, and I was surprised how 'old' the cockpit was, but alas - no pictures allowed LOL. We jarheads got to live like kings in the Air Force barracks and party with the enlisted German crews they brought over with them. They had an old F-4 sim that they let us fly. I was the only pilot in the group (with a private license and about 50 hours total). So my buddies volunteered me to go first with one of our always crabby Gunny’s in the backseat LOL. I figured it was a real man’s jet (never touched a jet) and figured it would take some force to manipulate the controls. I was wrong lol. I went to full afterburner yanked back on the stick and stalled the jet… crashing in shame lol.

Everyone laughed. But the sim tech had mercy and let me try again. He said, use a feather touch, just think about pitch and roll. So, next try I went full afterburner and rotated into a nice climb. Pulled up the gear and flaps and off we went. Then he set me up with a basic 1v1 MiG intercept and gave my backseater some work. We got vectored to a merge with a MiG 21, which developed into a one circle fight. I was able to get behind him and let a sidewinder off the rail. Splash one MiG. I was the only one to get a kill that day. 🤘🏼😎

View attachment 133543
Great photo and story. Back then, I got to meet and talk with some pilots, some of who were rotating from Nam, and had some real close calls. We also worked with and trained the German AF, who would be controlling their pilots who were flying F-104 Starfighters, which, unfortunately, did not have a great safety record. On the side while over there, I did get to fly some gliders, but never went any further.

Love the Phantom! One of my all time fave fighters!

Here's a throwback to me flying an F-4 Phantom simulator in 96 at Holloman AFB. A group of 10 of us Marine GCI guys got to go on det to Holloman and control flights for the 120th Silver Lobos, who transitioned from F-4s to F-16s and were hosting the Luftwaffe in F-4s and Tornados. I think most other squadrons there were flying the F-117. We got to sit in one, and I was surprised how 'old' the cockpit was, but alas - no pictures allowed LOL. We jarheads got to live like kings in the Air Force barracks and party with the enlisted German crews they brought over with them. They had an old F-4 sim that they let us fly. I was the only pilot in the group (with a private license and about 50 hours total). So my buddies volunteered me to go first with one of our always crabby Gunny’s in the backseat LOL. I figured it was a real man’s jet (never touched a jet) and figured it would take some force to manipulate the controls. I was wrong lol. I went to full afterburner yanked back on the stick and stalled the jet… crashing in shame lol.

Everyone laughed. But the sim tech had mercy and let me try again. He said, use a feather touch, just think about pitch and roll. So, next try I went full afterburner and rotated into a nice climb. Pulled up the gear and flaps and off we went. Then he set me up with a basic 1v1 MiG intercept and gave my backseater some work. We got vectored to a merge with a MiG 21, which developed into a one circle fight. I was able to get behind him and let a sidewinder off the rail. Splash one MiG. I was the only one to get a kill that day. 🤘🏼😎

View attachment 133543
Love hearing from all you vets on here. That Gulfstream is amazing - what a great job you have! I was at Area 52 with the 4450th Tactical Group when we had the first operational F117s. Those and the redhats made it the most interesting assignment of my career. I haven't kept most of the mementos from my career, but this one is special...

4450th plaque.jpg

peter-pan-crocodile.gif

Nice! Looking forward to trying this stuff out on the FM9...its gonna be worth the wait folks...my AF3 is sounding so effin good and gapless is the bomb! I'm even jumping between presets in mid song on occasion and it is fantastic! If I can squeeze these presets into the FM9, that will be awesome.

Hmm, would be nice to have comments regarding updates on this forum. I mean, I look to the Fractal forum for info regarding, umm, Fractal products.
The post you quoted is on this forum so the information made it here. I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect everything Cliff and Co. say to be said directly on this forum. Conversations happen where they happen.

The post you quoted is on this forum so the information made it here. I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect everything Cliff and Co. say to be said directly on this forum. Conversations happen where they happen.
Point taken and thank you @DLC86 for taking the time to post the link here. I don't know about anyone else but this is where I come for Fractal info/updates. Not that I need to know immediately what's going on, just voicing my opinion.

Point taken and thank you @DLC86 for taking the time to post the link here. I don't know about anyone else but this is where I come for Fractal info/updates. Not that I need to know immediately what's going on, just voicing my opinion.
Me too.
When I was using a Helix, they did the same thing. Seemed like more stuff was being posted on TGP than on the Helix forum.

I'm thinking...maybe it's because companies are trying to attract new customers that way by keeping a strong presence on TGP

• Angry
Reactions: KFF
Me too.
When I was using a Helix, they did the same thing. Seemed like more stuff was being posted on TGP than on the Helix forum.

I'm thinking...maybe it's because companies are trying to attract new customers that way by keeping a strong presence on TGP
Bingo. Give this man a cigar. If builders/advertisers want to reach more people, you go where the larger crowds are. Consider that this forum is for those who already own FAS products or are strongly considering one or more.

How does one convert a non-believer into a believer?

If your product can do most everything any guitarist might want (within reason and keep your minds out of the gutter, folks :oops: ), your sales pitch is to the non-believers, not to the ones who already believe. To the ones who already believe, we believe even more so when promises of new and better things as firmware updates occur.

There ya go. Really glad to catch someone listening and appreciating. As posted above I can't wait for this stuff to hit my FM9, but that's not gonna speed it up.

Is there a planned release for the gapless switching? It's becoming a big deal for me. It's not as bad when using clean channels. But when 90% of your set is changing between 3 high gain channels - all with their own tones and levels, the gap is truly noticeable. The stop-gap method works fine with only 2 separate tones. But becomes unwieldy with > 2. This should be #1 in your Product Backlog for next release.

Is there a planned release for the gapless switching? It's becoming a big deal for me. It's not as bad when using clean channels. But when 90% of your set is changing between 3 high gain channels - all with their own tones and levels, the gap is truly noticeable. The stop-gap method works fine with only 2 separate tones. But becomes unwieldy with > 2. This should be #1 in your Product Backlog for next release.

Using 2 Amp blocks and the Multiplexer you can switch between 8 channels of amps with no gap. You just need to plan your changes.

I believe @GlennO has posted about this including a preset demonstrating it.

Back
Top Bottom