FM9 Firmware Version 5.01

What are you all going on about?
The Boss' Familiar Song: I WANT IT NOW vs. Delayed Gratification

0X51o8a.jpg

Yeah I’ve wondered that too, and I agree with you. It’s probably better to have the each firmware tailored to the specific hardware.

That said, in my dream fractal releases a floorboard with all the power of the rack lol. I'd pay top dollar for a flagship floor version that's on the same update schedule as the flagship rack.
If they said "sorry, gapless isn't going to work with the FM9", then I probably would as well. If they manage to get gapless to us, though, I wouldn't. The FM9 is really in the sweet spot, for me.

I have no doubt that most of the features and enhancements will indeed be ported over to at least the FM9. My presets are currently set up using amp channels, so yes there is a small audio gap that is annoying. Us as musicians, depending on our musical genre or playing style notice that gap. To us, 1/2 second seems like 5 seconds. I do hear it when gigging and think that the audience hears it as well. When in reality, no one heard it. I continue to get good reviews on tone, etc. No one has ever said to me at least, "What was that glitch in sound when you went to the solo?" or "You cut out there for a second between the chorus and the second verse". However, there are a few ways to eliminate the gap currently. If there happened to be no more updates, the FM9 is still an incredible unit that would take a long time to get passed up by any competitor. I personally, would likely go back through my presets and simply use scene controllers, or just leave them alone as it's been going fine for the last 2+ years.

As much as I want the update, and I want the amps even more than the switching, we have to remember Hetfield, as in James from Metallica, did some travel gigs with.... the now retired Fractal AX8.

I just love the feel of the new JS410 and am also hella curious to try the EVH Stealth thru my live rig.

Starting to feel a little neglected with the FM9 and FM3 for updates. Usually doesn’t bug me but it’s getting difficult seeing all the updates on the III and seeing all the fixes that won’t be in the FM9/3 updates.

Starting to feel a little neglected with the FM9 and FM3 for updates. Usually doesn’t bug me but it’s getting difficult seeing all the updates on the III and seeing all the fixes that won’t be in the FM9/3 updates.
Correct. Should be of near equal importance. Just my opinion of course.

We're not neglected. It just doesn't make sense to do all of the little beta tweaks across all three units. Better to let the Axe-FX be the laboratory, then once you have a viable compilation of stuff/fixes...you can focus on scaling them down for the two different tiers of processing power on FM9/FM3.

Cliff can't do it all at once. He's got help, but there will always be a lag. The bigger the original firmware and the bigger the adjustments to the core modeling engine, the bigger the lag.

EDIT: I'd also remind any FM9/3 user feeling this way that we have lots of brand new content with these Gift of Tone presets dropping on the regular from some pretty big names. Lose yourself in those for the next few weeks, and the wait for the next FM9/3 firmware should be a breeze.

Last edited:
I don't think so. Santa travels with an FM9T I'd wager. The III stays racked up with the Elves making toys.

Back
Top Bottom