FM9 Firmware Version 5.01

m_brown

Fractal Audio Systems
FM9 Firmware Version 5.01 is now available for download:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/fm9/5p0/fm9_dsp_rel_5p01.zip

The current version of FM9-Edit is required for use with this release:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-edit-1-02-01.197458/

Fractal-Bot version 3.00.18 is available:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractal-bot-3-00-18.196980/

If you are upgrading from version 4.01 or older, please follow the instructions in the Firmware Update guide PDF that is included to install the firmware and Dyna-Cabs. If you are updating from 5.00, Dyna-Cabs do not need to be reinstalled.

FM9 Firmware Version 5.01 is now available for download:
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/fm9/5p0/fm9_dsp_rel_5p01.zip

The current version of FM9-Edit is required for use with this release:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-edit-1-02-01.197458/

Fractal-Bot version 3.00.18 is available:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fractal-bot-3-00-18.196980/

If you are upgrading from version 4.01 or older, please follow the instructions in the Firmware Update guide PDF that is included to install the firmware and Dyna-Cabs. If you are updating from 5.00, Dyna-Cabs do not need to be reinstalled.

Excellent! Many Thanks

FM9 Release Notes

Updates
  • Added safeguards to prevent Cab-Lab from inadvertently disrupting factory cab content.
Fixes
  • Corrected a bug that could silence the cab block when switching to DynaCab mode.
  • The front panel controls for re-ordering Songs in a Set List now work correctly for all Set Lists.
  • The tuner now correctly disables the status message when offsets are OFF

FM9 Release Notes

Updates
  • Added safeguards to prevent Cab-Lab from inadvertently disrupting factory cab content.
Fixes
  • Corrected a bug that could silence the cab block when switching to DynaCab mode.
  • The front panel controls for re-ordering Songs in a Set List now work correctly for all Set Lists.
  • The tuner now correctly disables the status message when offsets are OFF

Thank you!!!

Thanks! Unfortunately, there's still a boot-up bug that's been present in the last several releases. When first booting, the external controller initial value settings are ignored and all set to 100%. For all subsequent patch changes after the one the unit initially boots to, these settings are respected. The FM3 doesn't have this bug. I don't have an AFXIII to test it on, so I can't comment on that.

For example, I have my wah blocks set to auto-engage and I always use external jack 3 for them. In the unit settings, I have external 3's initial value set to 0% so my wah doesn't autoengage when I boot the unit. However, that's ignored so my patches always boot with the wah on until either I plug in and move an expression pedal or I change to another patch, in which case my 0% initial setting is respected my wah block loads bypassed.

until either I plug in and move an expression pedal
If you have your wah plugged in and toe up when you turn the unit on it should start at 0% correctly on boot. With nothing connected to the expression pedal input, the behavior has always been to treat it as 100%. IIRC there's a pull-up resistor that's in play when there's no pedal connected to the jack.

If you have your wah plugged in and toe up when you turn the unit on it should start at 0% correctly on boot. With nothing connected to the expression pedal input, the behavior has always been to treat it as 100%. IIRC there's a pull-up resistor that's in play when there's no pedal connected to the jack.
Yes, but it should behave correctly on the initial preset when I don't have the pedal plugged in. That's what the initial value setting is for. It does behave correctly when I change to a second patch and the FM3 respects the initial setting on boot.

I don't always use a wah on gigs and rehearsals so for simplicity I don't always hook up an expression pedal for it. It's irritating to have to always change to a different preset and back just to get my initial value setting to load properly. Especially when I forget to do that and go to play and get a horrible cocked wah sound.

Yes, but it should behave correctly on the initial preset when I don't have the pedal plugged in.
Except it can't because it's a hardware design decision that's causing the behavior. The software, when no pedal is attached, actually thinks there's a pedal attached with the toe all the way down.

I'm not disagreeing it should be different. I'm just telling you why it is and why it remains as it is and isn't something that's been fixed.

To counter this, in presets where you use auto-engage, you can switch to toe down behavior instead of toe up behavior. Set the off value for the external controller attached to the parameter to 95% instead of 5%. When you use your expression pedal you'll park it toe down (cocked wah) to turn it off now. And set the default value for the external controller to 100% so it'll keep the blocks disengaged if you start the unit without an expression pedal attached.

Great thanks!
Will the gapless Preset, Scene and Channel change from the AxeFx III 23 Beta also be possible for the FM9 in the future?
hopefully! I don't like the strong gap when switching channels within a drive block while changing scenes at the same time. Not the end of the world but it would be that much sweeter if it was smoother.

Except it can't because it's a hardware design decision that's causing the behavior. The software, when no pedal is attached, actually thinks there's a pedal attached with the toe all the way down.

I'm not disagreeing it should be different. I'm just telling you why it is and why it remains as it is and isn't something that's been fixed.

To counter this, in presets where you use auto-engage, you can switch to toe down behavior instead of toe up behavior. Set the off value for the external controller attached to the parameter to 95% instead of 5%. When you use your expression pedal you'll park it toe down (cocked wah) to turn it off now. And set the default value for the external controller to 100% so it'll keep the blocks disengaged if you start the unit without an expression pedal attached.
I don't think that's the reason why it doesn't work.
On pretty much all fractal devices I've used (except the fm9), the purpose of the initial value setting is to ignore the resistance value reading on the connector on system boot up and preset changes, and continue to do so until the value changes.
Having a pedal connected or not, or the presence of a pull down resistor shouldn't change anything cuz that's a software function.

The issue here is that the fm9 does that correctly when changing presets but doesn't on boot up, unlike all other devices, and this has nothing to do with hardware design otherwise it wouldn't work on preset changes either.

Actually, I think the pull-down resistor has been put there to improve an issue that was present on the ax8 (and probably all hardware of the same gen), where the connection was left 'floating' when no pedal was connected and this caused tiny changes in the value read on the jack which triggered it to casually jump off the set initial value.
The pull-down resistor should just make the reading stable and avoid this issue, and be the equivalent of having a (non-moving) pedal connected.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom