FM9 Firmware Version 5.00 public beta (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Fractal. when Dyna-Cabs arrived I had high hopes it would enable a new level of tuning and it works even better than I’d hoped. Over the years, first with the AX8 and now FM9 I’ve probably spent more time messing with IRs and cab settings than any where else as that always seemed to be the critical area to tone for me.

I suspect that a lot of the factory (now legacy) IRs are made with close mic placements and I simply like the mic a bit further back.

Dyna-Cabs are awsome!

Hello!
I became an FM9 owner!
I managed to make the settings!
As I planned!
One thing won't work.
I want to change presets with an external switch.
I am attaching the picture!
Can someone help me with what I need to do to be able to change the presets with an external switch?
Thanks for the help.[

Hi Jozsef.

Welcome to the FM9 family! This thread is for discussing the beta. If you'd like to ask a general question, please post it in a new thread.

Probably against my better judgement as I have a gig this Saturday....I loaded up the beta. No issues....and my gigging preset sounds and works just like it did before the update.

I briefly tested the Dynacabs on a copy of my gigging preset and quickly realized that in order to use them, I'll need to change my gigging approach with the FM9. I have an all-in-one preset that uses an acoustic IR for my piezo pickups....and normal cabinets for cleans and dirt sounds. Since the cab block can't load an IR and have Dynacabs simultaneously, I needed to add a second cab block. Unfortunately, that bumps the CPU up into the high 80s. The patch works but I don't want to risk it. So, in order to use Dynacabs, I'll need to move my acoustic sound into a seperate preset. Not the end of the world, but I can no longer have it all-in-one.

Regardless, the feature looks really interesting and easier to use than dealing with a huge list of cabinet IRs.

Probably against my better judgement as I have a gig this Saturday....I loaded up the beta. No issues....and my gigging preset sounds and works just like it did before the update.

I briefly tested the Dynacabs on a copy of my gigging preset and quickly realized that in order to use them, I'll need to change my gigging approach with the FM9. I have an all-in-one preset that uses an acoustic IR for my piezo pickups....and normal cabinets for cleans and dirt sounds. Since the cab block can't load an IR and have Dynacabs simultaneously, I needed to add a second cab block. Unfortunately, that bumps the CPU up into the high 80s. The patch works but I don't want to risk it. So, in order to use Dynacabs, I'll need to move my acoustic sound into a seperate preset. Not the end of the world, but I can no longer have it all-in-one.

Regardless, the feature looks really interesting and easier to use than dealing with a huge list of cabinet IRs.
I don't have an FM9, but on the AxeIII, you can have Dyna-Cabs and Legacy cabs on different channels of the same cab block.

I had zero issues with the way the old cab system sounded, until I updated yesterday. Maybe it’s just my monitors, but it feels and sounds like a blanket I didn’t know was there has been lifted off my tone with the Dyna Cabs. Something in the midrange and definitely a way less compressed feel. Anyone else getting that? The Fm9 was already the best unit I’d played by a goodly amount, and I wouldn’t have thought going to another level possible, but here we are. Thanks Fractal team!

I had zero issues with the way the old cab system sounded, until I updated yesterday. Maybe it’s just my monitors, but it feels and sounds like a blanket I didn’t know was there has been lifted off my tone with the Dyna Cabs. Something in the midrange and definitely a way less compressed feel. Anyone else getting that? The Fm9 was already the best unit I’d played by a goodly amount, and I wouldn’t have thought going to another level possible, but here we are. Thanks Fractal team!

It's not just you. I made a copy of my gigging preset and did a very quick setup with the new Dynacabs. The Dynacabs sound more clear than stock cabinets I've been using since I started using my FM3...and now FM9. I've put the two presets next to each other and plan on A/B testing the update at Saturday's gig.

So I gave it go and I found it quite impressive. Tried to match my holy grail IR from ownhammer heavy hitters collection which is just a v30 mesa cab with a OH1 mix of a 121 and a 57.
I got something I liked but it was quite different. I can imagine this being most useful when adding stuff during recording avoiding using the same IR on everything.
I found it easy to get a usable tone.
Bravo

I found there was way more top end to a dynacab than a premixed Ownhammer for example when I was trying to get the voicings similar.
When I was A/Bing them I kinda felt like I preferred the duller sounding Ownhammer pre mix to be in the safe side as I think adding brightness is always easier than taking it away.

….but that’s just me.

Speaking of the new cabs, does anyone have a rough setup they are using? While the cabinet choice is personal, I'm guessing that the microphone placement would be more or less similar. My experience with micing real cabs is pretty basic...hang a 609 over the front or point a 58 at the edge of the dust cap. What settings are people using?

Speaking of the new cabs, does anyone have a rough setup they are using? While the cabinet choice is personal, I'm guessing that the microphone placement would be more or less similar. My experience with micing real cabs is pretty basic...hang a 609 over the front or point a 58 at the edge of the dust cap. What settings are people using?
Recto Straight
Dynamic 1
Position 5.0 to 5.5
Distance 6cm

Same. With Dyna-Cabs, I feel like I need to work toward the speaker edge to get in the same ballpark as my current presets/IR's, which are darker for higher volumes. Not a bad thing, but I wouldn't normal mic a cab there in real life so it has me pondering. I havent had a chance to try it a gig volume yet so maybe that'll change it a bit.
Tones DO sound cleaner and clearer with Dyna-Cabs though.

Thanks, sounds great!

FYI, there's a bug still present in this beta that I reported a couple of months ago. When the unit boots, it ignores the settings for external controller positions and everything defaults to 100%. Switching to another preset loads the correct values; just not the initial preset on boot. The FM3 and AFXIII don't do this. Here's the thread:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wah-not-bypassed-on-unit-boot.194545/post-2426689

Same. With Dyna-Cabs, I feel like I need to work toward the speaker edge to get in the same ballpark as my current presets/IR's, which are darker for higher volumes. Not a bad thing, but I wouldn't normal mic a cab there in real life so it has me pondering. I havent had a chance to try it a gig volume yet so maybe that'll change it a bit.
Tones DO sound cleaner and clearer with Dyna-Cabs though.
This has been my experience as well. I like the way Dyna Cabs sound, but it took some getting used to. My typical go to IR is an Ownhammer Marshall 1960BV cab (V30 speakers). Closest cab is the Friedman 412 w/ v30 speakers. I can get them tonally similar, but the DC is superior, and has more presence, for lack of a better word. I found the easiest way was to use the looper to play a min or so of audio, while I dragged the blue dot mic indicator around until I got what I wanted, and A/B comparing them as two different channels in the same cab block. Also, where I used to prefer a SM57/R121 blend on 2 cabs, I'm now gravitating to just using one cab and mic (condenser). It has more punch this way imo.

This has been my experience as well. I like the way Dyna Cabs sound, but it took some getting used to. My typical go to IR is an Ownhammer Marshall 1960BV cab (V30 speakers). Closest cab is the Friedman 412 w/ v30 speakers. I can get them tonally similar, but the DC is superior, and has more presence, for lack of a better word. I found the easiest way was to use the looper to play a min or so of audio, while I dragged the blue dot mic indicator around until I got what I wanted, and A/B comparing them as two different channels in the same cab block. Also, where I used to prefer a SM57/R121 blend on 2 cabs, I'm now gravitating to just using one cab and mic (condenser). It has more punch this way imo.
I've usually leaned toward Ownhammer IR's and mostly 57-05 or OH1-05. But even the 57-05 IR alone is darker than anything I can get with Dyna-Cab dynamic 1 or 2. It takes the ribbon alone for me to get close to my original presets.
Not a bad thing at all. I would assume that Dyna-cabs are a more accurate representation of the real life counterpart.
I wasn't gonna install this week since I have a few gigs in the next couple weeks but curiosity got the best of me. I think my approach is going to be simply creating a few new presets and trying them at gig volume because I think the amps tone controls are going to need moved a bit.... then maybe over time, start replacing my cab block with a close DC version.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom