FM9 Firmware Version 5.00 public beta (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an older, computer not so bright person, I am happy to announce I was able to upgrade the 5.0 beta firmware, the new Dyna Cab feature, and the new FM9-EDIT. Zero issues, everything I have tried works flawlessly.

The new DynaCab feature is a hoot. With my little tweaking it sounded great.

The new Revv amps are not my cup of tea, though I had some fun with the Gen Green 1. But not complaining, I have more amps already than I need in this box and am thankful. I will probably revisit them in the future.

Thanks Fractal team for an amazing product that continues to improve!!!

I will enter this with caution because if there is one thing I refuse to go back to it’s the years of IR unsatisfaction. Couple of years ago I said these are my IRS and if they don’t work then the Amp isn’t for me and I move on to the next one.
ive been trapped in that for what feels like the last 2 years. Ive used 2 or 3 IR's and can never find any others that felt right for my live sound.

I transferred some Axe-FxIII Dyna presets to my FM9 last night without a hitch. I did notice that I couldn't type in the mic position numbers on the Axe-FxIII in the editor but I could on the FM9.

Edit: today I was able to type in the positions of the mic in the editor on the Axe-FxIII. Must've been a little glitch yesterday.

Last edited:
Finally I've been able to try these dynacabs, despite my initial skepticism I have to admit this is a huge improvement both in workflow and in tone. In just a matter of minutes I was able to find settings that surpassed my favourite IRs and this happened easily with almost all of the available cabs, and with some character and clarity that I always missed in most of those aforementioned IRs. I don't know what you did when capturing these but the result is absolutely brilliant! Even when comparing to other dynacab-like plugins there's no game, no phasing and a lot more sweet-spots among the various mic positions.
Kudos to FAS for being, once again, first in class.

PS: I was also worried that I would miss some thump due to the lower sample-length compared to ultrares, but that's not the case at all... maybe the matching impedance curve plays a role there

Are there any updated presets that showcase Dynacabs?
No. There are currently no plans to update the factory presets.

Adding a Dyna-Cab to a preset is very easy. That’s the point of the interface, to simplify finding a cab sound you like. Jump in and experiment and give it a try.

Great! I’m currently on a small tour so I’ve to wait for the official release but I’ve an Axe III and the dyna cab are great!

Does anyone know when the full release is going to be?
Since DynaCabs were introduced to my FM9, I've had a couple full releases.
James Franco Flirt GIF

Just confirming what others have said (to demonstrate that it's a widespread / common bug):

I'm also seeming momentary jumps in knob positions and values for mic position and distance; however the correct values are retained after the UI glitch; so no big deal.

macOS Ventura 13.4.
I'm on Big Sur 11.7.8 with no glitching, regardless if I use the knobs or just move the mic around. Smooooooove........

Just confirming what others have said (to demonstrate that it's a widespread / common bug):

I'm also seeming momentary jumps in knob positions and values for mic position and distance; however the correct values are retained after the UI glitch; so no big deal.

macOS Ventura 13.4.

ARM (MacBook Air M1).
I also had these glitches in FM9 Edit

Big Sur 11.7.8

Not to be a wet blanket, but has anyone heard if our OS will be compatible with Apple Sonoma (the future OS release) in the next few months?

Not to be a wet blanket, but has anyone heard if our OS will be compatible with Apple Sonoma (the future OS release) in the next few months?
By "our OS" do you mean the firmware in the modeler? The modeler only has to be compatible with USB and it's very unlikely Apple is going to change that part of the OS. Only Fractal-Bot and Edit have anything to do with the host computer's OS, and they should be fine too since Apple has a really good track-record of not breaking compatibility.

You can load the OS beta on your Mac and find out and tell us how it worked.

You could use an anechoic chamber, and that would allow long IRs without room reflections, but I imagine anechoic chambers are not commonly available and very difficult to build.
Is not really "a sound" which we're used to. As Cliff mentioned somewhere and as is listed in the Wiki "we record cabs in studios". It would be fun however to do the experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom