FM9 Firmware Version 5.00 public beta (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wowww!! I've tried it on my FM9 and it sounds great. I have also noticed that Dyna-cabs use less CPU than Legacy on my FM9 Turbo. Is this because there are 1024 instead of 2048? I'm very happy though, add some room and 2% air in the cab block and it looks like you have the cab in a room with you.

I might give this one a go then purely because of the big new feature.
Normally I’d wait till things had settled.

I didn't think I'd be into the DynaCab feature since I have a couple favorite IRs, but honestly, to me, it's a game changer. The only thing I noticed so far, and this is super minor and doesn't affect the unit or sound, is that when adjusting the position and distance from FM9 Edit, the knob and numbers flash and seem to move erratically. Maybe this is just the way they work considering the changes are probably like selecting a bunch of IRs with every subtle move? I admit, it's beyond my understanding, but since this is a beta thread I wanted to share just in case. Otherwise, this is a fantastic upgrade.

These betas always seem to come at just the right time for me. I have 10 days before playing again, so I'm gonna give this a shot tonight. Thanks FAS. (Although I was thinking we might see "Added 2nd Pitch Block" in the release notes)

I have installed without issue, and used a preset with my preferred Legacy IRs.. no issue... then copied that preset and changed the cab to DynaCab... was able to reasonably replicate the sound... Spent time "fiddling"... very cool using FM9-Edit to set mic position... The REV amp is great... and have played through the various channels... so far no bugs seen in my quick play through...

I’m curious if there’s a noticeable difference between the 2048 and 1024 sample size with Dyna-Cabs.
a longer ir like 2048 is going to be able to pick up some room reflections so it may sound like there is more depth or lows but the 1024 is more than enough to capture the cabinet character. if you are using ultra res ir you may notice a slight difference at first that it seems a bit dryer or more in your face but you can easily mix in a small amount of verb or room in the cab block . tp smooth though its a bit different but sounds good

I’m curious if there’s a noticeable difference between the 2048 and 1024 sample size with Dyna-Cabs.
Will it be noticeable to some people? Yes. Others, yes and it won't matter. Others, no. There are other ways to create the room ambience you may lose with the sample size, but I would challenge anyone to tell the difference blind in a mix. It would be incredibly difficult. Before deciding that just because it is "less" it is "worse", give it a listen and a play. Compare if you can. If it is a deal breaker for you, you still have ultra-res legacy IRs. No big deal.

a longer ir like 2048 is going to be able to pick up some room reflections so it may sound like there is more depth or lows but the 1024 is more than enough to capture the cabinet character. if you are using ultra res ir you may notice a slight difference at first that it seems a bit dryer or more in your face but you can easily mix in a small amount of verb or room in the cab block . tp smooth though its a bit different but sounds good
There's also the debate as to whether room ambience is desirable. Some claim it is, others claim it is not.

The only thing I noticed so far, and this is super minor and doesn't affect the unit or sound, is that when adjusting the position and distance from FM9 Edit, the knob and numbers flash and seem to move erratically.
I'm seeing similar in the FM9 editor on these same parameters - still seems to work just fine otherwise.

Otherwise, this is a fantastic upgrade.
Indeed, so far so good!!

Just confirming what others have said (to demonstrate that it's a widespread / common bug):

I'm also seeming momentary jumps in knob positions and values for mic position and distance; however the correct values are retained after the UI glitch; so no big deal.

macOS Ventura 13.4.

ARM (MacBook Air M1).

Last edited:
In future updates will it always be a 2 step process of code then cabs? Not complaining just curious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom