FM9 Firmware Version 4.00

Seems odd but I am liking the extra CPU headroom we now seem to have!!

Me too, big time!! My CPU on my main, kitchen-sink preset has dropped ~10% overall, and it seems that the drives take up a lot less CPU in v4 as well.

10% is a significant savings in CPU; I can add another block(s) into my main preset depending on what they are...it's like an instant FM9 Turbo heh.

Me too, big time!! My CPU on my main, kitchen-sink preset has dropped ~10% overall, and it seems that the drives take up a lot less CPU in v4 as well.

10% is a significant savings in CPU; I can add another block(s) into my main preset depending on what they are...it's like an instant FM9 Turbo heh.

I was coming from the Axe 3, got the Turbo but was a bit disappointed with the CPU limit until I realized a 2nd Reverb added virtually nothing to the CPU load and now with this update I can run my Axe 3 patches with very little if any adjustments to the preset.

...and now 2 Ir's instead of 1 actually cuts the CPU load....who'd have thunk it...!

Open the cab block in FM9 edit :

View attachment 112267

Thanks for that...it looks like I have been using all standard Res. Ir's since the switch...I wonder if they just switch to standard if the load is too great... so not sure that was it, the ultra- res uses up 4-5% CPU for me.

...and now it appears as though the original anomaly is not happening anymore the CPU readings are back to expected behaviour...it seems FM9 just needed to catch up with reality...

something I have been trying to do for years....!

I didn't have a chance to fire up the FM9 and computer until tonight, what a great surprise to see the official 4.0! No issues installing and nothing out of the ordinary with my homemade presets, kicking as much ass as before with no tweaking required. BEAUTY

Thanks for that...it looks like I have been using all standard Res. Ir's since the switch...I wonder if they just switch to standard if the load is too great... so not sure that was it, the ultra- res uses up 4-5% CPU for me.

...and now it appears as though the original anomaly is not happening anymore the CPU readings are back to expected behaviour...it seems FM9 just needed to catch up with reality...

something I have been trying to do for years....!
When presets migrate from Axe Fx III they seem to default to Standard even if they were Ultra on the Axe Fx.

I’ve seen the videos on the griddle cake/hot cake drive and I love everything about it. But what exactly is it supposed to be used for? Yes, I will experiment and play around with my ears for what sounds best, but I’m just curious. Is it an overdrive or just a distortion with its own flavor going on?
It’s modeled on the Crowther Hotcake

It’s modeled on the Crowther Hotcake
I know that but Im just curious as to what the Crowther hotcake was/is supposed to be? In comparison to other drives/boosts... Just a different flavor I guess? If I had to make the analogy to ice cream; is it just a different flavor than the Boss Super OD or TS 808? Or is it a totally different dessert dish? :cool::p:tearsofjoy:

I know that but Im just curious as to what the Crowther hotcake was/is supposed to be? In comparison to other drives/boosts... Just a different flavor I guess? If I had to make the analogy to ice cream; is it just a different flavor than the Boss Super OD or TS 808? Or is it a totally different dessert dish? :cool::p:tearsofjoy:
Depends how obsessive and romantic you get about your overdrives. Technically it's just a different flavor.

For me, the Hotcake was a staple for years in my real amp / pedalboard rigs. My preferred use of the HotCake was near the start of the signal chain set to very low gain. It almost doesn't sound like stepping on a pedal, sounds more like you just plugged into a much better amp. I'd turn it up just enough to give the basic amp tone some extra hair, grit and attitude. From there, I'd go into another drive pedal for real distortion, sometimes a TS 808. If I had a Boss Super OD, I'd likely pick that one up and place it in the garbage :)

I've been afraid to ask this, don't wanna get beat up too much, but....
For me, my clean and edge of breakup presets sound clearer, warmer and have better definition on FW3, it seems like the amp modeling changes in FW4 quickly pushes the amps further into hot clipping or crunch mode, without the clarity on FW3 (a little muddy?).

I've been loading each of them, and playing/testing them, I keep alternating between the two to really give each a fair go, I'm leaning toward staying on FW3 for now. Been playing and loving fractal for almost 9 years now, although I may not be an expert, i'm certainly not a novice.

Anyone else out there feeling this way between the two firmware versions?

I've been afraid to ask this, don't wanna get beat up too much, but....
For me, my clean and edge of breakup presets sound clearer, warmer and have better definition on FW3, it seems like the amp modeling changes in FW4 quickly pushes the amps further into hot clipping or crunch mode, without the clarity on FW3 (a little muddy?).

I've been loading each of them, and playing/testing them, I keep alternating between the two to really give each a fair go, I'm leaning toward staying on FW3 for now. Been playing and loving fractal for almost 9 years now, although I may not be an expert, i'm certainly not a novice.

Anyone else out there feeling this way between the two firmware versions?
Have you tried resetting the Amp block and dialing the amp in fresh?

You can always choose to not update even it's not forever, but of course you miss out on other updates.

Personally, I'm not finding that but it might depend on the models we're using.

Did you do reset after firmware in edit?
I had the opposite issue. I had to raise my input levels to tickle the red on the meters. So everything was a little cleaner in 4.0

Did you do reset after firmware in edit?
Just to be clear, assuming no changes were made to the presets, this isn't really relevant.

If you're editing presets, definitely... But otherwise this has no impact on existing presets.

Check the speaker drive
It changed , many using the AX3 had to play w it as cleans were distorting
Check low cut and hi cut
There is a list of about 10 different parameters that changed

Back
Top Bottom