FM9 Firmware Version 4.00

Updated today, and have been enjoying it so far! Thanks guys, only a month or so since getting my FM9 and already a decent firmware upgrade!
Not sure if it is how I've created my presets vs the gift of tone ones, but have noticed that the gift of tones ones are much louder without clipping my output in comparison to my custom ones. Not a big issue (and the gift of tone ones are amazing so far), just interesting and making me think I need to revist my custom presets.

I'm a heavy user of the D30 in my presets and was trying to characterize what I was hearing - it felt like a ton more treble content (but not necessarily 'presence') jumping out and hitting me - almost like a ton more of that "broken glass" tone, especially on single coil neck pickups. I spent a while going through them all and dialing back the ideal High Treble control a bit to take some of the edge off, but I usually try to avoid going to the ideal tab first... Perhaps I need to take another swipe at re-leveling...
Yep! I forgot to mention that. First thing I did was dial back High Treble and Treble.

I tried to update my FM9 on my MacBook Pro 2021 model and it would not update it just crashed my computer?

I tried to update my FM9 on my MacBook Pro 2021 model and it would not update it just crashed my computer?
That's unlikely to be a problem with the firmware.

Are you using standalone FractalBot or the one embedded in the editor?

Are you running the latest version of whichever you're using?

Happily upgraded to v4.0 today. No issues. Playing via USB into my computer sounds great as always. But I also play my FM9 through a Fryette PS2 and a MojoTone 1x12 cabinet with an Eminence Red Coat The Governor speaker. I play classic rock and look for those edge of breakup tones. I always marveled at how great the FM9 sounded with Cab Off and Speaker Impedance Curve set to Resistive Load. Very real/live sounding. But post upgrade to V4.0, things don’t sound as great to my ear. Anyone using the Fractal in a similar way that noticed something similar? Thanks all.

Awesome, thanks!
Happily upgraded to v4.0 today. No issues. Playing via USB into my computer sounds great as always. But I also play my FM9 through a Fryette PS2 and a MojoTone 1x12 cabinet with an Eminence Red Coat The Governor speaker. I play classic rock and look for those edge of breakup tones. I always marveled at how great the FM9 sounded with Cab Off and Speaker Impedance Curve set to Resistive Load. Very real/live sounding. But post upgrade to V4.0, things don’t sound as great to my ear. Anyone using the Fractal in a similar way that noticed something similar? Thanks all.
There were a LOT of changes for instance here is the list

Any one of those new defaults could be the difference you hear
The question is when you say not so good sounding , what does that mean ?
Looser muddy To bright and harsh
If you could describe what is not as good it will be easier for others to help out

following parameters are updated:
Preamp Bias
Transformer LF
Transformer HF
Transformer Drive
Low Cut Freq
Hi Cut Freq
Triode 1 Plate Freq
Triode 2 Plate Freq
Negative Feedback
Power Tube Grid Bias
All Cathode Follower Params
Excursion Time
Recovery Time
MV Cap Value

That's unlikely to be a problem with the firmware.

Are you using standalone FractalBot or the one embedded in the editor?

Are you running the latest version of whichever you're using?
I am using the one in the editor

There were a LOT of changes for instance here is the list

Any one of those new defaults could be the difference you hear
The question is when you say not so good sounding , what does that mean ?
Looser muddy To bright and harsh
If you could describe what is not as good it will be easier for others to help out

following parameters are updated:
Preamp Bias
Transformer LF
Transformer HF
Transformer Drive
Low Cut Freq
Hi Cut Freq
Triode 1 Plate Freq
Triode 2 Plate Freq
Negative Feedback
Power Tube Grid Bias
All Cathode Follower Params
Excursion Time
Recovery Time
MV Cap Value
Thank you for the super-quick response. Of course, tone is subjective, so to me, "not so good sounding" means less real. It's not like it's spiky, or harsh or fizzy. More boxy. Less harmonic complexity than before. Less dynamic when I pick through the strings of my guitar. A few rev's back, when I found an article suggesting the Resistive Load speaker impedance curve, it was a great find and it worked really well for me. The FM9 tone was getting closer to my "real" 6L6 amps. Now, I have to take the Resistive Load off because it has lost the dynamics I had previously. Thanks again.

The issue I had with the beta FW stopping audio from my computer has been corrected with the official release. Everything sounds great.

This. Keyboard amps try to be FRFR, or at least they take a shot at it. Power-amp modeling and cab modeling should probably remain active.
That would explain it for sure!

Curious though about turning off the Power Amp modeling. I'd assume the keyboard amp was solid state it would have been better with Amp modeling enabled.
I was all set to plug it into a Blues Jr., and I gave the Roland a try without changing the settings. My ODS preset sounded really good as-is, so I didn't think to change it. 🤷‍♂️

Updated the FM9T today to v4, created a "Herbie MK3" preset – based on the original "Herbie" preset – that adds the "Herbie MK3" model to the D channel, tweaked and tightened up all 8 scenes for my beloved PRS CE DW guitars. Played and played. Tone is soooo ridiculously delicious. My new favorite.

Thank you Cliff and the whole Fractal extended family (including forum kin!). Firmware 4 takes the FM9T from miracle to miracle++.

Updated the FM9T today to v4, created a "Herbie MK3" preset – based on the original "Herbie" preset – that adds the "Herbie MK3" model to the D channel, tweaked and tightened up all 8 scenes for my beloved PRS CE DW guitars. Played and played. Tone is soooo ridiculously delicious. My new favorite.

Thank you Cliff and the whole Fractal extended family (including forum kin!). Firmware 4 takes the FM9T from miracle to miracle++.
Very cool will have to check out that model
I have the same DW CE I love that guitar the mids just punch

Not a bug...but interesting all the same.
I downloaded ML sound lab's IR and tried them on a patch that I use Leon's LT MES OS V30 mix2 on...
I am running at right around 78% CPU with just Leon's IR but if I add the ML IR 's (so 2 IR's blended and aligned) my CPU goes down to 76%.

Seems odd but I am liking the extra CPU headroom we now seem to have!!

Back
Top Bottom