FM9 Firmware Version 3.00

Lol. It's pretty funny how this "wHeN is BeTa?" happens like clockwork. It's in beta for a reason... because it's not done. We know the deal here, guys. Let it get stable and it should come to the FM9 shortly after. If we get a not yet complete beta, we will no doubt have our fair share of "im going back to the previous firmware for xyz reason" or "why is this not working"?
Some of us would like that choice, you might not, but that doesn't mean someone else thinks like that. I like options, that is why over in the Axe III section they're testing it, those "why is it not working" can help the final product be even more stable. Would be nice to see a Beta for the FM9 i'm ready and able to test.

Just a brief note:

Daring to be bold, my iMac received an upgrade to Ventura 13.0. Likewise my iPhone to iOS 16.1 for compatibility.

FM9 3.0 functions correctly with Ventura 13.0.

Have not performed larger tweaks or rebuilt any presets yet, but smaller volume/output level tweaks have been successful. Will report any additional findings Friday/Saturday this week.

Just a brief note:

Daring to be bold, my iMac received an upgrade to Ventura 13.0. Likewise my iPhone to iOS 16.1 for compatibility.

FM9 3.0 functions correctly with Ventura 13.0.

Have not performed larger tweaks or rebuilt any presets yet, but smaller volume/output level tweaks have been successful. Will report any additional findings Friday/Saturday this week.
Spent some time with FM9-Edit Monday and am happy to report that the current firmware 3.0 works with Mac Ventura OS 13.0. No known firmware glitches or bugs at this writing. YMMV (possibly) based on your OS, hardware, and peripheral connections.

Spent some time with FM9-Edit Monday and am happy to report that the current firmware 3.0 works with Mac Ventura OS 13.0. No known firmware glitches or bugs at this writing. YMMV (possibly) based on your OS, hardware, and peripheral connections.
That’s great to hear. I’ve been reluctant to upgrade just in case…

Question: Would it be hard coding wise (or memory limited) to add one more bank of presets to the FM9? I use Austin Buddy’s awesome Live Gold presets, but would love to keep many of the factory presets PLUS an empty bank for my “playground.”

Just curious if this is something Cliff and team would consider, or if it’s a dumb idea for reasons I’m unaware.

Question: Would it be hard coding wise (or memory limited) to add one more bank of presets to the FM9? I use Austin Buddy’s awesome Live Gold presets, but would love to keep many of the factory presets PLUS an empty bank for my “playground.”

Just curious if this is something Cliff and team would consider, or if it’s a dumb idea for reasons I’m unaware.
Presets require storage. That's not something that can be programmed around...

The amount of onboard storage is fixed on the device.

Presets require storage. That's not something that can be programmed around...

The amount of onboard storage is fixed on the device.
Understood. I guess my assumption is that the ‘data/information’ inside of a preset probably doesn’t take up much storage space. According to my backups, a whole bank is 3.2 MB. So I was wondering if there’s enough ‘spare room’ in the current onboard storage to enable another bank.

If AxeFx II and III have 1024 slots, and FM3 has 512 slots… given that other FM9 elements seem to be about halfway between the two - why are we stuck with FM9 having only 512 slots like the FM3? Perhaps there’s room for something like 640 or 768.

Understood. I guess my assumption is that the ‘data/information’ inside of a preset probably doesn’t take up much storage space. According to my backups, a whole bank is 3.2 MB. So I was wondering if there’s enough ‘spare room’ in the current onboard storage to enable another bank.

If AxeFx II and III have 1024 slots, and FM3 has 512 slots… given that other FM9 elements seem to be about halfway between the two - why are we stuck with FM9 having only 512 slots like the FM3? Perhaps there’s room for something like 640 or 768.
Because that's how much storage it has :)

Because that's how much storage it has :)
Yes I know that wise guy. 😊

I’m wondering - are we REALLY at max storage capacity? (Yes or no?). And if no, is there something else preventing @FractalAudio from considering bumping up the number of presets slots?

Given that FM9 has more DSP than the FM3, can run 2 amp blocks with four channels each (vs. 1 in the FM3), can run 3 drive blocks per preset (vs. 2 in the FM3), etc., then maybe there’s also storage capacity to run hold more presets than the FM3.

Doesn’t seem like a dumb question…

Yes I know that wise guy. 😊

I’m wondering - are we REALLY at max storage capacity? (Yes or no?). And if no, is there something else preventing @FractalAudio from considering bumping up the number of presets slots?

Given that FM9 has more DSP than the FM3, can run 2 amp blocks with four channels each (vs. 1 in the FM3), can run 3 drive blocks per preset (vs. 2 in the FM3), etc., then maybe there’s also storage capacity to run hold more presets than the FM3.

Doesn’t seem like a dumb question…
I'll wait to see if Cliff responds but I'm not trying to be a smartass... There have been other threads asking for more preset storage, on the FM9 and the other platforms.

Also, the number of particular blocks allowed is more about CPU and processing than storage.

I'll wait to see if Cliff responds but I'm not trying to be a smartass... There have been other threads asking for more preset storage, on the FM9 and the other platforms.

Also, the number of particular blocks allowed is more about CPU and processing than storage.
Ok got it. Thanks. I’m relatively knew here and to the fractal family but I should’ve realized it may have been asked a few times and done a search. My bad. Thank you.

The CPU capability has nothing to do with the amount of storage. The FM9 can run two amp blocks or three drives because it has 2x the CPU power compared to the FM3, but it has the same amount of preset memory.

The FM units are more limited than the FX3, but then again they don't cost as much. Less money means something had to give, so they have smaller processors and preset space.

It's not a dumb idea. It can be done, but it wouldn't be a simple change. There is a lot of unused space in the average preset with unused channels and that space could be reclaimed by more efficiently managing those channels. Again, it's not a simple change, but it could be done.

However, adding more on-board presets would IMHO be a poor usage of any extra space that is added to the device. It's hard enough to manage the current long flat list of presets. Adding more presets would just exacerbate the situation. If you've got hundreds of presets you need access to, store them on your computer and access them using the "manage presets" browser. It's a simple browser, but it's better than trying to manage hundreds of presets in the device.

IMHO a better usage of any extra space that ever becomes available would be things like preset notes or more extensive set lists or any of the many other feature requests that have been turned down due to lack of device storage.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom