FM9 Firmware Version 2.0 public beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that an SE? Wow.
How are the pickups?
Yeah, I literally checked the headstock twice the night I found it because I couldn’t believe it. I went to Guitar Center to play a Taylor for a 2nd time because I was sure I was going to get it, this caught my eye as I walked past it and I couldn’t believe the top, figured it’s was a higher end model and checked the headstock. Nope! Took it down to play it and immediately checked the headstock again because it was perfect. I‘ve never played a guitar off the shelf that felt like that. If I used 9’s, I wouldn’t have touched the setup at all. Even better, the intonation was dead on when I got it home. It took me all of 15 minutes to string it with 10’s, make some tiny adjustments and it just plays great.
That's lovely. While I'd prefer a toggle, a semi-hollow w/ trem bar has been on my radar for quite a while. Is that an SE?
I’d prefer a toggle as well and the controls are my only complaint about the guitar. I switch pickups a lot when I play, having to reach down, over the volume knob and over the whammy bar I can’t access it nearly as fast as I’d prefer. I‘d take the Ibanez JPM switching setup on every guitar I owned but Strats, if I could.
There are soooooo many fun things you can do with a lever switch. If this has the pull switch for coil cut on the tone pot, it'd be a cinch to rewire it like the US Custom 24 or a number of other fun setups....
Indeed. It does have a coil tap on the tone knob and it sounds more like a Strat than my Strat does. Huge range of tones in it stock, but I figured I‘d play with it a bit, since it was just a 3-way switch. I’m a big fan of Mad Hatter’s solderless kits; I hate soldering pickups and they come with tons of options. I put their 4/25 setup in it, It‘s a 5 way switch and I asked for a push/push for the tone knob. Pulling it up was a bit cumbersome, the push/push just lets me smack it and I’m good.

From their website-

When the 4/25 P/P Tone Pot is engaged it not only splits the humbuckers, but it also changes the value of the volume pot from 500k to 250k.

In standard mode (500K) the switch positions will be as follows:

Position 1 - Bridge Pickup Full Humbucker
Position 2 - Bridge & Neck Pickup Single Coils Towards Bridge (hum-cancelling)
Position 3 - Bridge & Neck Pickups Full Humbucker
Position 4 - Bridge & Neck Pickup Single Coils Towards Neck (hum-cancelling)
Position 5 - Neck Pickup Full Humbucker

In Transformed Mode (250K) with the 4/25 P/P Pot engaged the switch positions will be as follows:

Position 1 - Bridge Pickup Split
Position 2 - Bridge & Neck Pickup Single Coils Towards Bridge (hum-cancelling)
Position 3 - Bridge & Neck Pickups Split Inner Coils
Position 4 - Bridge & Neck Pickup Single Coils Towards Neck (hum-cancelling)
Position 5 - Neck Pickup Split

There’s really nothing this thing can’t do and a lot of times where I’d just roll the volume knob down previously, I just hit the coil tap and I’m good to go, usually getting me closer to what I was going for.

Indeed. It does have a coil tap on the tone knob and it sounds more like a Strat than my Strat does. Huge range of tones in it stock, but I figured I‘d play with it a bit, since it was just a 3-way switch.

When I got my SE 24 Standard a couple years ago, I was bothered by the knobs saying 8 when full up because they were lined up so 10 was up when the guitar was perfectly horizontal, as opposed to when in a normal playing position. I got a couple spoons, and carefully removed the volume pot knob and repositioned it. Tried the same with the tone knob, and the shaft pulled right out of it. Those knobs were TIGHT. So for a little while I had no coil splits, just the lever switch. Used a couple nice reflector-top knobs from StewMac to dress it up, as now I was short a knob. Decided to do series/parallel switches, as the 85/15S pickups have all 4 wires and ground, so it was always hum cancelling. Turned out great. Eventually got another pull-switch pot and set it up as a phase switch. Lots of nice sounds in this guitar....
IMG_20220227_002542.jpg

The 2.0 beta on page 1 of this thread is still the only beta released for public trials, correct?

Yep. Today is the 6 month anniversary of the firmware 1.0 release without a single official release since. I don’t think I’ve seen another FAS product without an update for that long before (I could be wrong since I only started paying attention in 2019). It will be ready when it is ready.

Yep. Today is the 6 month anniversary of the firmware 1.0 release without a single official release since. I don’t think I’ve seen another FAS product without an update for that long before (I could be wrong since I only started paying attention in 2019). It will be ready when it is ready.
I’m not being impatient, I swear. I just decided I’d go ahead and try the beta and wanted to make sure I was getting the right thing. Here goes nothing…

I choose to think of it this way: those few of us lucky enough to have one to be waiting on a FW update are way ahead of the many who want an FM9 and can't get one at all.

I suspect that the FM9 is probably currently lowest priority just based on number of units in the wild versus the Axe Fx III and FM3...

I have to agree that sometimes a PRS can be a little like a guy wearing them jeans with the bedazzled backpockets. Trying
way too hard. :)

Or a pretty lady that just can't help but wear a little too much makeup.

View attachment 97078
That may be your viewpoint, which I prefer to not disagree with. There is truth in modesty, and overdoing it in anything can't really be that good for anyone.

Anything worth doing at all is worth overdoing, if it brings even a glimmer of joy to a brief part of this wretched existence. Don't waste your existence living to suit others' judgemental expectations....
Lord, possibly. I meant not drinking yourself into oblivion or smoking fentanyl-laced weed. That kind of excess. TBH, I tend to overdo it when it involves my work ethic, which is mostly grub work. But then again, I'm am old geezer who thinks Rice Krispy Treats are decent substitutes for real cookies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom