FM9-Edit 1.02.04

Right - so while the symptoms are the same, the source of the symptoms doesn't appear to be the same as my case.

Did you try rebooting your computer? Maybe some ghost process holding a lock of some sort?

I have rebooted several times. Next steps I guess will be to swap out USB cable, even though the current one is working with the standalone FractalBot. If that doesn't help, I will reapply the 5.0 firmware update. Surprised no one else is reporting this issue. Lucky me.

Just tried a shorter USB cable on a different Windows 10 laptop and although the embedded FractalBot comes up more reliably, it still comes up with the same no MIDI, no Recieve Mode issue intermittently.

embedded FractalBot can't select ports or go to Receive Mode tab.
The embedded FractalBot came up with the same issues (can't select MIDI, can't click on 'Receive Mode')
The embedded Fractal-Bot doesn't have the ability to select ports or MIDI or switch between alternate devices. It only works with the same unit that its hosting Edit application is connected to.

This is from the Axe-Edit III v.1.02.00 release notes when Fractal-Bot was first embedded…
* Incorporated Fractal-Bot version 3.0.2 as a pop-up dialog within the editor. This internal version of Fractal-Bot is accessed from the Tools menu. The Fractal-Bot dialog only allows connections to the Axe-Fx III. Please use the standalone version of Fractal-Bot for connectivity with the other supported Fractal Audio Systems devices. The main editor's communications are paused while the Fractal-Bot dialog is displayed.

FM9-Edit and FM3-Edit inherited from there.

That you can't switch to the Receive Mode tab is something different. Clicking Receive Mode won't switch and then highlight? (The UI doesn't have as polished behavior as I'd like to see but it functions correctly on my macOS systems.)

... Clicking Receive Mode won't switch and then highlight? (The UI doesn't have as polished behavior as I'd like to see but it functions correctly on my macOS systems.)

Thanks for the info. The embedded FractalBot acts as if it is in some kind of semi-hung state. The button for 'Receive Mode' is unresponsive and will not switch and highlight. The pulldowns for the MIDI input/output are also unresponsive and will not show options or allow a selection. But only on the embedded version of FractalBot. Standalone works properly. Sometimes repeatedly opening and closing the embedded FractalBot will get it to come up properly. The screen for the embedded Fractalbot in this hung state appears exactly as the one that @unix-guy posted earlier in this topic.

Seeing this behavior across two computers and USB cables now, although it is markedly worse on my Windows 11 PC than my Windows 10 laptop, inclines me to think it is a problem with the editor or firmware since it seems to be recent behavior. Don't remember this happening before upgrading to the new editor version and the 5.0 firmware. (don't remember the 5.0 beta firmware version doing this either). Guess I will reapply the firmware and see if the issue persists.

Last edited:
Ok, I need to amend my earlier comments a bit.

I seem to be getting different behavior depending on being connected to FM9 Turbo vs FM9 standard.

When using embedded FractalBot on the standard FM9 it works. On the Turbo, I also can NOT select the device or get to the Receive tab.

@Greg Ferguson - in the embedded version (when it's working) you can't select a different device BUT you can click the drop-down and select FM9 which will then populate the Ports settings.

So, when I reported that everything was working for me, it was - but that was on the non-Turbo FM9.

There is definitely something strange going on.

Note that I was still able to update firmware and DynaCabs on the Turbo with embedded FractalBot.

The embedded Fractal-Bot has never allowed for the selecting of MIDI ports. The embedded Fractal-Bot is a panel of the currently running editor and uses the MIDI ports assigned in the editor's Preferences dialog.

The embedded Fractal-Bot has never allowed for the selecting of MIDI ports. The embedded Fractal-Bot is a panel of the currently running editor and uses the MIDI ports assigned in the editor's Preferences dialog.
But you can select the Device (which doesn't really make sense given what you said) and you can't get to the Receive tab - at least, I can't on my FM9 Turbo.

Thanks for the additional details. Fantastic to see an FAS Software Engineer respond on the forum!

Creating backups, at least on my FM9, has become a hit or miss operation from within the editor, with embedded FractalBot coming up fully operational sometimes, and often not. I have the same issue, can't get to the 'Receive Mode' tab, no MIDI connections showing. External FractalBot works fine in the interim though.

Hoping the next firmware release resolves the issue. At least for what appears to be the few users impacted by it. Haven't seen as many posts on this as I would have expected if it were a widespread issue.

Back
Top Bottom