April 15, 2022

Current FM9 Firmware Version: 2.01

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
  • Mac version requires OS version 10.7 or newer
  • Windows version requires Windows 7 or newer
  • Minimum firmware version 1.00

NEW IN THIS VERSION

* Support for firmware 2.01
o Relabeled the header "A/D INPUT LEVELS" to "A/D SENSITIVITY" on the SETUP "Input Levels" page.

On thing I noticed today... I was importing some FM3-created presets into the FM9, using the preset manager browser window.

I imported an entire bank and everything copied over/saved fine, BUT at the start of the bank I got a lot of audible pops and high beeps as the FM9 preset manager saved preset by preset about 30 presets or so, then after about 30 it stopped doing that and the rest of the bank was quiet.

I found that noteworthy because it does not happen when doing a similar preset manager import procedure on the other units (FM3, III), so i thought I'd flag here and if anyone else has this issue please confirm.

FYI @Michael Pickens

On thing I noticed today... I was importing some FM3-created presets into the FM9, using the preset manager browser window.

I imported an entire bank and everything copied over/saved fine, BUT at the start of the bank I got a lot of audible pops and high beeps as the FM9 preset manager saved preset by preset about 30 presets or so, then after about 30 it stopped doing that and the rest of the bank was quiet.

I found that noteworthy because it does not happen when doing a similar preset manager import procedure on the other units (FM3, III), so i thought I'd flag here and if anyone else has this issue please confirm.

FYI @Michael Pickens
Same issue here.

FYI @Michael Pickens

Delay ms time bug - values cut in half (again?) when converting presets from FM3 to FM9...

Another thing I noticed tonight.... I am aware of the older known delay bug that cuts a ms delay time value in half from a delay value in the Axe-FX III when importing a preset over into to FM3.

Today I manually fixed all of those halved delay ms values (i.e, I doubled the imported preset FM3 delay values, to match the III original ones) for a full bank of presets.

But when I next ported the saved, corrected delay value FM3 presets in a saved bank over to the FM9 with preset manager, weirdly the "half" delay time values reappeared in FM9 conversion (reverted like it was on FM3 BEFORE I fixed them and saved them).

Why would that be? I would think a preset's saved FM3 delay preset ms (not tied to tap tempo, also most of these are the mono tape delay) should/would be the exact same values when brought in preset manager into the FM9.

But something in the preset manager's port/conversion process for specific, set millisecond delay block in a preset from the FM3 to the FM9 is cutting them back in half again - should not happen.

Meaning, a saved FM9 mono tape block with delay value set to 222 will import when using preset manager as a value of 111ms (half).

Can others confirm this issue/bug?

FYI @Michael Pickens

Last edited:
When I tried converting patches over even in firmware 1, I had the same issue. In all the delay blocks, the master time was set to 25%, so all the delays were slapback sounding. I had to change that to 100% and then the delay times were accurate. I also had to change all the A,B,C,D banks too or else you get that glitchy sound change from preset to preset

Last edited:
When I tried converting patches over even in firmware 1, I had the same issue. In all the delay blocks, the master time was set to 25%, so all the delays were slapback sounding. I had to change that to 100% and then the delay times were accurate. I also had to change all the A,B,C,D banks too or else you get that glitchy sound change from preset to preset
I remember that Master feedback bug too, but the mono tape delays I had didn’t have that Master feedback parameter.

I checked some other presets I ported over from the Axe-Fx III ( some Naked Amps) and the master feedback is at 100% and the millisecond values are corrrect/ as it should be.

So -- coming from the III to the FM9, no issues on delay front. It appears it's just just coming from the FM3 to the FM9, for presets made originally on FM3 fw 4 (but now saved under fw5) and then ported to FM9 in the new fw 2 using PRESET MANAGER to convert/import.

BTW! A great trick and feature that can help - @yek has posted about this -- is to "fix" the broken/incorrect parameter, such as your reported old master Feedback at 25% not 100%, can be done as a batch across a lot of presets at once.

Go to Master Feedback (or whatever parameter that needs ot be fixed), fixt to correct value, then hold both CMD+SHFT ( am on a Mac) and right click.

This window opens up (see screen shot). It lets you then reset that parameter across a range of ABCD in blocks AND across a range of presets you select - a full bank, less than, that, your whole unit, etc.

Very handy. For example, I can use it to reset Cab block res from Standard in FM9 to Ultra Res for all presets with one command/action and let
it work. Very cool and useful!

Screen Shot 2022-04-17 at 12.33.23 PM.png

I have discovered one problem with Preset Manager in the FM9 on importing presets tonight. W

Then importing presets from the III over to FM9 using Preset Manager, the editor does NOT preserve the "Cs by Scene" controllers from the original preset.

For example, all my Naked Amps presets have CS switches and most are set off. Tonight I discovered every ported Naked Amps preset to the FM9 now has the value "Last" rather than the original value of "Off". This is not true to the original preset and can cause some problems for users how may be coming over form another preset that had a controller ON.

I can manually reset everything back to "off" (and likely will) but am reporting this four future fix?

If someone has saved a lot of custom Control switches On/Off for a III preset, then when importing to the FM9 the editor should preserve all those original saved "Cs by Scene" choices.

The first screen shot is what the III preset had for CS by Scene, and then the second is what FM9-Edit showed for CS By Scene after using Preset Manager to port the preset over. You can see it did not keep any of it from original preset, and reset everything to "last."

So you guys porting presets, beware.

For the next update maybe? Thanks @Michael Pickens @Admin M@

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 9.49.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-10 at 9.50.04 PM.png

Last edited:
I've noticed way more discrepancies, the problem is that they happen randomly, not on all presets
  • on most presets the reverb settings are fine, but on some they're totally different - I always put my reverb on parallel with the mix on 100 ; in some presets the mix was on 20, with the wrong model selected, and I was wondering why the preset level was too high before checking that block
  • synth block : shift on 24 instead of 0 in all channels
  • pitch block : on a preset using custom shifter, the mode was on "diatonic echoes" (no channel was set this way in the Axe III version) ; mix on 50% instead of 100% in some cases
  • PEQ block : in some presets, completely flat (default settings) instead of all the tweaks I made
  • some blocks (multiband compression, volume used for swell in specific scenes only) activated in all scenes instead of bypass
  • Multiplexer block defaults on channel 1/row 1 in all presets
  • some other blocks are bypassed when they should be active
all of these happened with presets saved with firmware 18.03 or 19.xx on the Axe-Fx III

Last edited:
I've noticed way more discrepancies, the problem is that they happen randomly, not on all presets
  • on most presets the reverb settings are fine, but on some they're totally different - I always put my reverb on parallel with the mix on 100 ; in some presets the mix was on 20, with the wrong model selected, and I was wondering why the preset level was too high before checking that block
  • synth block : shift on 24 instead of 0 in all channels
  • pitch block : on a preset using custom shifter, the mode was on "diatonic echoes" (no channel was set this way in the Axe III version) ; mix on 50% instead of 100% in some cases
  • PEQ block : in some presets, completely flat (default settings) instead of all the tweaks I made
  • some blocks (multiband compression, volume used for swell in specific scenes only) activated in all scenes instead of bypass
  • Multiplexer block defaults on channel 1/row 1 in all presets
  • some other blocks are bypassed when they should be active
all of these happened with presets saved with firmware 18.03 or 19.xx on the Axe-Fx III
I also had a few presets imported that were missing and Out2 or Out3 block. Maybe 10% of the 256 presets I ported over. I just added those back in manually, but something to add to Fremen’s notes above.

Back
Top Bottom