FM9 Case?

I agree about the Studio Slips bags. I got the FM3 case with the "double" padding, and I don't think it provides much protection. I would hate to see their normal padding. I like to support American products, but that one is a major disappointment.
I have the FM9 and FM3 deluxe double padded bags. The fit is fantastic, but I agree about the padding. I would truly hate to see single if this is double. The problem is that there aren’t any other purpose made bags for these units out there. The best I’ve come across for the FM9 is the Helix Backpack, even if I do have to roll up a towel in there to keep it from sliding around.

Those "bags" do not offer much protection. I have owned 5 Studio Slips products.
The SKB is way more protective. And costs less.
Studio Slips are built like shipping blankets. Shipping blankets are intended to prevent dents and scratches on things that are already rugged. The screens and knobs on the FM9 don't fit that description.

Studio Slips bags are great for things like speaker cabs. For electronic gear, not so much.

Last edited:
@Reet - I did a slight variation because of having an EV-1 in there as well. Used 1 1/2 foam on part of the lid. The pedal was in the way of closing, so I used 1.5" foam behind the unit to keep it from sliding and 1.5" and the std foam it came with for the top. I added a little behind the EV-1 to keep that from sliding.

I used to use a folding hand cart and with the build in wheels, I won't need that. Granted, it probably won't fit everything I need to bring, but it will keep the unit safe during transport.
Wish this case was just a little longer to fit my pedalboard with the expression pedal setup and plugged in with the FM9

Studious slips are built like shipping blankets. Shipping blankets are intended to prevent dents and scratches on things that are already rugged. The screens and knobs on the FM9 don't fit that description.

Studio Slips bags are great for things like speaker cabs. For electronic gear, not so much.
Shipping blanket is a perfect description. I definitely won't be taking my FM3 to gigs in my Studio Slips case.

If you have the money the gator helix case is the best if you gig a lot.
Very protective and easy rolling with build in wheels.
Just a little foam to fill in the gaps.
https://www.zzounds.com/item--GATGH...-z5pSPlDSTDljT8ftO687HBW-oTnnKfgaAvf-EALw_wcB
Oddly, I found it to be not a great fit for my Helix. Not even room for the power cable with that unit. And the unit kinda flopped around in there. I did put my FM9 in it just for giggles but I didn’t feel comfortable carrying it around in that case given the lack of good padding and the fit. I ended up sending it right back.

Oddly, I found it to be not a great fit for my Helix. Not even room for the power cable with that unit. And the unit kinda flopped around in there. I did put my FM9 in it just for giggles but I didn’t feel comfortable carrying it around in that case given the lack of good padding and the fit. I ended up sending it right back.

I felt the same way about the factory padding when i got mine. I found padding on amazon that you can get in many different thicknesses. They're 12x12 inch squares and the case was 24x24 so two of them fit perfectly into the case for me. I used 2 inch thick high density foam (trimmed to fit) around the fm9 and a more gentle 1.5 inch foam in the top. It fits super snug and i've been taking it out for over a year now every week.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240728_204542_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240728_204542_Gallery.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
I felt the same way about the factory padding when i got mine. I found padding on amazon that you can get in many different thicknesses. They're 12x12 inch squares and the case was 24x24 so two of them fit perfectly into the case for me. I used 2 inch thick high density foam (trimmed to fit) around the fm9 and a more gentle 1.5 inch foam in the top. It fits super snug and i've been taking it out for over a year now every week.
What about an expression pedal and cables? That looks snug enough for the unit itself but those aren't the only things I need to bring with it.

I have room in my guitar case for that stuff so i centered my fm9 inside my case. Before installing my foam i could put the fm9, ev-2 (sideways) and cables up above the fm9. So to answer your question: no not with the foam i installed.

It appears to have been discontinued, but it's still a pretty great (and cheap) bag if you can find it.

Boss L2 Bag > https://www.amazon.com/Boss-Carrying-Bag-GT-8-RC-300-Bag-L2/dp/B0010CXUHW

I think I paid $39.99 for it a couple years ago, and it's been just the right size for me and has held up well.

It fits, FM9, plus two 30' XLR cables, a 15' IEC power cable, two 15 foot guitar cables, one Line6 G10S wireless system, a legal pad, and a humongous DB Instruments 4E dual-axis expression pedal.

It was a cheap alternative to the studio slips. I maybe wouldn't recommend a bag if you're going to toss it in the back of a van with other gear piled on top of it. But I drive myself to most of my gigs, and it's been great.

/////

Does anyone use a dual-guitar gigbag? I have a pretty tough Gator double gigbag. I normally use it to carry two guitars. But since I can't even remember the las time I broke a string, I've debated whether I want to carry the FM9 in the second compartment. Anyone else try something similar? I'd better knock on wood before I jinx myself, lol.

It appears to have been discontinued, but it's still a pretty great (and cheap) bag if you can find it.

Boss L2 Bag > https://www.amazon.com/Boss-Carrying-Bag-GT-8-RC-300-Bag-L2/dp/B0010CXUHW

I think I paid $39.99 for it a couple years ago, and it's been just the right size for me and has held up well.

It fits, FM9, plus two 30' XLR cables, a 15' IEC power cable, two 15 foot guitar cables, one Line6 G10S wireless system, a legal pad, and a humongous DB Instruments 4E dual-axis expression pedal.

It was a cheap alternative to the studio slips. I maybe wouldn't recommend a bag if you're going to toss it in the back of a van with other gear piled on top of it. But I drive myself to most of my gigs, and it's been great.

/////

Does anyone use a dual-guitar gigbag? I have a pretty tough Gator double gigbag. I normally use it to carry two guitars. But since I can't even remember the las time I broke a string, I've debated whether I want to carry the FM9 in the second compartment. Anyone else try something similar? I'd better knock on wood before I jinx myself, lol.
Agreed on this Boss Case. I have one and used it with the FM9 until I picked up the G66 FM9 bag. I gig 2-4 times monthly with that bag. The Boss one is actually a bit better, but it's not a Fractal bag...

A bit off topic, but can I ask which Mission expression pedal that is? Everything I've seen in terms of SP-1 or EP-1 is 9.9" long and the one in your photo looks to be about the same depth as your FM9. I'd like to use a Rockboard TRES 3.3, which fits the FM9 depth perfectly, but the Mission SP-1 or EP-1 both hang over the edge by about an inch. Thanks ( :

Try this case from Newark and there is a youtube video on FM9 cases. I've had no problems with mine. there's enough room to put pedals and cables on the bottom layer and the the FM9 on the top layer. Can't beat the price either.

https://www.newark.com/multicomp-pr...-polymer-black/dp/83X6735#anchorTechnicalDOCS
For reference that is also available in the UK via Farnell (part of the same group) - https://uk.farnell.com/duratool/22-24155/waterproof-case-28-x16-5-x7-black/dp/3253329

A bit off topic, but can I ask which Mission expression pedal that is? Everything I've seen in terms of SP-1 or EP-1 is 9.9" long and the one in your photo looks to be about the same depth as your FM9. I'd like to use a Rockboard TRES 3.3, which fits the FM9 depth perfectly, but the Mission SP-1 or EP-1 both hang over the edge by about an inch. Thanks ( :
It's a mission EP-1. But I've since switched to a Fractal EV-1

Such a bummer that the Apache 5800 just barely doesn't fit the FM9.
I have several for other stuff. They and the 9800 (yeah, no wheels) are both solid af, and you can't beat the price, esp. compared to Pelican.
So the apache 5800 doesn't really work for the FM9?

Back
Top Bottom