FM9 as pedalboard question

Here's a little video of what I'm hearing - wish I could figure it out.

This video confuses me. You say "so this is what I hear as soon as I plug the FM9 into power."

You pan the camera away from the FM9 and say "as soon as I power it on, the FM9..." and I hear a click. Is that you flipping the switch on the FM9? Or plugging the FM9 into the wall? Or flipping the switch on a conditioner?

And then when you say you unplug it from the wall it sounds like another click.

Although - if you read his post closely he says only effects loop - whereas I'm going into the front (though I hear the noise with both) and he says it's dead silent when hooked up to a cab - and that's where I hear it. He also says it's quiet and to me it's very loud.
You are right. That’s why I mentioned the comments where people talk about using pedals.

This video confuses me. You say "so this is what I hear as soon as I plug the FM9 into power."

You pan the camera away from the FM9 and say "as soon as I power it on, the FM9..." and I hear a click. Is that you flipping the switch on the FM9? Or plugging the FM9 into the wall? Or flipping the switch on a conditioner?

And then when you say you unplug it from the wall it sounds like another click.
It's (FM9) already plugged up to power but not switched on - the click you hear is me stepping on the amp channel switcher - I have one channel with the volume down and one up so I can silence it.

The second is just me physically unplugging the FM9 from the wall.

So, I'm curious... By now you should have heard something from support. What have they said?
They just said buy a (humbuster) cable basically. I'm not going to - I know what that scenario sounds like and this isn't it. I shouldn't have to buy special cables to make this work when other gear works fine.

So my friend brought over his HX Effects - it worked just fine. So I've verified with 2 other devices there is no noise VS when I'm using the FM9.

I wish I could verify with another amp but the 2 I have are all I can do. I think I'm done here - out of ideas.

it's probably something unique to this setup for whatever reason. the FM9 doesn't do this typically.

use what works for you thumbs

Now that you added the video to your support ticket, I can say that the recommendation of a Humbuster cable would not have been the first suggestion. You said in support that it sounds great direct, but you're getting this same level of noise when you connect it to the amp in the video OR a second amp ("the Katana"). Is that correct? This is definitely not a type of noise that I've ever heard with the FM9 or any other Fractal Audio product in front of an amp.

I'll personally respond to your support ticket and we can continue the conversation there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom