FM9 as Audio Interface - Buffer Size

Hi everyone,
I've been using the FM9 as an audio interface while working on Reaper, and I'm absolutely loving it. The versatility is insane with how easy it is to reamp tracks.

Recently though I've been working on some songs that contain large-ish amounts of tracks (30 to 60 tracks), and I'm having some performance issues.
In particular, even though my CPU usage never goes above 5% and RAM usage never goes above 40%, I am experiencing glitching and crackling noises while working on my projects.
Since Reaper's performance monitor indicates that everything should be working great, I believe this is due to the buffer size on the FM9 being set as 32.

Right now I constantly need to turn off effects/tracks in my DAW to make up for the small buffer size, but it would be really useful to just be able to temporarily bring it up to 512 to be able to listen to a full mix/master. Is there a way to do this? Or do I have to buy an audio interface to use on the side?

Assuming you’re monitoring direct and only recording your FM9, there’s no reason not turn up your audio buffer size in Reaper to the larger value. In other words, in that situation there is no need to use a small buffer size like 32.

OTOH it sounds like your computer might be underpowered for what you want to do with it.

Assuming you’re monitoring direct and only recording your FM9, there’s no reason not turn up your audio buffer size in Reaper to the larger value. In other words, in that situation there is no need to use a small buffer size like 32.

OTOH it sounds like your computer might be underpowered for what you want to do with it.
Thank you for the reply!
I'm using my FM9 as my only audio interface, I am currently monitoring and recording through it.
My PC has an intel i710700k overclocked CPU and 32Gb of ram so I highly doubt it's underpowered for the job.

Anyway I'm sorry for the post, I'm just stupid, I assumed I had to change the setting manually on the FM9 (and could not find the setting), but I can straight up do it from Reaper. Now everything is working smooth as butter!

If you want to change the buffer size you can also find the setting by opening the FM9 USB widget/applet located on the Taskbar - assuming that you're on Windows. If you're on a Mac someone else will have to guide you on where to find the FM9 USB widget.

Back
Top Bottom