FM3 with SoloDallas IR's at Wacken, 2022

onebaldbloke

Inspired
My band at Wacken, 2022.

The mix is not our Australian sound engineer's; it's from the German OB van, so is not, understandably, what we might prefer. Also, as far as I can hear, there is little or no "air" in terms of audience mic's. Bugger about that.

Me playing regular tuning rhythm in the right channel (I hope....), Fractal FM3 with SoloDallas, very, to my ears, "Australian sounding" (maybe more on that in a separate thread) IR's, Mick Arnold on slide in the left with yet another fricken "hit or miss" fricken hire Marshall, via an Australia low gain pedal made by MI Audio.

The only link I currently have is via Facebook, I'm sorry.

Cheers,
Bob.

Last edited:
My band at Wacken, 2022.

The mix is not our Australian sound engineer's; it's from the German OB van, so is not, understandably, what we might prefer. Also, as far as I can hear, there is little or no "air" in terms of audience mic's. Bugger about that.

Me playing regular tuning rhythm in the right channel (I hope....), Fractal FM3 with SoloDallas, very, to my ears, "Australian sounding" (obviously not a real term - maybe more on that in a separate thread) IR's, Mick Arnold on slide in the left with yet another fricken "hit or miss" fricken hire Marshall, via an Australia low gain pedal made by MI Audio.

Cheers,
Bob.

Don't suppose there's a version of this that doesn't need the Facebook SDK to play it is there?

Sounds great. I think I hear what you mean by "Australian sounding". It's wickedly raw and rock.

Sounds great. I think I hear what you mean by "Australian sounding". It's wickedly raw and rock.
Thank you.

I think, in very broad brush strokes, that we have tended to go with more mids than others (there's a long history pre that well known mob, ACDC). Maybe also a bit cleaner. This goes back to the 60s (note that I didn't start gigging until 1971). Of course, none of this is set in stone!

I'll add here that SoloDallas have shot IR's of how we actually recorded in the 70s. Due mainly to a lack of room (and almost non-existent Australian budgets.......), we often put our speaker boxes facing into a dead/carpeted wall at very close range, or facing into a sound absorber, and the mic was placed in that little area, so the back of mic picked up weird/shitty/friendly reflections from the wall/gobo as well as from the front which faced the speaker box. Very, very different from the direct sound of a speaker (in a box) placed in a nice, open and expensive room. I blend these "odd sounding ones" ones with the "direct" ones. That's the sound I grew up with and which I still prefer. Until SoloDallas, I had not come across these (I am not suggesting that they do not exist, only that I haven't heard them), so I am very, VERY grateful.

I'll add here that SoloDallas have shot IR's of how we actually recorded in the 70s. Due mainly to a lack of room (and almost non-existent Australian budgets.......), we often put our speaker boxes facing into a dead/carpeted wall at very close range, or facing into a sound absorber, and the mic was placed in that little area, so the back of mic picked up weird/shitty/friendly reflections from the wall/gobo as well as from the front which faced the speaker box. Very, very different from the direct sound of a speaker (in a box) placed in a nice, open and expensive room. I blend these "odd sounding ones" ones with the "direct" ones. That's the sound I grew up with and which I still prefer. Until SoloDallas, I had not come across these (I am not suggesting that they do not exist, only that I haven't heard them), so I am very, VERY grateful.
This is fascinating. I read an interview with Warren Haynes once where he said that the huge tones he was getting on the latest Gov't Mule album were thanks to producer Gordie Johnson setting up the mic'ing as: Cab -> mic -> big sheet of plywood. So the mic was in this plywood sheet, cabinet sandwhich zone. Always thought that was interesting.

I'll have to try these IRs out.

Hello Bob,
It's great that you're still playing concerts and that you have the same great sound as always with the FM3.
When I set "the" Marshall tone on my FM3, I play "The Butcher and fast Eddy" :)

My band at Wacken, 2022.

Me playing regular tuning rhythm in the right channel (I hope....), Fractal FM3 with SoloDallas, very, to my ears, "Australian sounding" (maybe more on that in a separate thread) IR's, Mick Arnold on slide in the left with yet another fricken "hit or miss" fricken hire Marshall, via an Australia low gain pedal made by MI Audio.

Cheers,
Bob.

I like this a lot Bob. If I say "Status Quo on steroids" I mean that as a big compliment. Bonzer Aussie Powerboogie!!!

I'm a little disappointed that the song wasn't Rock & Roll Outlaw, but it's still awesome. Good stuff man.

Back
Top Bottom