FM3 VS Quad Cortex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! I currently have an Axe FX III, but I am considering switching to something smaller so I can have a backpack/pedalboard style rig. I’m not sure what to do, I just want less bulk and great sound. I play prog metal.
Any suggestions?

I was tier 1 QC preorder and backed out. Maybe someday, but it’s gonna be a while. Fractal and the FM3 seem so much more mature, since they are building on over 10 years of development. Many probably think the touchscreen is cool, and it is to a point. I’ve had a Helix for almost 5 years. To me, now that I’m familiar with Fractal, the Helix and QC interface look almost dumbed down. Like duplo blocks compared to legos lol. I actually really prefer the AFX3/FM3 panel. As a pilot, I respect having dedicated buttons for things, and redundant ways to make things happen. Now I’m taking Cooper Carter’s master class and it becomes obvious how deeply thought out the Fractal product is. I’ve gotten very good at working from the FM3 front panel, and the FM3 Edit software is second to none.

What you need is the easy intuitive interface with touch screen and combination foot switch/dials of the QC mated with the killer amp modeling and effects of the FM3 with a tad more horsepower. Matter of fact, that just might be the framework for the new FM8, or 10, or 11 or whatever it is to be called. But if you need something soon, then probably the FM3 is your best bet. 😂

Tough question. Ultimately it comes down to taste. Has already been said, you're on an FM3 message board so of course you know what answer to expect. I can only relate my personal experience. I have owned several multi-effects units from multiple manufacturers (Line 6 and Boss included). Recently, I was torn between HX Stomp, GT-1000CORE, and the FM3. My previous experience with Line 6 steered me away from them (sorry, but I do feel they are overrated). Boss is solid, but I kept being intrigued by all the almost cult-like devotion to Fractal. I opted for the FM3 and couldn't be happier. At worst you won't risk much, a quick check of Reverb shows the cheapest used FM3 going for $1,100.

I will add that since my purchase the Neural Quad Coretex is generating a lot of talk. Take a look at Rhett Shull's assessment. It's pretty much what I expected. They are new on the scene and the quality of effects is not up to par (he was impressed with the unit's "capture" ability though).

Bottom line...FM3 won't disappoint.

You're a Metal guy, so check out Ola Englund's and Frank Steffen Mueller's posts.

Last edited:
I've been in the Fractal 'universe' since the Ultra. I like it. Even if the QC would be 'better', I would still get the FM3 as I'm familiar with the concept and can expect top notch customer support via Fractal and G66

The QC seems to be a Kemper like product with profiles. When I had my Kemper I only found a couple of profiles I really liked, didn't get on with the rest. I imagine the QC will be similar and I wonder if it'll end up being a Commercial Profiles device like the Kemper before it, which can get expensive. I sold my Kemper and came back to Fractal, and I don't see me wanting to go down that profiler route again. I am however considering going back to a real amp and a Suhr Reactive Load, possibly feeding into my FM3 for FX, certainly that feels more likely than getting the QC.

I love my Axe Fx 3, but I'll definitely be checking out a QC when it's released. All of the demos I have heard sound fantastic. I just hope that it does more than metal tones, really well.

Our other guitarist has one in order. He used to have an ax8 and really likes my III. I can see him getting a III if his new toy doesn’t pan out. But who knows. We are going to try and capture my axeIII tones to see how that works for him. If anything, it will be fun to play around with. I like the connection options.

The FM3 is a known quantity. The QC is still an unknown. Sure there are videos popping up but they all seem to be focused on captures (and mostly metal type tones - not my thing). While the capture does look cool, it's not what I'm after. We won't know about the quality of the modeling in comparison to Fractal until the QC is out in the wild. The QC does seem to have a lot of horsepower but that doesn't necessarily mean the code is better. The selection of amp models is limited today and there's no indication when that will expand. With their focus on captures I'm not sure how much effort they'll put into the models. Finally, the all important feel for both their captures and models won't be known until lots of players can get the box.

There's also the issue of effects. Most of the videos I've seen haven't addressed them. So to me they're still an open question too.

In short, you can get the FM3 relatively soon (not sure what the wait time is these days) or you can wait an indefinite period of time to be an early adopter of the QC. The QC is also $600 more than the FM3 which may factor in (it did for me). I was considering the QC back in November and decided to not wait and got the FM3 instead. I'm very happy with it and glad I didn't wait.

Fm3 is great. Amazing tones (amps and fx), great form factor, build like a tank, genius switch configuration, almost total control of parameter via modifiers, Astonishing depth for tweak the tone.... $600 less than a quad cortex.

I don’t think is posible for the quad to sound better than fm3. But if you want/need the captures, the increased cpu and more physical switches AND are willing to pay 60% more than and fm3 for it, I’m sure it will solve you’re need to amplify a guitar signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom