FM3 ..... USB 2 Type B Port on the back of the FM3 ......No Power Provided ** UPDATED **

I literally have lost count of how any USB-B connectors I've seen broken in the past 20 years. It is literally the weakest USB connection of all, in my personal experience (yes, anecdotal I know). It starts out fine, but it's structurally unsound.

USB 2 provides up to 2.5W btw...

The standard USB port, be it USB 1.1 or USB 2.0, delivers 5 volts of electricity and allows your connected device to draw 500 milliampere.

I don’t have an FM3, and just trying to help.
guess texting on an iPhone at traffic stops, isn’t a good idea, and I made a lot of errors. Should’ve waited to read carefully. I’m an electronics nut, and usually have my facts straight. the facts above are however straight from the web, and clearly states voltage delivery and maximum draw.

Sorry for 2 stupid mistakes in this thread, on my part lol. I know better, and really need to think before I text lol.

5 volts is a must!
500 milliamps is enough to power one power hogging device, such as midi keyboard or foot controllers with lights. It’s also the proper current for communications. I found that 500 milliamps runs out quick. The AXe Fx and a MIDI keyboard controller for example require an external USB hub for reliable communication

Last edited:
The standard USB port, be it USB 1.1 or USB 2.0, delivers 5 volts of electricity and allows your connected device to draw 500 milliampere.

I don’t have an FM3, and just trying to help.
guess texting on an iPhone at traffic stops, isn’t a good idea, and I made a lot of errors. Should’ve waited to read carefully. I’m an electronics nut, and usually have my facts straight. the facts above are however straight from the web, and clearly states voltage delivery and maximum draw.

Sorry for 2 stupid mistakes in this thread, on my part lol. I know better, and really need to think before I text lol.

5 volts is a must!
500 milliamps is enough to power one power hogging device, such as midi keyboard or foot controllers with lights. It’s also the proper current for communications. I found that 500 milliamps runs out quick. The AXe Fx and a MIDI keyboard controller for example require an external USB hub for reliable communication
You realize 500mA @5V are 2.5W, right?

I literally have lost count of how any USB-B connectors I've seen broken in the past 20 years. It is literally the weakest USB connection of all, in my personal experience (yes, anecdotal I know). It starts out fine, but it's structurally unsound.
Interesting... How do you break them? I've never broken one and I've been working with computers as a career for 35+ years.

You realize 500mA @5V are 2.5W, right?
whats the concern about wattage?

Isn’t the thread about powering an external midi floor controller?
5V @ 500ma from USB will both power it, and allow communications.
If the USB port on the FM3 doesn’t meet those requirements, at this point in time it can’t be used, but probably will in the future.

I get that the FM3 is a HOT topic atm, with a lot of very hungry, and frustrated people on the waiting list.
The thing flat out kicks ass, and is well worth the wait.

Interesting... How do you break them? I've never broken one and I've been working with computers as a career for 35+ years.

The center post on a USB-B recepticle is susceptible (no rhyme intended) to more strain than it can handle. Accidentally bumping a USB-B plug can snap it off, too many repeated insert cycles at the wrong angle can over time weaken it and cause spotty connectivity. Hell, even the weight of a cable over time can cause enough stress to break it. Sure, better manufacturing and materials can possibly mitigate some of it, but it's a flaw in the specification of the port.

Also (unrelated) it's not reversible.

I think you may be confusing Micro USB (the small, trapezoid connector) with USB Type B, which is a large, square connector. Type B is what you see on printers, Axe-Fx units, etc.

I think you may be confusing Micro USB (the small, trapezoid connector) with USB Type B, which is a large, square connector. Type B is what you see on printers, Axe-Fx units, etc.

Nope. Those are the ones I'm referring to. Micro USB is structurally more sound than Mini-USB and the larger USB-B receptacles. But the USB world has moved on to type C, which has more benefits than either.

I can live with type B, I have plenty of gear that uses it. I just prefer type C these days, since more and more things are using it, it's a compact port, and it's reversible.

Back
Top Bottom