FM3 still worth it? Few questions.

Boy_Narf

Hello Everyone,

Now that the whole squad is working at home full time I've been getting into digital for silent practicing. I picked up the Orange amps pack on Amplitube 5 and it sounds incredible. One thing though is that I don't like always being tied to my PC while I'm practicing.

I've been eyeing all of the big modelers, and actually had a preorder in for the QC but after multiple delays I got a refund. Honestly I'm glad I cancelled the order as I recently tried all of the Neural plugins and didn't get along with them. I also had the Iridium for a few hours and couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

Over the years I've done the big pedalboard thing, the massive pedalboard thing, the small pedalboard thing, and tbh I'm kind of done with effects. These days I just plug a cable straight into my amps and use the volume knob to get different tones (maybe a drop of room on a dry digital rig if there isn't any room simulation on the cab).

The questions:

- I don't think I'll miss the multiple amp blocks on the FM9 assuming the FM3 is responsive to dynamics. Does the FM3 clean up well with the volume knob?

- How has Fractal been at updating older hardware? Has there been any discussion about a support end date for the FM3?

- I'm starting to get serious about bass guitar. Is there a decent selection of bass amps and cabs avaliable?

- Aside from the dual amp blocks. extra footswitches, and CPU horsepower, is there anything else I'm missing out on compared to the FM9? Do they have all of the same quality amps & cabs?

I've been patiently cruising the local classified and any FM3 that has popped up is pretty much priced at retail (including shipping and customs). Figured I would just order a new one to get the warranty and all that.

Thanks,

We have a similar background. I am in awe of the FM3. For size and price ratio I am not
sure it can be beat. It's perfect for me. Can easily fit on my desk or pedalboard. So impressed
I bought a second and often run them in parallel to separate amps/cabs.

Have owned Helix, Kemper, and an FM9 in the past. FM3 just ticks all the boxes for me. I think
you'd be more than happy with it, but look forward to hearing others chime in with their thoughts. :)

Oh, as for dynamics----they are there in spades. I tend to stick with a single amp model live and ride
my volume on my guitar for the clean to mean scenario. The Marshalls/Plexis are SOOO Goood!

Based on your use description and your questions, I personally think the FM3 would be perfect for you. I gig with mine, but it also my go to "at home" set-up. It is actually a really solid computer audio interface.

The FM3 is the first Fractal product I've owned and I can say it lives up to all the hype I had heard about it. I've had mine for about a year and a half at this point and have not had one moment of regret. Prior to this I had an Avid Eleven rack. I've played a Helix at a rehearsal once (not mine), but don't have any experience with Neural or Kemper.

Honestly two of your questions are what I've been the most impressed with:

• The response is phenomenal. I mostly play with an edge of break up tone and it is amazingly responsive to volume pot and playing dynamics. Even with drives in front to get dirty tones, the dynamics are incredible.
  • The level of support for this device is better than anything I've ever experienced. The firmware updates I've gotten since buying this have been stellar. I can't speak definitively about future support for the FM3, but their track record with legacy devices makes me pretty confident.

Other things:
  • I've set up some pretty solid bass patches on mine. I haven't dove into it a whole lot, but I'm pretty sure this will not be limiting.
  • There are sometimes lags getting certain effects, drive, and amp models that the higher end devices get, but when they can the FM3 gets updated eventually.

From my perspective, the FM3 would be hard to beat for what you are using it for.

Awesome thanks!

I'm also wondering if the fm3 is usb class compliant? I've got a usb b to usb c cable I planned to use with the QC for recording quick ideas to my phone. Any chance you might know if this works, recording from the fm3 to an android?

Thanks.

Awesome thanks!

I'm also wondering if the fm3 is usb class compliant? I've got a usb b to usb c cable I planned to use with the QC for recording quick ideas to my phone. Any chance you might know if this works, recording from the fm3 to an android?

Thanks.
I'm not sure about a phone, but I have run my FM3 into a Macbook that only had a USB C (using an adapter). Worked fine.

I'm not sure about a phone, but I have run my FM3 into a Macbook that only had a USB C (using an adapter). Worked fine.

Yea computer would work for sure. Just trying to get away from the computer once in a while. Ideally I could hook up my phone to record ideas and drop them into a cloud service for future use on my computer.

I also answered my own question about bass. There are quite a few models present but the AD200 and Portaflex should do the job nicely.

Can’t speak for bass applications. The FM3 is great. They are constantly making improvements. Truly impressive in that regard. There are some things it won’t do, like the highest resolution IRs, bias trem not available. Some other parameters like input dynamics. Only 2 cabs in one block. It’s plenty for me and I’m happy with it, being a more of a straight up guitar guy. It will run a lot of stuff despite its lower cpu. If buying new, consider whether or not you’ll be wanting more switching. FC6 goes for $500+ Depending which model. They just put a new version. The FM9 comes with 9 switches. May not be available for awhile though. If I was new I’d go for the 9 but if you can’t wait the FM3 is an awesome unit, and most say it sounds as good as the Axe.

Can’t speak for bass applications. The FM3 is great. They are constantly making improvements. Truly impressive in that regard. There are some things it won’t do, like the highest resolution IRs, bias trem not available. Some other parameters like input dynamics. Only 2 cabs in one block. It’s plenty for me and I’m happy with it, being a more of a straight up guitar guy. It will run a lot of stuff despite its lower cpu. If buying new, consider whether or not you’ll be wanting more switching. FC6 goes for $500+ Depending which model. They just put a new version. The FM9 comes with 9 switches. May not be available for awhile though. If I was new I’d go for the 9 but if you can’t wait the FM3 is an awesome unit, and most say it sounds as good as the Axe.

Thanks for the info. The only pedal I use on a regular basis is my boomerang 3 Looper. after doing a bit of research on the fractal looping block, I think I would still be using the boomerang but in the effects loop. Foot switch wise I don't think I would be using anything except maybe to change amp settings as part of a scene.

Thanks for the info. The only pedal I use on a regular basis is my boomerang 3 Looper. after doing a bit of research on the fractal looping block, I think I would still be using the boomerang but in the effects loop. Foot switch wise I don't think I would be using anything except maybe to change amp settings as part of a scene.

Then the 3 might be your best choice. The looper works great but not as polished or feature loaded as dedicated units. You can run it on 3 switches with no problems. Just more tap dancing involved. For the price it really is a great deal. Once I figured it out I am getting the best tones I have ever had. And that makes me want to play more.

The cool thing about the new Fractal devices is the modeling platform is the same across all of them. A few deep parameters are not available on the FM3 due to processing power but the tone from the FM3 is the same as you'd get from the Axe-Fx III. All devices are able to use the same IRs as well so there's really no downside unless you want to mix more than 2 IRs.

Even lush ambient tones are very possible with the FM3 with the different blocks like the Multitap Delay, Plex Delay and the 'strymonish' reverb types. I had a quick set Sunday night and didn't want to spend the time setting up my Axe III rig so I took the FM3 and didn't miss a thing.

I, too, think the FM3 is perfect for what you are looking for. I had an Axe Fx II for almost a decade, then went back to analog, and recently went back to Fractal with an FM3. It's incredible. I never used the dual amp function on the Axe Fx II so I really didn't care. My presets are pretty basic, and yes, there are plenty of presets where you can have the volume control on your guitar control how "dirty" the sound is. The Fractal products are very dynamic like that.

The only other issue between the FM3 and FM9 is scene switching. It is very seamless, quick and quiet with the FM9, but with the FM3 if you really want to, you can hear an audible switching with a slight delay. I'm a home hobbyist, and mostly play one preset at a time if I'm recording anyway, so I personally don't care.

I can also say that there is no better community of people ready to help than the Fractal community here. Amazing people, with a wealth of knowledge. And very willing to share that knowledge. A special group. Truly.

I use the Boomerang 3. I really doubt I'll ever get rid of it as I haven't found anything else to compare. The FM3 looper is ok, but you won't have near the functionality of the Boomerang.

I wouldn't worry too much about lifecycle. The FM3 is awesome and as Joker III just pointed out, with few exceptions, the modeling platform is identical across Fractal's lineup. You won't find a better modeler out there than a Fractal.

Even when Fractal does eventually launch a replacement, it's not like the bottom will fall out of your resale value (using the AX8 as a case study).

Amazing info everyone thanks soo much! I appreciate not being ridiculed for being a noob like other forums. Sometimes the community is as, or even more important than the product.

Anyone have any luck recording direct to an android phone? I think that's my last hurdle.

I guess I was more worried about software support. This post is regarding updated hardware no?
It's applicable to both. Per the post, the FM3 will be around for awhile. With Fractal that implies firmware support.

I forget the launch date for the FM3 (maybe 2019?), but the last firmware update for the AX8 was 9/11/18, so the AX8 was supported all the way to end-of-cycle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom