FM3 still worth it? Few questions.

I guess I was more worried about software support. This post is regarding updated hardware no?
The post is regarding being able to get parts to build the current design.

Don’t even be concerned about software support. Fractal leads by example how the industry should be treating their customers and supporting the products. I counted just the firmware updates a few weeks ago and in three years they’d shipped close to 300 updates, including some MAJOR modeling improvements. Nobody else comes close.

While there isn't a huge selection of bass amps, I have to say the FM3 produces the best bass tones I've ever played in a modeler. I love a bright, almost broken up bass tone with a pick and this does it in spades.

Last edited:
I thought I'd never find a solution from a modeller. The feel of the Fractal 3 stuff is a different league.

With regards to the FM3 lifespan, even if they stopped supporting it next year (2024) I'll still use my FM3 for many years. it has all I need in a small compact box. I have no need for dual amps. I'd like two pitch blocks, but even the FM9 doesn't have that, so I'm losing nothing by staying with the FM3.

I just don't know how they've done it, but the FAS guys actually have nailed it. Nice Job! For Sale: All my old valve gear.

Actually it does anything my former Axe Fx II did with only 3 limitations :

only one pitch block
No double Amp block
Midi from DAW via a USB to midi converter

Before the FM3 dropped I was an AX8 user. Fractal was still supporting old units even after the the new flagship III dropped, and if I remember correctly they were improving/adding new models and effects as well as optimizing for CPU usage for quite some time after. In my experience Fractal has been hands-down better than any company I've bought equipment from in terms of support, product updates, and lifespan of service. Definitely was a huge selling point when I bought my AX8.

In terms of longevity concerns, you really don't have anything to worry about. If you're the kind of player that always wants the newest and best, the moot point is that you're gonna be pinching for new units anyway as they're released, but overall the Fractal units have proven longevity, support, and improvement long after most companies would tell you to buzz off, and there are plenty of them out there still performing great and retaining their value. Go take a look at used prices for the previous gen's and you'll see what I mean.

You definitely should man , there is nothing out there what beats it.....and I have gone through the whole AXE III part too...just too much for my simple needs....1 patch with a Drive block - Plexi 50 amp - Cab , a Plex Delay block for Delays and reverbs and a Pitch Block and I do everything else with the volume knob...all night, one preset plus tap tempo and tuner set on a different view......

BUT I also LOVE my Tube amp and then use the FM3 for its IR + FX.......

You should... and you'll love it :)

I'm loving it so far...but if you want some irony one reason I went for the FM3 was this new (to me) covers band. But the band has done 3 gigs in 2 weeks plus a rehearsal or two. There has been precious little time to build presets to say nothing of loading in layouts and getting comfortable enough to use it for gigs. Finally, my FRFR took a week to arrive after ordering and I have yet to get the two paired up. I do know this after initial testing: my Yamaha studio monitor speakers have much more apparent high end response. This is understandable given their intended purpose and given that they have proper tweeters and the tweeters are 3 ft away at ear height.

Some might say that studio monitors are intended to be FRFR as well but the difference is still there although in fairness I tested the FM3/Yamahas in my office loft and the cab in the garage.

So...the presets I have created to date will have to be re-EQ'd for cab FRFR. Not a huge mountain to climb but a necessary one.

I suppose a good analogy at present is getting a new driver and then going on a golf trip without it. You'd rather have it in the bag but know that you've got to put some work in with it and will implement it soon enough.

With the gig schedule I had no real choice but to use the 2x10 tube combo and traditional pedalboard. There are worse fates but this forum may not agree 😂

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom