FM3 Stand in switch issues?

Stratman68

Axe-Master
So, dusted off my FM3, been playing the FM9 since I got it last year or2. Anyway. Watched Leon's video about Stand in switches switching views. I just am not getting it. I mean I do not even see where I can tell it I want it to switch a view.
I do know where to setup standin switches as pedal 2( I am trying to use 2 trs Y etc. But I am just lost.
I know it is simple and after 14 years you would think I know except I have never tried any of this stuff before.
I need a real detailed video if it exist. In Leons videos I cannot see where he is either, too blurry.

My goal is to have Stand in switch 1 scrol and wrap thru views 1 & 2. Stand in switch 2 I am not even concerned about at this time
thanks

You can switch views and layouts with the knobs labeled FC View () and FC Layout ()

1678758500520.png

Last edited:
You can switch views and layouts with the knobs labeled FC View () and FC Layout ()

View attachment 117636
He wants to use a stand-in switch to do it.

However, I'm not sure if the issue is assigning the view change to the switch, or actually assigning the stand-in switch itself to a layout... And it feels like he's frustrated and gave up.

He wants to use a stand-in switch to do it.

However, I'm not sure if the issue is assigning the view change to the switch, or actually assigning the stand-in switch itself to a layout... And it feels like he's frustrated and gave up.
You are correct my friend. Frustrated, something so simple.............................

So is you in or out?
Well Rex,
I would like to be able to do this but I just am not seeing it at all. I am going to look at it again today.
What Unix-guy said above is about it, I think

"assigning the view change to the switch, or actually assigning the stand-in switch itself to a layout.."

The thing that tripped me up initially when using a 2 button footswitch was presuming that they should be configured as 'FM3 SW 1' and 'FM3 SW 2'. This is not the case though: 'SW 1' and 'SW 2' refers to the <PEDAL> jacks on the FM3. A two button footswitch connected with a TRS cable to the <PEDAL 1> jack, needs to be configured using 'FM3 SW 1 TIP' for footswitch #1 and 'FM3 SW 1 RING' for footswitch #2.

You then need to decide where you want to assign the external footswitch(es) as Stand-In Switches. You can find empty switches in a couple of the layouts, I chose Layout 9 (Master Layout) switches 10 and 11 since they were both empty and in a layout I rarely change.

This assignment is in the 'Stand-In Switches' page of the FC Controllers/Onboard Switches 'Setup' menu.

I have my 2 button external switch configured as:

Switch 1 - Tap= Presets Layout (Layout Link 1); Hold= Scenes Layout (Layout Link 2)
Switch 2 - Tap= Effects Layout (Layout Link 3; Hold= View Inc/Dec to act as a View Toggle (Wrap, Lower Limit 1, Upper Limit 2).

FM3-Stand-In-Switch.jpg

After assigning the locations of the switches, in FM3 Edit go to the 'FC Edit' tab, select the Layout you assigned the switches in the FM3, click on the Switch number you want to edit. From there, it's the same process for assigning functions as it is with the onboard switches. You can of course assign functions from the front panel as well, I just use FM3 Edit pretty much exclusively.

FM3-Stand-In-Switch-Edit.png

Well Rex,
I would like to be able to do this but I just am not seeing it at all. I am going to look at it again today.
What Unix-guy said above is about it, I think

"assigning the view change to the switch, or actually assigning the stand-in switch itself to a layout.."
Slightly off-topic, but, since the thread is continuing and wasn't closed by a moderator, can you remove "THREAD CLOSED" from the thread title please? It's confusing.

@JoKeR III Thanks for taking the time to do that!
Hope it helps.

There were some things that confused and frustrated me that others seemed to have no trouble sorting out as well. I like to know the why of how things work, but sometimes it's better to simply know where to find it and the steps of how to do it without trying to have it make sense in my quirky, little peanut brain.

Wanted to post back. Success. I decided for now to just go with one Stand in switch, although I have around a dozen or more of the boss FS-5U and 5L switches.
Tap gives me view 1 & 2 wrapping and Hold gives me the tuner. Just decided that was all I need for now.

Thanks again for the help!

Wanted to post back. Success. I decided for now to just go with one Stand in switch, although I have around a dozen or more of the boss FS-5U and 5L switches.
Tap gives me view 1 & 2 wrapping and Hold gives me the tuner. Just decided that was all I need for now.

Glad you got over the hurdle. Been there, done that.

BTW - I know this is something I will be doing with my FM3 in the future so this was very helpful for me too. Thanks for posting the question and thanks to @JoKeR III for the great explanation.

Win!

Goes to show you-I have been here forever, well April 2009. Started with the Standard and just kept upgrading. But I never really did much with the zillions of capabilities of these units. Got good sounds, sometimes dug deep, ,but mostly not - Just played and played.
This forum is one of the best!

BTW: Shout out @2112 Leon got me thinking about wrapping views when I watched his video on this stuff.
I mean I have my FM9 also, but wanted more from the 3.... I got it!

Back
Top Bottom