Not a Bug FM3 showing effects not in preset

Kablesp

Hi Everyone,

Just got my FM3 last Thursday and I have been loving it so far, but I've noticed that it sometimes shows effects that are not in the preset. When I try to engage them it says "effect not in this preset". Additionally, it seems to not show other effects that actually are in the preset. Any help would be appreciated!

Kevin

That is based on the switch Layout... These are global settings and don't really pertain to a given preset (unless you use per-preset switch overrides).

You probably want to read up on Layouts to get a better understanding.

Just got my FM3 last Thursday and I have been loving it so far, but I've noticed that it sometimes shows effects that are not in the preset. When I try to engage them it says "effect not in this preset". Additionally, it seems to not show other effects that actually are in the preset.
As @unix-guy said, switches are generally global, and, when a particular effect isn't in the preset, it's an opportunity to use a per-preset switch override on one of the switches.

The downside of that is typically I will use different effects in different presets, so those "holes" where I'm not using a particular effect move around from preset to preset. At that point I'll start wanting to adjust the layout to try to make it be more consistent for my use; Fractal made the default based on what they figured was a reasonable generic layout, but of course everyone wants something different so there will be some misplaced or missing choices in our individual use-cases.

Read the manual and get familiar with what the layout does and how it works before trying to change it. FM3-Edit makes it easy to move switches around and change the layout, but don't grab and move them around willy-nilly, instead first do a backup of all layouts so you can revert easily if you don't like something. Managing layouts is a more complex part of the unit so take your time and figure it out and remember that they are generally global so they're applied immediately, hence the need for a backup just in case.

You don't say whether you're using the factory layout or one of the OMG variants or whether you have just the base unit or one of the FC units attached. The firmware has several different ones built-in and it's worth exploring them to see if they fit your needs better. OMG9 in particular is extremely powerful and nosing through it helped me understand layouts a lot better.

Thank you guys, I spent some time last night with the layouts, per preset, and overrides. I have a better understanding of how it works and how to get it to work best for me. Loving this thing so far, coming from Helix Native the tones and feel are considerably better.

Back
Top Bottom