FM3 Now Shipping

Trying to keep my motivation up as this list CREEPS along lately. This will be my first Fractal product and I have high expectations.

I keep checking out alternatives. YouTuber John Cordy confirms what I've suspected by trying to read between the lines of so many reviews (specifically of HX Stomp vs FM3). He says in this video that he feels the need to defend Helix products because of perceived snobbery. He also admits he is not yet adept at the Fractal UI.

I just find it interesting because I'm losing count of YouTube reviews that seem to ultimately be noncommittal (mustn't anger any companies or they might not send you free stuff to review in the future).

Sorry for the long post, just sort of venting/ranting.

They're both really capable, powerful, and nice sounding devices. They both have Pros and Cons, so there is no "This is the winner" there is only "This one is better for you if these things matter to you". He feels the need to Defend the helix because he's saying "Lots of people just assume the FM3 is on a whole other level because of the cost, but it's perfectly capable itself and since people sometimes forget that I want to re-state it".

Helix Pros:
  • Much cheaper.
  • Simpler UI
  • Simpler controls (less advanced parameters, less option paralysis or tweaking rabbit holes, simpler parallel options, simpler modifiers setup)
  • Helix shapshots make it really easy to use different settings on the same models. You can make all your knobs and switch settings snapshot specific, and have them be different on each snapshot. That's great for making a single preset with clean/crunch/lead/high gain/etc modes on a single amp.
  • Some of their models offer the whole amp in one model (their Friedman BE-100 model has the HBE switch built in instead of being separate models. Same with their Revv Generator models. This is good given the way their snapshots control settings.
  • Stable update pace where you don't need to rethink presets very often.
FM3 Pros:
  • Can make much more complex patches: i.e., the ability to split and merge multiple parallel signals, route back to earlier parts of the grid, feed output from one black back into another block, etc.
  • Amps and model have a lot more tweakability: way more advanced parameters, much more specific things you can tweak if you're interested
  • Block Channels: Allow you to swap between 4 sets of settings or 4 entirely different amp or effect types in every block.
  • More amp models
  • Faster update pace (well, on the FXIII at least, on the FM3 that's still to be determined)
  • Much more configurable controls (footswitch layouts, expression pedal default values, a whole lot more are very flexible, can work however you want)

You'd think the enthusiasm for the FM3 would speak for itself. I've had an axe2 for years and run it with a power amp and frfr cabs. I recently acquired the FM3 to run 4 cable method with my JVM 410h. I am just amazed and the sound of this new unit, so much so that I'm now trying to upgrade to the axe3.
Maybe the FM3 isn't for you but for most people I have to believe this is going to be the best piece of guitar equipment they've purchased in a very long time. I count myself as one of those people. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Got my invite today - waitlist was June 2, 2020.
Are you certain June 2 is your day or did you possibly sign up more than once? See Southview2002's message. It's possible his invite went to his spam. I just want to know where we really stand; I'm really hoping we're into June because this is my month. Congrats either way!

I was on the waitlist on May 27 and have not received an invite?? Are the skipping ahead?
And so it begins again. Someone is upset because reported dates in the thread don’t match up. Then we wait to learn who is mistaken about their date. Meanwhile, Fractal customer service gets to tell the millionth customer, “Yes, you’re on the list. Here’s your date. And no, we haven’t skipped you.”

And so it begins again. Someone is upset because reported dates in the thread don’t match up. Then we wait to learn who is mistaken about their date. Meanwhile, Fractal customer service gets to tell the millionth customer, “Yes, you’re on the list. Here’s your date. And no, we haven’t skipped you.”

Occasionally it's "Yes we did send you an invite, maybe it's in your spam folder" too though.

You had to email a request to be placed on the wait list. You should be able to find it in your sent folder. If you can locate that, then there's your proof.
You might want to review the last few posts in this thread. I think you’re unclear about what transpired. ;)

Back
Top Bottom