FM3 Model Capacity

rrhoads17

Inspired
Do we know how many more amp/effect models the FM3 and FM3 Turbo can handle in future updates? I guess my concern is the regular FM3 not being able to take future updates, but from what I’ve read, the additonal CPU on the Turbo is more for an additional block or two.

Do we know how many more amp/effect models the FM3 and FM3 Turbo can handle in future updates? I guess my concern is the regular FM3 not being able to take future updates, but from what I’ve read, the additonal CPU on the Turbo is more for an additional block or two.
The number of blocks you can place on the grid won't change for each particular model. Maybe some particular type of effect for some particular block will eat more or less CPU after some algorithm changes, that happens, but overall all your presets will always work. FM3T will allow extra block or two compared to base model.
Pretty much all new amps and effects added to the top model make their way into FM3 at some point too, nothing to worry about. They always do. Some need to be simplified, but not to a point where it starts to sound like a completely different effect.
Maybe some algo or a particular effect in the future will be "too much" for FM3 - well, it costs much less and have a smaller footprint and weigh, so you gain some you lose some.
I wouldn't worry about anything like that.

Cpu vs RAM vs Memory space.

I guess my concern is the regular FM3 not being able to take future updates.
I think that in theory these are valid concerns and that it was once part of the deal or intention: buy a better unit, get more space for updates -- your choice. Makes sense to a good degree.

I could be wrong, but I think when the Axe-Fx II ran out of firmware memory, the II XL still had plenty left? But then out of the blue there suddenly was the III :eek:

I'm gonna guess that -- like anyone -- they find it more user friendly to not disappoint people in this regard and will try to give everyone the same updates more or less -- even if the better unit may have more firmware space (it also needs it for the extra features, btw).

It would be cool if at EOL the more expensive unit would be crammed with goodies where possible, but it's not that we didn't get value for money. Sure, people who buy it late may get near-zero updates and that's on them, but it would therefore be extra cool to those to cram some stuff in. This is not necessarily easy, as some easy things to add on may need a different memory location than what is still plenty (like IRs?).

BTW, I don't have a III, so I'm just being generous here! :p

If you buy something for what you hope it will become you're highly likely to be disappointed.
True of many products, but "highly likely not to be disappointed" in the case of Fractal (given their history of providing beefy updates for generously long time frames, even after discontinuation (ie Ax2)) - buyers anticipate the updates - I suspect it's now built into the business model and, understandably given the popularity / success of the continuous evolution, has likely become a common buyer expectation

Last edited:
people who buy it late may get near-zero updates and that's on them
Not sure how it's completely on them given that it's pretty much impossible to predict new Fractal hardware releases or how much expansion capacity remains in any of their current products - many thought we were near zero on the Ax3 gen years ago - but, still going strong.

Last edited:
For some it is about the latest update instead of what the FM3 already offers.

Don't think that many users have actually used every possible combination of the hundreds of amps, cabs, effects, and the countless parameters/options within each. Yet adding one more amp or effect will make all the difference?

The FM3 still stands strong against the FM9 and III.

Last edited:
Not sure how it's completely on them
I didn't say completely, but in a way yes. For me, every serious purchase preferably goes with a lot of research, so they should know the risk, even if a not updated Fractal site blurb still promises them many updates. Through research they should know updates are not as common anymore and it could also stop soon.

I'd like a 2nd Pitch Block too in the FM9, but I don't think I've added text to the complainer threads. I chose my option carefully and I understand the cons. It's on me.

BTW, it seems smart to me to hide large periods of silence (that lead to speculation of a new gen being finalized) with smaller updates again. Now that some huge programming efforts have been somewhat completed, maybe those days could come back again for a while :)

Last edited:
fractal constantly updates things and is constantly working on the next thing, bug fixes, feature requests.

the only problem i've seen over many years is when an update hasn't come out and people ask if that's the end of all updates forever, or imply that. it causes arguments and speculation about the company, personal lives, and other things that aren't relevant at all. then the update comes out and it's all good until the next thread. shrug

IIRC, the OG FM3 and the Turbo have the same amount of RAM and storage. They both use the same firmware. The Turbo uses a faster clocked DSP chip (500 MHz vs 450 MHz) and has bigger scribble strips on the the switches.

Back
Top Bottom