FM3 locking up.

hobbes1

Inspired
I've been searching online and I see that there have been some reports here about the latest firmware and potential for random lock-ups. My situation might be a little different as I am attempting to build a preset from scratch with the FM3-edit via Mac. I can successfully place an Input and Output block and connect with them with "cables". I then add a Cab block in the middle. At this point, I go into the Cab block and click the menu on cab1 to change from Factory 1 to User cabs. The FM3 locks up each time I do this. CPU usage is 24.2% at this point.
All three small lights on the lower right of the FM3 are in the Lit phase (edited, midi in and tempo) with no flashing. FM3-edit shows that it is Connected with a green check mark but there is no activity on Save or any other button clicks. FM3 itself is locked. I've been using it with no prior issues, same USB cable and port, same Roland EV5 hooked up. I've modified other presets with no issues. I've tried other USB ports and cables. Rebooted the FM3, Rebooted my Mac. Any ideas?
Thanks

I recomend to go for a factory reset, upgrade to 4.01 software, reload the stock presets from scratch try again, if the problem is still in place, open a ticket @ support. the stated situation is definitely not normal.

Hello and thank you for your thoughts. I am on the latest versions of FM3-edit and FM3 firmware.
I was able to get this to work by adding and In and Out block, SAVE. Adding "connector" between them and SAVE. Basically, I began SAVing after each addition of a Cab, then Reverb, then delay, etc. No lockups. For some reason, it seems that if I don't SAVE first, prior to trying to select an actual cab in the Cab block, the FM3 locks.
Maybe it's a bug.

I think it's a glitch in your software, if it were an actual bug then it would have gotten a lot of attention already considering how common the use of the user IR slots are. I had a minor, unrelated glitch in my unit a while back that was resolved by reinstalling the firmware.

I got a bad IR from TGP about a month ago that caused the FM3 to freeze every time I got close to it with either the PC editor or on-screen. Deleted the bad IR. Solved. IMHO, this should not have crashed the FM3, but the fix was simple enough, so I moved on.

Hello and thank you for your thoughts. I am on the latest versions of FM3-edit and FM3 firmware.
I was able to get this to work by adding and In and Out block, SAVE. Adding "connector" between them and SAVE. Basically, I began SAVing after each addition of a Cab, then Reverb, then delay, etc. No lockups. For some reason, it seems that if I don't SAVE first, prior to trying to select an actual cab in the Cab block, the FM3 locks.
Maybe it's a bug.
It's very likely not a bug. I can't duplicate it, and I'll venture a guess that the majority of FM3 users can't duplicate it. If you're sure it's a bug feel free to tag the thread as "Bug?".

You can help diagnose the problem by doing some triage; I'd recommend disconnecting the USB cable, then cycle the power on the FM3. Then, build a simple preset, similar to one you've created before that would lock up, but do it using the front panel, and see if the FM3 locks up. Is so, we know the problem is in the unit. If not, we know it's in the USB connection between the computer and the FM3, or possibly in FM3-Edit, your USB cable, or your system software.

"Troubleshooting" in the Wiki has some suggestions for diagnosing USB problems. Hubs can be problematic, especially non-powered ones.

The recommendation to reset the FM3 to system settings and reloading the firmware is valid and can fix weird issues, just make sure you back everything up first so you can restore your own presets.

I've been searching online and I see that there have been some reports here about the latest firmware and potential for random lock-ups. My situation might be a little different as I am attempting to build a preset from scratch with the FM3-edit via Mac. I can successfully place an Input and Output block and connect with them with "cables". I then add a Cab block in the middle. At this point, I go into the Cab block and click the menu on cab1 to change from Factory 1 to User cabs. The FM3 locks up each time I do this. CPU usage is 24.2% at this point.
All three small lights on the lower right of the FM3 are in the Lit phase (edited, midi in and tempo) with no flashing. FM3-edit shows that it is Connected with a green check mark but there is no activity on Save or any other button clicks. FM3 itself is locked. I've been using it with no prior issues, same USB cable and port, same Roland EV5 hooked up. I've modified other presets with no issues. I've tried other USB ports and cables. Rebooted the FM3, Rebooted my Mac. Any ideas?
Thanks
Bad IR.

Would it be fair to call it a bug if the device isn't able to gracefully handle or recover from a bad IR? I'd personally still call that a bug. I don't know what makes an IR "bad", but it would be handy to have a way to screen for them, or have the tools warn about them before uploading to the device.

Would it be fair to call it a bug if the device isn't able to gracefully handle or recover from a bad IR? I'd personally still call that a bug. I don't know what makes an IR "bad", but it would be handy to have a way to screen for them, or have the tools warn about them before uploading to the device.
Yes, the firmware should be able to handle a bad IR. IR management was completely rewritten for the Axe-Fx III a couple months ago. Those changes are slated to be ported to the FM series.

I got a bad IR from TGP about a month ago that caused the FM3 to freeze every time I got close to it with either the PC editor or on-screen. Deleted the bad IR. Solved. IMHO, this should not have crashed the FM3, but the fix was simple enough, so I moved on.
Bad IR? That's moderately terrifying. :)

Can Axe Change presets cause issues with the FM3? Or just third party IRs?

Can Axe Change presets cause issues with the FM3? Or just third party IRs?
Axe Change doesn't have a way of determining whether a preset or IR is corrupt.

I keep everything backed up in case a problem occurs after loading something from Axe Change. I'd rather reset back to factory settings and reload my prior system than fuss with the system trying to identify and delete a preset or IR if it's acting up.

To be clear, I did not get as far as actually trying to select an IR. Simply clicking on the Picker in the cab block resulted in consistent lockup. Once I started the save, step, save, step, save method I outlined above there were no problems building the preset. If it was a bad IR, would the FM3 still have allowed me to build the preset the way I describe? I did not remove any IRs or change anything else.

Do you recall what the IR was?

Do you recall what the IR was?
Sorry... it was not JMCH or JMEH ... it was the third one, but once the issue was identified, he took it down and replaced it with a corrected version. I deleted the bad one from my system and FM3 and skipped the replacement.

Back
Top Bottom