FM3 Levels potmeters

nmalexandersen

Hello all. New to this forum, and not an FM3 owner yet (but will very soon)

I am seeking information regarding the output levels on the FM3, related to the levels pots on the unit.
I am aware of the -10/+4 settings.

So the question is this ...

Are the LEVELS pots attenuators only, or is it gain involved here ?

Kind regards Nils

Thanks a lot for your response. So that means that if you set the LEVELS pots to max, you have a added +20 dB of gain to the signal ?
If so ... Does a NOON settings represent a kind of UINTY setting with regards to Gain ?

Kind regards Nils

So that means that if you set the LEVELS pots to max, you have a added +20 dB of gain to the signal ?
Yes except it's dBu. dBu is decibels referenced to .775Vrms (1mW into a 600 ohm load).

You can set Output 2 to be unity gain at knob fully clockwise. I'm not sure where exactly unity would be on Output 1 -- probably about noon?

Thanks for your reply :) I guess I could figure out where unity gain is for output 1 is by sending in a balanced 0 dBU (0,775v) signal in stereo on input 2, and turning the level dial until a get a 0 dBU reading on a peak meter. (using no input padding and the + 4 dB output setting of course :)

In the FM3 manual:
  • the third bullet on p. 21 talks about the OUT knobs and their levels.
  • bullets 17 and 20 on p. 23 talk about the actual outputs, their intended purposes, and the output levels.
  • p. 103 talks about the configurations settings that control the levels from the Output blocks to the actual output jacks.
  • Section 4 has a series of configurations showing the various uses of the FM3 and which outputs to use, which also talks about levels. It's like a cookbook of recipes for use.
Fractal designed these units, even the FM3, for use on pro-stages so they're very flexible, and the above pages talk about the cabling needed.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your response. So that means that if you set the LEVELS pots to max, you have a added +20 dB of gain to the signal ?
If so ... Does a NOON settings represent a kind of UINTY setting with regards to Gain ?

Kind regards Nils
The signal itself can be increased within the unit.

The Output blocks can be turned up to +20dB.

Noon is not unity gain.

Output 1 is line level output, unity gain doesn't apply.

Output 2 can be set for use as unity gain or line level globally. When set for unity gain, that is achieved with the knob at full.

Back
Top Bottom