FM3 into PS170?

And on a serious note; tubes are great. But I just don't like mixing modelers with them anymore. Too much crossing of the streams for no discernable benefit. For me at least.

Mustang GT or GTFO.

I can't man, I'm completely Fender'd out. I buy their stuff and think it's going to be a perfect fit and it's just not. The Tonemaster DR was just ok, should rename it the Lackluster DR. This freaking Pro Reverb on paper seemed to be the ultimate, old school gigging backline amp with fine modern appointments. I mean, that have 75 years of experience to draw on to just provide a killer CLEAN PEDAL PLATFORM. That thing was stiff as a board, flat, flat, flat.

• These questions have plagued me for years once I got into the digital game and still do. I think if 99% of the people did some true soul searching they would admit the best digital rig through FRFR can sound amazing and be incredibly flexible, but a pure high quality tube amp and cab for those simple core tones STILL WINS. I'm just trying to get closer to filling that gap, that's all.
This is why I'm ultimately considering a 4CM setup. But I hear a lot of shit about noise with 4CM and the FM3.

I can't man, I'm completely Fender'd out. I buy their stuff and think it's going to be a perfect fit and it's just not. The Tonemaster DR was just ok, should rename it the Lackluster DR. This freaking Pro Reverb on paper seemed to be the ultimate, old school gigging backline amp with fine modern appointments. I mean, that have 75 years of experience to draw on to just provide a killer CLEAN PEDAL PLATFORM. That thing was stiff as a board, flat, flat, flat.
BUT ISN'T FLAT WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR?

And on a serious note; tubes are great. But I just don't like mixing modelers with them anymore. Too much crossing of the streams for no discernable benefit. For me at least.
Right now, for me, the ultimate setup is FM3 in 4cm with some real drive pedals and my Mesa E Dyne.

I have been getting amazing sounds out of my FM3 and ASM-12 however, but I really don't know how it will fly in a band situation until I actually try it. Which I can't for a (long?) while, due to lockdown, etc, unfortunately.

Reactions: JTI
Right now, for me, the ultimate setup is FM3 in 4cm with some real drive pedals and my Mesa E Dyne.

I have been getting amazing sounds out of my FM3 and ASM-12 however, but I really don't know how it will fly in a band situation until I actually try it. Which I can't for a (long?) while, due to lockdown, etc, unfortunately.
I hear you. My rig is so dumb and over-complicated that I have to cut it off at some point. I dig amps but definitely different tools for different job. For me, at least. If I just played guitar and didn't do any of the dumb synth stuff; I'd have just stuck with an amp. I think.

I'm no longer welcome there... I guess I could go incognito and deal with pop up ads to read my own reviews...
Again, PS170 works and is super CONVENIENT but it's not the best tone. I just have to weigh that option.
To me, the Fryette PS2 is incredible and the closest thing to having all the versatility (to a degree) and all of the killer tones in one solution. But, carting the PS2 IS awkward and if I don't have a tube amp at home to use the attenuating / re-amping features it's "pretty expensive" as a solution. For a hot minute I had Marshall SV20 into PS2 and that was gorgeous. Then could test FM3 into PS2 as power amp and that was really, really nice as well. But would I cart the PS2 AND the cab to a gig???
Turn over a new leaf and return? What happened?

I have been using the FM3 extensively at home with my Mesas and have no noise issues. Using the Boost/Pad function on Output 2 is super effective.

I have had better luck with the output 2 boost/pad as well when integrating with a real amp, but there is definitely some digital noise that comes through vs. an all analog pedalboard.
Your Mesa rig sounds cool but there is Zero chance I'd haul a Mesa E Dyne (aren't they like 80lbs?), FM3 based board, 4+ cables, etc... to a show.
I'm the bandleader and frequently FOH/IEM engineer and lighting guy including babysitting and trying to get paid.
Hence the reason super quick and easy and convenient hit it and quit it guitar rig is essential.
I usually have 5 minutes to setup my rig at a gig, if that - seriously.

I'm no longer welcome there... I guess I could go incognito and deal with pop up ads to read my own reviews...
That really sucks and is super surprising. I enjoyed all your posts over there and your impressive level of relentless amp/modeler flipping and reviewing. You are a buying/reviewing/selling phenom! :)

But, carting the PS2 IS awkward...
Seriously dude? It's like 15 pounds and pretty small... I move a 45 lb Mesa E Dyne head around and dont' really mind it. It's really the only physical labour I do, if it can be called that, lol. It's good for you! :)

I have had better luck with the output 2 boost/pad as well when integrating with a real amp, but there is definitely some digital noise that comes through vs. an all analog pedalboard.
Your Mesa rig sounds cool but there is Zero chance I'd haul a Mesa E Dyne (aren't they like 80lbs?), FM3 based board, 4+ cables, etc... to a show.
I'm the bandleader and frequently FOH/IEM engineer and lighting guy including babysitting and trying to get paid.
Hence the reason super quick and easy and convenient hit it and quit it guitar rig is essential.
That makes sense, if you're running FOH/IEM and lighting. I totally get that.

I think your PT-15 (if you still have it?) plus some pedals would be great. Or maybe the FM3 plus a Friedman ASC10. They really do sound great (based on my ASM12).

That really sucks and is super surprising. I enjoyed all your posts over there and your impressive level of relentless amp/modeler flipping and reviewing. You are a buying/reviewing/selling phenom! :)

Seriously dude? It's like 15 pounds and pretty small... I move a 45 lb Mesa E Dyne head around and dont' really mind it. It's really the only physical labour I do, if it can be called that, lol. It's good for you! :)
Therein lies the problem. Once you start doing the modeling thing; your mind goes to how much more convenient it is. Only to figure out other areas of "inefficiency" in your cartage. Which is why you end up with an Alto TS or Mustang GT on a stick and just deal with it.

Therein lies the problem. Once you start doing the modeling thing; your mind goes to how much more convenient it is. Only to figure out other areas of "inefficiency" in your cartage. Which is why you end up with an Alto TS or Mustang GT on a stick and just deal with it.
I guess, but I'm more OCD about enjoying myself than I am about everything being convenient. If I don't love my sound it's hard for me to have a great night. Half the fun for me is reveling in the sound of my setup. Might be unprofessional/spoiled, but it's the way my brain works.

Also, I'm lucky to practice in a big space with the band and to be able to crank my E Dyne and Trad 4x12. That is so much damn fun I really don't mind the slight extra work involved. And for gigs, the head and a 2x12 is pretty easy.

That being said, I know what you mean and sometimes get caught in this mental vortex of weighing head/cab/modeler/FRFR options. At this point, bringing a comparable FRFR and FM3 doesn't seem like much less work than bringing my tube head and 2x12, so I may as well do the latter and keep my mind at ease/fully enjoy myself. And as for running the FM3 into the effect loop of the tube amp: if I'm bringing the tube amp, I'm going to use it and not a modeler.

All that being said, I am loving the FM3 modeling at home with my ASM-12 and am open to going "full modeler," I just can't make that call until I can get together with my band in person.

Anyway, don't mean to derail your thread, @Gasp100 . I hope you work it out and return to TGP at some point, though it's nice to see you over here, too.

Last edited:
I guess, but I'm more OCD about enjoying myself than I am about everything being convenient. If I don't love my sound it's hard for me to have a great night. Half the fun for me is reveling in the sound of my setup. Might be unprofessional/spoiled, but it's the way my brain works.

Also, I'm lucky to practice in a big space with the band and to be able to crank my E Dyne and Trad 4x12. That is so much damn fun I really don't mind the slight extra work involved. And for gigs, the head and a 2x12 is pretty easy.

That being said, I know what you mean and sometimes get caught in this mental vortext of weighing head/cab/modeler/FRFR options. At this point, bringing a comparable FRFR and FM3 doesn't seem like much less work than bringing my tube head and 2x12, so I may as well do the latter and keep my mind at ease/fully enjoy myself. And as for running the FM3 into the effect loop of the tube amp: if I'm bringing the tube amp, I'm going to use it and not a modeler.

All that being said, I am loving the FM3 modeling at home with my ASM-12 and am open to going "full modeler," I just can't make that call until I can get together with my band in person.

Anyway, don't mean to derail your thread, @Gasp100 . I hope you work it out and return to TGP at some point, though it's nice to see you over here, too.

Actually this banter is much appreciated. If you are saying that the Friedman gives you enough of the enjoyment of tone/feel with the FM3 to even begin to compete with the full Mesa tube rig (with FM3 incorporated) I think I might give the ASC/M 10 a shot.
When I do these reviews and go off about differences in tone/feel the reality is that they are VERY SMALL; I know that, I can deal with it at home and especially live. But having just a bit more depth, presence, push from my backline solution would be really great.
The Alto TS110a has served me well for years, probably one of the most used and longest kept pieces of gear I have had LOL.

If you are saying that the Friedman gives you enough of the enjoyment of tone/feel with the FM3 to even begin to compete with the full Mesa tube rig (with FM3 incorporated) I think I might give the ASC/M 10 a shot.
Yes, but I should emphasize all my Friedman use has been at home, at generally reasonable/“loud TV” volume levels; I really don’t know what to expect once I get it into a band scenario. But I do love it way more than any PA cab I’ve tried (EV, Yorkville). It is by far the most amp-like and familiar feeling option I’ve played.

I have been using the FM3 extensively at home with my Mesas and have no noise issues. Using the Boost/Pad function on Output 2 is super effective.
Good to know. Is that XLR->1/4 inch cable required btw? I remember hearing something about Fractal advising against this? Also, did you need to use a Humbuster cable?

Good to know. Is that XLR->1/4 inch cable required btw? I remember hearing something about Fractal advising against this? Also, did you need to use a Humbuster cable?

I use @Bakerman's method that doesn't use Output 1 and doesn't need an XLR>1/4 inch cable, works great. It's in a thread around here. I'm not using a Humbuster cable, however I have one in case it's needed at a gig or whatever.

Pulled the trigger on the ASC-10 (finally). Slated to arrive on Friday and I have a full band gig on Saturday so we shall see how it fares.

I use @Bakerman's method that doesn't use Output 1 and doesn't need an XLR>1/4 inch cable, works great. It's in a thread around here. I'm not using a Humbuster cable, however I have one in case it's needed at a gig or whatever.
I use Bakerman's method too when I run the FM3 in 4CM with my Mesa MKV - no noise, no tone suck whatsoever - using a humbuster cable between FM3 and FX Return - again, a dimed Out2 gives you good ole' Unity Gain...

I'm perhaps a little old skool when it comes to connections to amps - I like stuff over 1/4 "" jack rather than faffing about with XLR to TRS - XLR to me is FOH land only....

Speaking of "elsewhere"
59b90l.jpg

Back
Top Bottom