FM3 into PS170?

Can someone explain this unity thing to me?
Unity means you are giving your power amp the best signal - by using Out 2 to your FRFR or Poweramp and maxxing out the Out2 knob means you are pushing that optimal signal to that device.

essentially Unity means you are not adding or subtracting any volume (or gain) from that output - remember that amp levels within your preset will be dialled back a bit to stop overloading within a preset so achieving Unity at that Output 2 gives you the best chance of getting a clean/decent level signal out to your amp.

As an example, my Out 2 is maxxed on the knob and I run my amp levels (not the masters!!) in the -4 to -5 dB range which is a pretty healthy signal at Out 2 - this healthy signal gives me quite a bit of volume through the SD170 - if you are running anything less than Unity at Out 2 you lose a lot of volume but more importantly you lose a lot of feel and thump as the PowerAmp isn’t getting a decent signal in to amplify out.

IMO Unity is VERY important and is often overlooked...

I LOVE my FM3 through the returns of my EVH amps (two 50w heads in stereo) and into real cabs. It also sounds great through my Invective and it sounded great through my Friedman. All of those have stellar fx loops though.
Can you still play guitar with those t-rex arms? 🤔😂

Unity means you are giving your power amp the best signal - by using Out 2 to your FRFR or Poweramp and maxxing out the Out2 knob means you are pushing that optimal signal to that device.

essentially Unity means you are not adding or subtracting any volume (or gain) from that output - remember that amp levels within your preset will be dialled back a bit to stop overloading within a preset so achieving Unity at that Output 2 gives you the best chance of getting a clean/decent level signal out to your amp.

As an example, my Out 2 is maxxed on the knob and I run my amp levels (not the masters!!) in the -4 to -5 dB range which is a pretty healthy signal at Out 2 - this healthy signal gives me quite a bit of volume through the SD170 - if you are running anything less than Unity at Out 2 you lose a lot of volume but more importantly you lose a lot of feel and thump as the PowerAmp isn’t getting a decent signal in to amplify out.

IMO Unity is VERY important and is often overlooked...
Damn dude, this is huge. Thank you. I'm gonna give my straight up FM3 another try now before I go the 4CM route. That being said... what are you doing to combat signal clip and whatnot?

Damn dude, this is huge. Thank you. I'm gonna give my straight up FM3 another try now before I go the 4CM route. That being said... what are you doing to combat signal clip and whatnot?
Meters are your friend, use the block meters to make sure you are not overloading anything within the preset and then the clip lights on the outs and you are golden...

Also make sure your poweramp modelling is on - it’s puts a lot of dynamics back into the mix for me.

I only skimmed through the replies, but I absolutely LOVE the FM3 + PS170 into my Orange 1x12 that has a Vintage 30. I never even compared it to the effects return of my Friedman JJ Jr either, since I haven't actually turned my JJ Jr on since I got the FM3...

Fantastic! Just played two great acoustic duo gigs, sounds crazy but the places were packed and people were super into it. I make way more from duo then full band gigs and it is SO MUCH easier and many times a hell of a lot more fun. But yesterday the sound was great and the FX for spice with the tube pre and some light GEQ just worked perfectly.
So.... now I need to really get my full band rig in order. There is no question the FM3 sounds pretty amazing into FRFR, good with IEMS and PA. But something about the FRFR as backline is thin, 2D, plasticy even when I listen back to live stuff of iphone, etc.
I've done the FM3 into PS170 into 1x12 which is certainly viable, but recall being underwhelmed. I think I need to give that another shot as I have a nice 1x12 with Creamback M65 that goes with almost anything.
I know the Fryette Powerstation sounds killer, but it's simply too big and bulky for live. The PS170 is the ideal companion.
I know there is actually a PS200 out... maybe that will take things over the top for me?

After exhaustive testing I DO NOT like the FM3 (or any other digital modeler) in front of a tube amp. I don't even like it into the FX loop of tube amps. Very hard to describe but simply not good enough to justify the cost and configuration and cartage.

I know I go through gear like crazy, testing and retesting all options but it's clear the FM3 simply has to stay, even if just for acoustic gigs which are my main money-maker.
But I really want the FM3 to work in full band / backline setting. I still haven't tried that damn Friedman ASC10, but I'm super skeptical.
I have been a tube amp guy for many years, Marshalls, High Watt, Engl, others, but since you mention the ASC10, I own 2 of them and run them in stereo or mono depending. I feel it is the most like an amp in the room sound/feel vs FRFRs like P.A. monitors which of course should sound like a mic'd amp/speaker cab. Some feel they are a bit dark but with the correct low cut/eq settings and IR you can really dial in something beautiful and sexy even, that is if tube amps and good speaker cabs/IRs turn you on. Try the Friedman ASC10 or 12, the 12 is a heavy booger tho...

I’ve found that the FM3 sounds amazing into the Friedman Runt 20 return - makes for a nice backup too that also has flexible output. I was very surprised how good that is, really - into many difff back line cabs too. YMMV. Also have a SD170 and the original freyette ps. All sound amazing. The SD is great for how small and light it is, and the eq is super nice for diff rooms. The PS tube goodness is intoxicating at volume. My personal cabs are two Mesa 1x12 v30’s , or a 2x12 Dmark with neo classics ( a super light open back). With these choices, it’s hard to choose on a night out, but that’s part of the fun. My III lives with a. matrix gtx1000fx, which is also amazing IMO. Can’t go wrong with any really.

Last edited:
I LOVE my FM3 through the returns of my EVH amps (two 50w heads in stereo) and into real cabs. It also sounds great through my Invective and it sounded great through my Friedman. All of those have stellar fx loops though.
Do you disable power amp modeling when you’re running through the return of your 5150?

Do you disable power amp modeling when you’re running through the return of your 5150?

Typically, no. If I’m trying a new amp I’ll test with varying levels of sag but so far I’ve definitely liked all the models I’ve tried better with the sag higher than 0.0. Usually it’s set really low though—often at its lowest non-off setting (0.01).

Typically, no. If I’m trying a new amp I’ll test with varying levels of sag but so far I’ve definitely liked all the models I’ve tried better with the sag higher than 0.0. Usually it’s set really low though—often at its lowest non-off setting (0.01).
Awesome thank you! I have a 50 watt 5150 that I was considering trying with an FM3. Do you ever use 4CM or only direct into the return?

Haven't you had this rig 5 times already?

I only did the FM3 + 170 into cab once sometime last year. My Synergy SYN-30 into the same cab destroyed it... in fact, for pure amp tones the Synergy SYN-30 is almost unbeatable by any other option tube or otherwise. BUT... for gigging simplicity the FM3 reigns supreme! What I can do with one template that actually covers all my electric needs AND my acoustic needs is astounding.
For acoustic duo, which I stated is far more prevalent, easier and more rewarding monetarily (to keep me in the "gear game" LOL) no issues because it's all FRFR/PA.
For full band I've been using my Alto TS110a behind me on the mixing table for YEARS (first with AX8, now FM3). When I spend time away from the Alto TS110a and come back clearly it's a bit off - plastic, one dimensional, crispy, but it actually sounds better for guitar than say the DXR10 which is probably too "precise".
For some full band I hire sound and my guy uses EVZLX for wedges (yuk!) but I'm no diva and carrying ONLY the FM3 and guitar is literally heaven. Plus I know it crushes out of the mains.
When I bring sound I use a mix of IEMS - Shure PSM300 with KZ or SE215's which are "just ok", again I'm no diva. But for stage wash / backline I normally bring my Alto TS110a. And of course because of suboptimal IEM setup (Mono, no ambience, etc.) I frequently pull one IEM. I know that is not good, but I'm always sure to keep the IEM low and only really for vocal reference.
So, I still rely on something "good" behind me... I long for that full and rich body but with the clear and present high end detail to envelope in those gorgeous FX :) The FM3 crushes anything else on the market EXCEPT the Mobius -- the Mobius is my jam in front of a real amp!

So where do I go from here?
  • FM3 + SD PS170/200 into the cab knowing more about possible tweaks, but also knowing it's NEVER going to sound as good as a great tube amp? Note, I say GREAT because something like the Pro Reverb was just "good" and surely the PS170 rig can match or surpass that! $1400, no thanks!
  • Real amp with FX loop? Someone mentioned the Runt 20. I actually had the Runt 20 with AX8 and gigged that using the FX loop only and using cab simulation out of Runt 20 to mixer and I recall it sounding killer................. I might have to consider this option again. I've recently tried to go high brow with the Suhr PT15-IR which was amazing and using it in a similar context, but dang $2200 used is a LOT for essentially a tube power amp plus great cab simulated DI. Actually I used the Synergy SYN-30 the same way, but in all cases it's more gear and more convoluted.
  • Finally, FRFR or FRFR-like AGAIN??? You and I @JiveTurkey always discuss our disdain for high dollar FRFR shopping so I wonder why you feign surprise that I'm still on this quest? You are too!!!
  • CLR = unobtainium, who knows might be out of business for all I know, slow boat from China, too expensive for what it is... a decent powered monitor.
  • XiTone = hard to find used, I've just heard too many people I trust explain it's not better or even as good as CLR, etc.
  • EV, QSC, Yamaha = great bang for buck standard PA stuff but overall MEH for dedicated FRFR (IMHO)
  • Friedman ASC/ASM10 = again, hard to find used and not cheap considering new plus tax... Just seems like a little snake oil to me, like how much different can it REALLY be vs. other FRFR solutions outlined or even PS170 into a real cab.
  • These questions have plagued me for years once I got into the digital game and still do. I think if 99% of the people did some true soul searching they would admit the best digital rig through FRFR can sound amazing and be incredibly flexible, but a pure high quality tube amp and cab for those simple core tones STILL WINS. I'm just trying to get closer to filling that gap, that's all.

Reactions: JTI
I only did the FM3 + 170 into cab once sometime last year. My Synergy SYN-30 into the same cab destroyed it... in fact, for pure amp tones the Synergy SYN-30 is almost unbeatable by any other option tube or otherwise. BUT... for gigging simplicity the FM3 reigns supreme! What I can do with one template that actually covers all my electric needs AND my acoustic needs is astounding.
For acoustic duo, which I stated is far more prevalent, easier and more rewarding monetarily (to keep me in the "gear game" LOL) no issues because it's all FRFR/PA.
For full band I've been using my Alto TS110a behind me on the mixing table for YEARS (first with AX8, now FM3). When I spend time away from the Alto TS110a and come back clearly it's a bit off - plastic, one dimensional, crispy, but it actually sounds better for guitar than say the DXR10 which is probably too "precise".
For some full band I hire sound and my guy uses EVZLX for wedges (yuk!) but I'm no diva and carrying ONLY the FM3 and guitar is literally heaven. Plus I know it crushes out of the mains.
When I bring sound I use a mix of IEMS - Shure PSM300 with KZ or SE215's which are "just ok", again I'm no diva. But for stage wash / backline I normally bring my Alto TS110a. And of course because of suboptimal IEM setup (Mono, no ambience, etc.) I frequently pull one IEM. I know that is not good, but I'm always sure to keep the IEM low and only really for vocal reference.
So, I still rely on something "good" behind me... I long for that full and rich body but with the clear and present high end detail to envelope in those gorgeous FX :) The FM3 crushes anything else on the market EXCEPT the Mobius -- the Mobius is my jam in front of a real amp!

So where do I go from here?
  • FM3 + SD PS170/200 into the cab knowing more about possible tweaks, but also knowing it's NEVER going to sound as good as a great tube amp? Note, I say GREAT because something like the Pro Reverb was just "good" and surely the PS170 rig can match or surpass that! $1400, no thanks!
  • Real amp with FX loop? Someone mentioned the Runt 20. I actually had the Runt 20 with AX8 and gigged that using the FX loop only and using cab simulation out of Runt 20 to mixer and I recall it sounding killer................. I might have to consider this option again. I've recently tried to go high brow with the Suhr PT15-IR which was amazing and using it in a similar context, but dang $2200 used is a LOT for essentially a tube power amp plus great cab simulated DI. Actually I used the Synergy SYN-30 the same way, but in all cases it's more gear and more convoluted.
  • Finally, FRFR or FRFR-like AGAIN??? You and I @JiveTurkey always discuss our disdain for high dollar FRFR shopping so I wonder why you feign surprise that I'm still on this quest? You are too!!!
  • CLR = unobtainium, who knows might be out of business for all I know, slow boat from China, too expensive for what it is... a decent powered monitor.
  • XiTone = hard to find used, I've just heard too many people I trust explain it's not better or even as good as CLR, etc.
  • EV, QSC, Yamaha = great bang for buck standard PA stuff but overall MEH for dedicated FRFR (IMHO)
  • Friedman ASC/ASM10 = again, hard to find used and not cheap considering new plus tax... Just seems like a little snake oil to me, like how much different can it REALLY be vs. other FRFR solutions outlined or even PS170 into a real cab.
  • These questions have plagued me for years once I got into the digital game and still do. I think if 99% of the people did some true soul searching they would admit the best digital rig through FRFR can sound amazing and be incredibly flexible, but a pure high quality tube amp and cab for those simple core tones STILL WINS. I'm just trying to get closer to filling that gap, that's all.
Mustang GT or GTFO.

Back
Top Bottom