FM3 Into Power Amp and Cab

Hi/ you mention not adding the cab to out 2. So, Are you adding the cab block at the end of the chain for out 1? I usually put my cab right after the amp block with my verbs etc after the cab block?

I want to have output 1 w/cab for FOH and output 2 into a power amp into my 4x12. I guess putting the cab block at the end works ok? I’m know I could check it out myself, but I’m at work and need to get this out of my mind. :)

Lots of guys disable the Cab Block/Modeling when running into a power amp/guitar cab setup out of Out 2.

I prefer to keep the Cab Block on and in play.

Lots of guys disable the Cab Block/Modeling when running into a power amp/guitar cab setup out of Out 2.

I prefer to keep the Cab Block on and in play.
Oh, yes, that i’d exactly how want to do it. I just was not sure if the FOH makes a difference if the cab ir is at the end of the chsin or before the delay and verb blocks in the middle of the chain.

Not an FM3 but an FM9, I run it into two 2x12 cabs; a Mesa with Black Shadows and an old Line 6 cab with WGS Retro 30’s.

I have my III in the studio I use with HS-5’s and while I love it for recording, for general jamming or playing live, I really prefer actual guitar cabs. I’m powering them with a PS170 and a BAM200, I use the EQ on those to get the cabs a little more in line, EQ-wise, with each other and at most I’m using the EQ in the amp block to shape anything any further past the Authentic/Ideal page.

Hi folks,

Qq: How do you route your FM3 presets for having:
  • Out1 going stereo to FOH with Cab block/IR enabled
  • Out2 going into a poweramp + guitar cab with Cab block/IR out of the signal path
Thanks!
Have you read Section 4 in the manual? It covers the various uses for the outputs on the unit and the scenarios for using them. In particular p. 33 should help but the first page of the section should be read too.

Thanks Greg! I believe I missed this signal chain path diagram:
1657900274513.png

Having the cab block at the end of the signal chain that goes to FOH (Out1): Is this the best solution and does it have any disadvantages in terms of sound?

I never tried like this as I usually set up AMP and CAB blocks next to each other.

Thank you FAS community! You guys rock \m/

Hi/ you mention not adding the cab to out 2. So, Are you adding the cab block at the end of the chain for out 1? I usually put my cab right after the amp block with my verbs etc after the cab block?

I want to have output 1 w/cab for FOH and output 2 into a power amp into my 4x12. I guess putting the cab block at the end works ok? I’m know I could check it out myself, but I’m at work and need to get this out of my mind. :)

This is how my presets look like:

1657914334117.png

To have a stereo signal, it's important to have to panned IRs in your cab block and input mode "stereo".
And - if you want mono on out 1, you can just change your output mode in your setup under I/O - super handy!

Thanks Greg! I believe I missed this signal chain path diagram:
View attachment 104943

Having the cab block at the end of the signal chain that goes to FOH (Out1): Is this the best solution and does it have any disadvantages in terms of sound?

I never tried like this as I usually set up AMP and CAB blocks next to each other.
Yes, it’s the best solution.

The cab block, because it’s running the IR, is basically a filter sitting at whatever point in the chain you placed it, so it doesn’t really matter if it’s in the traditional slot immediately after the Amp block or later. Nice huh!

4 x EL34 tube power into a semi-open 2 x 12 on a tiltback combo amp stand. Love, love, love it! :)

I run out of Out 2 to the FX Return of the Tube amp, and then Out 1 goes to FOH, but only for
gigs. Rehearsals we don't use FOH. Just wedges for vocals.
This is the ticket! I cant speak for these solid state poweramps like the SD powerstage but I was not totally satisfied with the FM3 until I ran it through my EVH fx loop. Best of both worlds. Also, now I have an amp/cab or FM3 for the gig if either decide to take a dump out there.

Last edited:
Here is how I have my routing setup

1658804954278.png

Out 2 goes to my amp fx loop in and Out 1 goes to FOH/PA. Works really well with my Catalyst 100 as a "power cab".

-Frank

I’m in the honeymoon phase but so far the Line 6 Powercab is really delivering the goods for me. I have a CLR and also power amp and several cabs but I think the Powercab gives me the best of both worlds- FRFR or regular guitar cab with built in power am. I think it even does FRFR and regular guitar cab simultaneousl- so If you use acoustic on some songs, go FRFR on input 2 of the power cab and input 1 is the modeled guitar speaker. Really cool and sounds great.

There was a post with a table showing different amp/cab blocks settings for going out to FRFR or amp+cab (iarsee?!?) maybe someone can chime in (can't seem to find it)

That could help with the tone as well

I play in two bands and use a variety of output options. For each preset, I break out to the two separate outputs (mono only). The break out happens right before the cab block. Cab block goes to Out 1 and the break out with out the cab goes to Out 2. Out 1 goes to an FRFR 1x12. In the FM3 settings, I duplicate the left Out 1 to right Out 1. Right Out 1 goes to front of house. Out 2 (without the Cab block) goes to my Orange Pedal Baby 100 sitting on a cab (usually my Orange PPC412). I've really loved this setup for the louder band I play in. The quieter band, I usually just use the FRFR 1x12 for one stage and front of house, no power amp/cab on stage.

It is interesting to me, that a fractal device, being a so called amp modeler which can be used to try and model real amps and cabs/Mics, is being used in may ways that really do not replicate the real thing. Instead it becomes its own thing and sound. This is especially true on the post device sound reproduction system be it FRFR or a guitar cab/speaker. But even within the device preset setup most presets have the delay-reverb-time effects after the cab. Most real amps with EFX such as these have them before the speaker. Again not really the same, so what are you modeling? To me the Fractal devices and other similar ones are basically another kind of a programable pre-amp multi-fx system. Essentially a highly programable pedal system that gets externally amplified. What you create with this is up to you and that's the beauty of it.

Now play fm3 to fx return of mesa mark 3 simul with two el 34 to mesa thiele loaded with celestion redback. Its killing all my used setups. Tested ps 170 and matrix but sound was far far away from it. And finaly if one thing is gone other is backup i can play only with mesa and only with fm3 where i have presets stright to foh

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom