FM3 Into Power Amp and Cab

frankencat

Inspired
I have been running my FM3 into the power amp in on my Line 6 Catalyst 100 at home and it’s pretty cool for jamming and such. I have some nice speaker cabs as well and I am thinking of running it into a power amp and cab setup. Tell me about your experiences please. Thanks!

Though it's not how I thought I'd be using it, running my FM3 into a power amp into a traditional cab is my (slightly) preferred set up. I've got a couple of great sounding FRFR's so I'm covered either way. The thing that I found, and this totally makes sense, is that certain amp models sound best through certain speaker cabs. For instance, my "Marshall" presets sound best through a 4x12 and don't sound nearly as bold into a 1x12. And why would they? So what I'm saying is, just like with "real" amps, the speaker and cab make a huge difference.

I've got a variety of cabs, so having the FM3 and a power amp kinda gives me a literal shit-load of amps. Is it exactly the same as having the real amps? I have no idea, but I'm loving it and it sounds fantastic, so who cares. As far as gigging goes, I prefer the power amp/cab route, but you do lose some flexibility and I think a valid argument can be made for using IR's instead of a real cab. For me, I have a few presets dialed in for a 1x12 cab and also a signal with the cab block to run to FOH. Sound persons like the direct signal and I get the sound of a traditional cab on stage.

Anyway, in my experience, yes, it's absolutely worth it to get yourself a power amp and run your FM3 into a cab. Even more so since you already have some nice cabs. I'm using a ps100 for my power amp but others here can give you their experience with other brands and models. Gear is fun!!

I started with a power amp and cab (SD PS200 into a 2x12), but recently switched to FRFR. Getting a good quality FRFR (EV PXM12 MP) convinced me to make the switch. The cheaper FRFR cabs I tried sounded horrible, but the EV sounds as good as the power amp + 2x12 to me. Plus there’s a lot more flexibility in sound. I have a fake acoustic patch that works well, and switching to different amp/cab models sounds better now. With the poweramp + cab the coloration from that side of the setup itself really dictates what kind of sounds you can get. For most situations that’s just fine, since that’s how traditional guitar rigs have always worked, but having more options is really nice. Plus it’s smaller and more easily positioned in front of me to make the FOH engineers happier.

-Aaron

4 x EL34 tube power into a semi-open 2 x 12 on a tiltback combo amp stand. Love, love, love it! :)

I run out of Out 2 to the FX Return of the Tube amp, and then Out 1 goes to FOH, but only for
gigs. Rehearsals we don't use FOH. Just wedges for vocals.

I also keep Power Amp and Cab Modeling on Globally. I believe it is recommended to
turn them off when using a stand alone Power Amp and Guitar Cab. I tried. I prefer the
sound with those in the "On" position.

Oh, and I have several FRFR options at my disposal. I am not averse to using them, and
have. I just like the sound I get pairing the FM3 with a tube power section and not having
a tweeter in the mix behind me.

My primary rig is:
FM3 into the effects return of 2 Marshall JCM900s into 2 Marshall 1936 2x12 cabs run in stereo. Really like this setup.
Power Amp modeling turned off and no cab modeling.

Smaller rig is:
FM3 into the effects return of Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo. I use the Cab Simulated output of the 6505+ when I need to run it through the PA. It does a really good job, much better than expected.
Power Amp modeling turned off and no cab modeling.

I'm very pleased with the FM3 in both these rigs. I've also tried it using a SS power amp into a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab. That sounded great too, maybe slightly better than a tube power amp. I turned on Power Amp modeling when I did this but kept Cab Modeling off. Fractal's Power Amp modeling is really nice.

I'm running my FM3 into an Orange Pedalbaby 100 into a Bogner 212CB or a Bogner Cube. Both cabs have the Marshall UK V30s and sound absolutely incredible! I get all the punch and bottom end I would get from a head and cab setup. I've been happy with this for quite some time now.

FM3>SD Powerstage 170>Mesa v30 loaded thiele cab. I keep the powerstage bellow half to be safe. Get more compliments on my sound than ever before. Cuts like a knife with a loud drummer and other guitarist using 5150 50 watt into an incredibly oversized 2x12.

Music Rm

Option1 - Yamaha HS8 FRFR.
Option2 - 2xMB112 ported v30 closed bk guitar cabs powered by 2xEhx Magnum 44s L/R.
Option3 - 212 C90s open back guitar cab powered by H+K head p.a. L and Blackstar head p.a. R.
Option4 - 2xload boxes fed by H+K head L and Blackstar head R, and fed into built in H+K redbox cabsim L and IR loaded into Mooer Radar IR host pedal R.
Option5 - 2xAtomic FR Cabs powered by Matrix GT1000Fx L/R.

All options yummy w Axefx.

Last edited:
I prefer playing with a real cab. I dial in at really high volumes with my cab, after that, find an IR which works.
A few tips if you plan similar presets:

• out 2 block at level 0 to hit unity gain
  • out 2 knob fully clockwise for unity gain
  • out 2 config unity gain
  • EQ filter right before out 2 and high cut 12db slope to remove the super nasty high end
  • don't add the cab block in your out 2 signal path ...
  • amp block speaker compression to 0
  • amp block output mode SS power amp and cab
  • try different speaker imp curves! those have a really big impact on your tones!

I use a SD PS170 with various cabs at home when the mood strikes.
  • Closed back 2x12 with a V30 and CL80 for higher gain
  • Closed back 2x12 with a Greenback and V-Type for Marshall models
  • Open back 1x12 with Weber Blue Dog for AC30-ish sounds
  • Open back 1x10 with C10Q for clean Fender models

I have a SS matrix GT1000 Fx and use 2 1/12 matrix speakers for a nice stereo effect. Can’t remember all my settings as I’ve had it so long now but the sound is just fantastic. Live playing I still use my EVH 50 watt tube head into 2/12 cab miced up.

Hi folks,

Qq: How do you route your FM3 presets for having:
  • Out1 going stereo to FOH with Cab block/IR enabled
  • Out2 going into a poweramp + guitar cab with Cab block/IR out of the signal path
Thanks!

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Guitar-Power-Amplifiers.gc

Fryette and Engl are supposed to be really nice. I personally use a JCM900 and just plug into the FX return. It's kind'a bulky but I had a pair of them already. I tried a Crown XLi 2500 SS power amp and turned on the Fractal power amp modeling. I actually thought this was better and could be tweaked to whatever you want. It's kind'a of cool in the power amp modeling to change the tube types. KT88s, 6L6s, EL34s, whatever you want.

Whatever tube power amp you get is what get, hopefully you like it, and you probably will. Otherwise, you can spend hundreds of dollars buying different types of tubes and biasing them. That's what I did until I found the power tubes I really liked.

Now I'd rather get a nice SS power amp and turn a few knobs.

4 x EL34 tube power into a semi-open 2 x 12 on a tiltback combo amp stand. Love, love, love it! :)

I run out of Out 2 to the FX Return of the Tube amp, and then Out 1 goes to FOH, but only for
gigs. Rehearsals we don't use FOH. Just wedges for vocals.
Excellent avatar. My favourite album by my favourite axe hero 🙂

FM3 into AT G210A ST. That’s it for me. Loud, light and flat as a pancake. Homecooked presets that sound well on my studiomonitors translate very well, on low volumes as well as on trouser flapping mayhem.

FM3 --> SD PS170 --> Mesa 4x12 (Practice)
FM3 --> SD PS170 --> Bogner 1x12 (Stage)

I just recently purchased a Fryette PS-2A to check out. While it has a lot of nice features - most of which I will probably not use, I'm not sure it is that much better/different of a sound. I recorded some files last week that I plan on posting sometime soon. Just my .02.

I prefer playing with a real cab. I dial in at really high volumes with my cab, after that, find an IR which works.
A few tips if you plan similar presets:

• out 2 block at level 0 to hit unity gain
  • out 2 knob fully clockwise for unity gain
  • out 2 config unity gain
  • EQ filter right before out 2 and high cut 12db slope to remove the super nasty high end
  • don't add the cab block in your out 2 signal path ...
  • amp block speaker compression to 0
  • amp block output mode SS power amp and cab
  • try different speaker imp curves! those have a really big impact on your tones!
Hi/ you mention not adding the cab to out 2. So, Are you adding the cab block at the end of the chain for out 1? I usually put my cab right after the amp block with my verbs etc after the cab block?

I want to have output 1 w/cab for FOH and output 2 into a power amp into my 4x12. I guess putting the cab block at the end works ok? I’m know I could check it out myself, but I’m at work and need to get this out of my mind. :)

Back
Top Bottom