FM3 Incoming

Madtone

So after much pondering and procrastination, I’ve finally taken the plunge into the Fractal world and ordered an FM3. The excitement levels are high as are my expectations. I'm coming from a Headrush Gigboard, which was my first foray into the modelling world and has done me ok until now.

I’ve been following this forum for a while now so know there’s plenty of knowledgeable people out there, so thought I’d tap into that knowledge and for fun to keep me going until it arrives, ask the following rather open ended questions

What should I expect and what advice can you offer a Fractal newbie?

Thanks in advance.

Expect a bit of a learning curve, but also excellent sounds!

Read the manuals while you wait:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/rtfm-read-the-fine-manual.159203/

I suggest starting with the FM3 manual, then the Footswitch Functions Guide.

The Blocks Guide is good, too, but tends towards more of a reference manual than something most people would "read".

Also, expect to get lots of help and information from the forum - especially if you come with a positive attitude and energy.

Welcome and congrats!

I'm super excited for you, I also came from Headrush (MX5) and Fractal will impress you in every aspect. From hardware, software, support, the community and FAS as a company, everything has been an exponentially better experience than with Headrush.

@unix-guy is one of the legends around here and has mentioned some great steps to begin with

Also, YouTube is your friend there's tons of videos on there covering almost anything you can come up against or want to learn about, and many posting full presets (called rigs in the HR world) or blocks (called presets in Headrush) that you can save and upload to your FM3.

There's so many helpful people here on the forum, and so many threads to learn from on here you can use the search function and find all kinds of cool stuff previously talked about. Here is a great thread on getting better search results from @iaresee

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...es-tips-and-tricks.151282/page-3#post-2463593

And lastly, welcome to the community. You're going to love the FM3.

“unix-guy” said:
Read the manuals while you wait
RTFM one of my favourite sayings:). I have been browsing the manual as part of my research. It’s a bit difficult to follow without the unit in front of me, but I’m sure it will become clear when it arrives. I intend to learn how to set up and adjust presets from the unit before I dive into FX edit, so I know how to make adjustment on the fly at gigs,

“TwinbornAxis” said:
I also came from Headrush (MX5) and Fractal will impress you in every aspect
Good to hear that. I’ve also watched lots of videos as part of my research and while they all sounds great, it’s good to hear the experience of someone who has made the switch. The Headrush was a good first step into modelling, and the touchscreen made it easy but I got to find the sounds were a bit lacking and missing something.

Congrats and good luck!

I remember when I posted something similar, someone said something along the lines of "get ready for the most inspiring piece of gear you've ever bought"....and I honestly rolled my eyes a bit (but kept it to myself).

Yeah...whoever that was turned out to be right.

I'm sure it's not for literally everyone, that there are people who just won't get along with it or who really can't deal with the slightly old-school completely un-tablet-like UI or who get buried in the options and the almost arbitrary-seeming limitations. But...I have a hard time imagining such a person.

What should I expect

One of the most flexible and inspiring pieces of gear out there.

what advice can you offer a Fractal newbie?

Go through the factory presets. They're actually flat-out gig/stadium-worthy, unlike basically every other multi-fx/modeler I've tried.

You might wind up like me, not want to use any of them, and wipe them off your device (you can get them back). Or you could end up absolutely loving some of them. I don't remember all the details, but I'm pretty sure Cooper Carter was involved in something like a Superbowl Halftime Show...that ended up using a factory preset. Maybe it was Maroon 5. Maybe it wasn't the Superbowl...but something huge like that.

If nothing else, you will learn things from analyzing them.

There are also a lot of different ways to use it. All of the factory presets and it seems like most users either use presets and scenes or setlists and songs. I don't. I re-map all of my footswitches per-preset and use it more like a traditional pedalboard. Because I just want to. And because I find it more flexible - each preset effectively loads the footswitch configuration I want for that preset using per-preset overrides.

Also, whatever silly idea you have...someone here is going to have an opinion, solution, or advice if you need it.

If you use YouTube, go ahead and subscribe to G66, Cooper Carter, John Nathan Cordy, and Leon Todd. Leon and Cooper are on this forum at least sporadically, and they all have interesting ideas that will teach you about a lot of things you can do with it that you probably wouldn't think of on your own. Whether you use them long term or not, sometimes it's just fun to play. I don't play metal, but I think I've learned more from Leon Todd than from any other single source (not to insult the others - I just like his presentation style).

I intend to learn how to set up and adjust presets from the unit before I dive into FX edit, so I know how to make adjustment on the fly at gigs,

That's worth doing, at least to a degree.

BUT....

IMHO, FM3-Edit (or FM9-edit/Axe-edit, etc.) is amazing and much simpler. There are things you can't do in the software that you can do on the device (or at least that I can't find in the software). But....you're probably not going to re-wire a pedalboard at a gig...you're probably going to turn knobs and not much else.

Once you know how to navigate to the knobs you might need to turn and put the ones that you're really likely to turn on the Perform and PP-Perform pages...IMHO, that's plenty good enough for making adjustments on the fly at gigs.

Also, learn how to save a preset to a new preset number on both FM3-Edit and the device....and do that when you're tweaking. You might never go back to a previous version...but they're really nice to have.

My "kitchen sink" preset is called "602v25-2exp". Which means that it's the 25th version of my main preset that I started on firmware version 6.02 and is made to work with 2 expression pedals. It makes sense to me. And for one of the few times, I had an issue and had to go back to v24 to figure out something that I had done wrong (just the other day).

I would recommend learning by using FM3 Edit first and then once you are very comfortable making all your changes with that begin to figure out how to do the same on the unit itself.
I agree with this. The video Ron posted looks great for using the unit, but I found it easier to learn the unit through FM3Edit first. Maybe just the way my brain works.

Lots of great advice above. As most people stated, the best thing to do is dive into the presets and find a good one to start with. Copy it to an open spot and start tweaking.

FWIW: I was able to get up and running well enough to use mine at a rehearsal in about a couple of hours. I posted about the experience: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/first-time-user-crash-course-experience.166654/. You may want to look through that since I highlighted a couple of things that got me out of the gate (like FM3 Edit not seeming to work because it was going through its preset mapping process). I came from using an Elevenrack so had some experience with modelers, but had never used Fractal stuff before. Sounds like I did a lot of the same prep you did.

I made this short video for FM3 newbies. It focuses on learning to use the front panel.

Cool, thanks for making that, I actually watched that yesterday evening while binge watching YouTube FM3 vids and found it very helpful in helping to understand navigating the front panel

I agree with this. The video Ron posted looks great for using the unit, but I found it easier to learn the unit through FM3Edit first. Maybe just the way my brain works.

Lots of great advice above. As most people stated, the best thing to do is dive into the presets and find a good one to start with. Copy it to an open spot and start tweaking.

FWIW: I was able to get up and running well enough to use mine at a rehearsal in about a couple of hours. I posted about the experience: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/first-time-user-crash-course-experience.166654/. You may want to look through that since I highlighted a couple of things that got me out of the gate (like FM3 Edit not seeming to work because it was going through its preset mapping process). I came from using an Elevenrack so had some experience with modelers, but had never used Fractal stuff before. Sounds like I did a lot of the same prep you did.

And here’s me panicking about getting it ready to gig with in 10 days time 😂

I remember when I posted something similar, someone said something along the lines of "get ready for the most inspiring piece of gear you've ever bought"....and I honestly rolled my eyes a bit (but kept it to myself).

Yeah...whoever that was turned out to be right.
I’ll take your word for it 😃 Thanks for the top tips.

I would recommend learning by using FM3 Edit first and then once you are very comfortable making all your changes with that begin to figure out how to do the same on the unit itself.

Hadn’t thought of doing it that way round, more worried about an upcoming gig and panicking about needing to change things on the fly 😱

I suppose taking this approach will help me get my own presets up and running quicker.

Back
Top Bottom