FM3 + HX Effects

felken

Inspired
Anyone using this combo?

Seems like it might be a good way to use the FM3 for modeling and cabs mostly and the HXFX for effects.

You would also get 6 additional switches to integrate into the FM3/HXFX rig plus the tap tempo on the HXFX. So 10 useful switches total.

I plan on getting an FM3 when my spot comes up (I have an AxeFX2 already) and have just bought the HXFX for my tube amp rig. The HXFX works really well for me as an effects processor in 4 cable method on my tube amp. Easy interface to use live, good effects, and lots of preset/snapshot possibilities that are pretty easy to make.

If I want to go digital the FM3+HXFX would be nice I think. No rack gear to haul etc.

I don't like being limited to 3 switches so the thought occurred to me to use this combo. I can see the HX fitting well into the FM3 via effects loops in the 2 units.

I suspect assigning buttons to control features on respective units could be configured via midi.

I wonder if the FM3 could trigger snapshot changes on the HXFX and the HXFX could trigger scene changes etc on the FM3 without too much hassle in programming.

Does anyone have insight on this?

why not just get the FC6 to go along with the FM3? Then you have the functionality you want and can use Fractal's superior fx.

Because I own the HXFX already. If it can be used in place of the FC6 and it can bring good effects into the mix at the same time it seems it may be a better choice than the FC6 in some cases.

All the FC6 does is increase the footswitches for the FM3. The FC6 cannot be used as an effects processor for other gear.

The HXFX adds the switches and offloads a lot of effects processing from the FM3.

Last edited:
The HXFX adds the switches and offloads a lot of effects processing from the FM3.

If you find you like them better use that method. You can also use the midi commands to make changes and have 9 switches with tempo. I used my HXFX for my III before the FC's were out. With the scribbles strips it worked out pretty well. Have your presets be different layers and you will have something similar. A little more work but you can get there.

It could be a good setup if a little redundant in some ways. Especially since so many of the Fractal’s FX are great but certainly no harm in trying it. Another option that would be easy is with the new Command Center Feature on the newest firmware update, it would be really easy to use the HXFX as a MIDI controller only for snapshot / preset and FX toggle etc.

I’ve done this with a Helix floor and some guitar plugins and it’s super easy to program the MIDI commands on the Line 6 and this would also work for you FM3

That sounds really good. Some people report running out if dsp on the FM3 so it seems to me offloading some effects into the hx and gaining more switches is a good thing.

I don't have an FM3 yet so.... But sure is nice to know this is a possibility.

Yeah for sure. I could see that being a good move if you need some complex routing / FX heavy stuff. Use each one to their strengths.

I have an FM3 with an HX Effects, you can use this setup for either of the scenarios you mentioned above. It is not difficult to setup. Use the midi block in the FM3 to select snapshots on the HX Effects.
Can you post a picture of these side by side? Have you tried a 4CM with the FM3 and HXFX? How easy would it be to integrate some additional external stomp boxes/fuzzes/drives etc...? I'm just trying to imagine an all in one pedal board with the best of Fractal, Line 6 and your favourite effects?
The fact that the HXFX can switch the channels on your amp as well as midi control with the FM3 would make this combo super super versatile.

I'm using a Spectral Tempus reverb pedal in conjunction with the FM3 and using the MIDI block to adjust presets on it. Having that in the effects loop frees up so much CPU that I'm able to make patches quite comparable to what I had on the AF2. Having an outboard FX processor is a significant expansion of options, IMO.

Anyone using this combo?

Seems like it might be a good way to use the FM3 for modeling and cabs mostly and the HXFX for effects.

You would also get 6 additional switches to integrate into the FM3/HXFX rig plus the tap tempo on the HXFX. So 10 useful switches total.

I plan on getting an FM3 when my spot comes up (I have an AxeFX2 already) and have just bought the HXFX for my tube amp rig. The HXFX works really well for me as an effects processor in 4 cable method on my tube amp. Easy interface to use live, good effects, and lots of preset/snapshot possibilities that are pretty easy to make.

If I want to go digital the FM3+HXFX would be nice I think. No rack gear to haul etc.

I don't like being limited to 3 switches so the thought occurred to me to use this combo. I can see the HX fitting well into the FM3 via effects loops in the 2 units.

I suspect assigning buttons to control features on respective units could be configured via midi.

I wonder if the FM3 could trigger snapshot changes on the HXFX and the HXFX could trigger scene changes etc on the FM3 without too much hassle in programming.

Does anyone have insight on this?

I'm using the HXFX to control an AMP1 Iridium, which is pretty awesome btw, but I want to try the HXFX with an FM3. I had an FM3 but sold it a few months ago but.....sold off my big tube amps and may as well get another FM3. Has anyone else played around with the MIDI programming yet? And the HXFX are on par for the most part with the FM3, Fractal's verbs may be a little better but there's soo much in the HXFX that's more than good enough and super easy to tweak.

I currently have an HX Stomp in my Out2/In2 Loop. I also have a FC6.
Main purpose for me is the PolyCapo is way better than the FM3s Virtual Capo.
But another added benefit is you can free up some CPU %
Thanks to this thread I wonder if HXFX would be a better way to go for myself.
I really like the OMG9 workflow, but I bet the HXFX switching between Scenes & Stomps & Presets would get me where I need to be??? Plus HXFX has Scribble Strips which I prefer over something like a MC6 Morningstar for my Use

That sounds really good. Some people report running out if dsp on the FM3 so it seems to me offloading some effects into the hx and gaining more switches is a good thing.

I don't have an FM3 yet so.... But sure is nice to know this is a possibility.
Nice to hear from others that this is possible!

But I run plenty of FX in my signal chain and never run out of DSP, comp, 2 Hi Res cabs, gate, Delay, Rotary, and reverb

I haven't tried this combo, but I have set up the MIDI for Logic to make scene/preset and Control Changes and programming the MIDI on the FM3 was really easy.

Interesting post. Also have a HXFX and FM3, but had no time yet to “combine” those two.
I plan to use the HX as a controller for the FM3. Looked at moving some FX from the FM3 to the HX, but frankly speaking, the FX of the FM3 is superior.

I agree for the most part the FX on the FM3 are superior with a few exceptions. The PolyPitch and simple pitch on the Helix are better to my ear for certain uses, like tuning down a few steps, they sound better to my ear. I also like the 70's chorus on the Helix better, especially for bass, and again on bass I like the Darkglass B7k model on the Helix better than the one on the FM3. Other than those I tend to prefer the FX on the Fractal, especially Reverbs and Delays. Then there are a number of FX that are about equally as good on both some of the other modulation and compression FX and drive pedals and EQ have really good but different on both units so you can definitely off load some processing to the Helix with good results for sure.

Back
Top Bottom